Book That Teaches How To Ask A Question

sunstallion

I am looking for great books that teach you how to ask the question when doing tarot readings.

Does anyone know a good book that you can recommend ?

Thanks

Sentient

While this member has been banned, he nonetheless asks a good question.

The quality (and clarity) of the question asked has powerful effect on the quality and clarity of the answer received. A little extra effort getting the question right tends to have a large payoff.

So, what are some helpful guidelines to follow?

Although many books address this topic, I personally have read no better advice that that found in Joan Bunning's Learning the Tarot. Her Lesson 7: Writing a Question is only 3 pages long, but it's a little gem that contains wisdom that extends well beyond the question itself.

When I work with total novices, how to frame questions is one of the first "serious" lessons I teach, after covering basic definitions. In my opinion this section alone is worth the price of the book.

For those who have the book, what do you think of this lesson?

Nemia

I agree, it's very good. Spiritual Tarot also has a good section on questions, albeit short and with a silly illustration.

IMHO asking a good question is the key to a successful reading. Ask a question that brings lots of information, and the reading is full of information and makes you think. Ask for a dry "yes or no" and the reading may fall flat because if you wanted to know more, well, you didn't ask for it....

Barleywine

I generally keep my questions in line with the old "5 W's" model, although with a slightly different plan of attack. When I was learning about sentence structure and different "voices" in writing, it was "Who, What, Why, Where and When." With tarot questions, it's more likely to work best as "What and Why" (with the addition of "How") and to a lesser extent "Who," with "When and Where" a very distant fifth and sixth. I don't usually start any question with "Can," "Does" or "Will" (or any other word that demands a "Yes" or "No" answer), and while I'm at it I weed out anything to do with "thinks" or "feels" and their more imaginative euphemisms. So I pretty much stay out of psychological profiling territory.

To answer the question directly, recently someone here mentioned that one of Mary K. Greer's books has good advice on question structure but I can't recall it's title. Almost any reasonably comprehensive beginner's book will at least touch on the subject, since it is (or should be) part of "Tarot 101."

CrystalSeas

Although many books address this topic, I personally have read no better advice that that found in Joan Bunning's Learning the Tarot. Her Lesson 7: Writing a Question is only 3 pages long, but it's a little gem that contains wisdom that extends well beyond the question itself.

I found that to be a fantastic set of guidelines for learning to ask good questions.

And, by the way, Bunning's course is available for free, online, if you want to use it that way.

Sentient

Great point, CrystalSeas. I had forgotten Joan made her course available for download as a zip file.

High quality and no cost. Hard to beat that value.

MaeWasteland

I found that to be a fantastic set of guidelines for learning to ask good questions.

And, by the way, Bunning's course is available for free, online, if you want to use it that way.

Just popping in to say thanks for mentioning this, I've just downloaded it :)

3ill.yazi

Bunning is great, and I would also recommend Dusty white.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shade

Tarot Mirrors by Mary Greer is excellent on this point.