View Single Post
Citizen

Ruby Jewel 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Tango View Post
Ruby, my touchstone to the physical world is through the perception of the visible--it is why I have chased the image through fine art photography for over 50 years. The capture of a small but emblematic element of a larger scene--taking a slice of four dimensional reality and crystallizing it in two dimensions is magical. Hence, my core appreciation for the imagery of the Tarot...

From the Platonic line, I very much think that the Allegory of the Cave applies wholly to the archetypes and motifs of the cards. Through them, we have an opportunity to "think" or see beyond the shadows cast in our minds. A chance to reckon outside of things obscured by bias--and to see truths and possibilities for what they are--instead of what we wish them to be.

As an aside, it was not bravery that made good my escape from academia--it was my disgust for the multiple levels of politics--departmental, university, and public engagement. It was with the naivety of The Fool that I decamped. Be careful of what one asks for. Instead of relief, my 'reward' was 15 years deciphering and administrating various bureaucracies...

The cards DID NOT see that coming!
I tend, rather than Plato's cave, to relate to Nietzsche's theory of "the camel, the lion and the child" wherein one must be a lion and and pick fights, become a camel and go alone into the desert, and ultimately forgive like a child. Is not this theory of Nietzsche's the way of the tarot reader of the past as well as the future who has always had to contend with being accused of dealing in esoteric "shadows" in contrast to empirical truths. An attempt to define knowledge in spiritual or esoteric terms is reminiscent of the "shadows" on the wall of the cave. Thus, although Plato's transcendent forms are intuited, there is little, if any, hope of convincing a pragmatic empiricist that intuitive philosophical theories are superior to empirical facts. Education has, in my opinion, now lacking a philosophical basis, gone underground leaving the Emperor's throne vacant. Who will fill that vacancy? Computers perhaps...or even robots. Those of us who define reality in transcendent, esoteric and spiritual terms are the camel/lion/child of the future.....when the day arrives that the robot inevitably outsmarts the human. Placating ignorance is, I feel, a fatal error.
Top   #16