on the bottom shelf i noticed... merged with How did you get started?

zan_chan

Ever since I first started lurking around AT, long before I became a member, there was one question I was always dying to ask everyone. How did it happen? What was it that got you to buy that first deck? How did you find it? Why did you want it? What was the origin of your interest in tarot?

What was the first deck that a previously minimalist gregory ever put on her shelf, and why did it make her want 2000 more?

Why did a young, Hugh Grant-looking, Oxford-bound Le Fanu decide that tarot was an interesting road to go down?

How did a flower-power Nisaba manage to turn down the Janis Joplin and turn to a deck of cards instead?

{Sorry if I'm imagining everyone 100% wrong. There's just something about forum-ambiguity that makes my imagination run wild!}

But that's what I'm so curious about. What is everyone's first-deck story?

Mine is nothing special really. I was walking around an "everything" store called Tokyu Hands, looking for nothing in particular. We decided to see if they had a copy of Japan-opoly to play at home (it was raining really hard that day and it sounded fun), and while we were in the games section I noticed a yellow box of cards in the back of the bottom shelf. I picked it up and recognized it from my childhood. I had an aunt (my moms best friend really) who was a "fortuneteller" and read for my mom from time-to-time. For some reason the image of the tower really stuck out in my memory. Immediately I felt a need to buy the cards. My b/f convinced me not to because they were silly and overpriced and I'd look at them once and they would take up space.

So I went home without them, but couldn't get them off my mind. Googled "tarot cards" and found a strange purple website. Went back to the shop to buy them the next day and the rest, as they say, is history.

As long as you don't mind sharing, now its your turn. How did it happen?

rabid

Love this idea! Great topic!

I see so many threads here that talk about their family disliking their use of tarot. For me, this has never been the case. My tarot adventure began when I was in middle school: my dad gave my sister his tarot deck, and she did a few readings for me. I promptly "borrowed" the deck, and looked through it. Eventually it went back to my sister, and the years passed...

Skip ahead to grade twelve. I was walking through the downtown section of the small town where I went to school during my lunch break, and I stumbled across a store. My first thought was "a tarot shop? here? really?", I laughed and moved on, but decided to check out the store later. I remembered my past experiences with tarot, and vowed to get myself a deck. I went back to the shop, and the lady there showed me a number of decks: I left undecided on whether to get RWS or Thoth.

Then my boyfriend mentioned my interest in Tarot to his cousin. She gave me her TdM. So much for RWS or Thoth! (though I now have both of those as well!)

Unfortunately, I believe the tarot shop I went to only lasted a few months: originally it was a new age shop first, and had a tattoo studio in the back. I think now its strictly tattoos. :(

zan_chan

Thanks for sharing your story, Rabid. Glad you managed to rediscover tarot after your sister stole her deck back! lol. Too bad about that tarot shop, though. Well, if you ever need a tattoo...

rabid

zan_chan said:
Glad you managed to rediscover tarot after your sister stole her deck back!

Haha. My RWS is the deck that my dad gave her, and I have again taken it from her! I managed to get if off her once again, and it is sitting beside me right now! Technically I have to give it back if she requests it but.... we'll cross that bridge when we get there!

FatesLady

I was 13 when I discovered paganism, and Tarot was something mystical and interesting. I bought a Spiral Tarot off of eBay in secret and tried to memorize the meanings/use the book to give me exact answers. It was frustrating to say the least, but Tarot cards have always fascinated me.

zan_chan

Oh wow, Fateslady, 13? Thats so young. I'm jealous! I wish I had gotten to tarot sooner, but I suppose we all find these things when we're meant to. (plus, if I'd discovered tarot when I was much younger, I would have just been mad that I couldn't have afforded all the cool decks I would have wanted! haha)

nisaba

zan_chan said:
How did a flower-power Nisaba manage to turn down the Janis Joplin and turn to a deck of cards instead?
<laughter> You have managed to get me so-o-o right and so-o-o wrong at the same time!

Honey-chile, I would *never* have turned Janis down! I am shocked at the mere idea! I look at those publicity shots, and just wonder what her kisses felt like ...

I think I got infected in childhood, a kid my parents thought ought to be a friend of mine (because they were friends with her parents) had a mini-RW, and when we visited the two of us always ended up in her bedroom, bored with each other, One day she pulled out the deck. We were both under ten. It took me anotehr five or six years to buy a deck of my own, a full-size RW, and then I was hooked. the infection was slow-moving at first, but it has gathered speed with time.

Gazel

I - aged 16, I guess - lurked around at the library, just across the street. I guess I was sad or bored or both, and curious too, of course. Always looking for new knowledge, new books.

Then I came across Pollacks 78 degrees of wisdom - I was immediately hooked - then I bought RWS soon after. In my twenties, I did not do much about it. I had the RWS and a Thoth I got for my 18th birthday. Then by 30, my affection for tarot really got a place in my life. And here I am, the best place for a tarot addict.

zan_chan

nisaba said:
<laughter> You have managed to get me so-o-o right and so-o-o wrong at the same time!

Honey-chile, I would *never* have turned Janis down! I am shocked at the mere idea!

Ok, I guess I got that part wrong haha.

What a nice story though. It must feel really centering to be able to link tarot all the way back to your childhood. And to have even an inkling at such a young age that something was really for you is pretty amazing. Thanks for sharing that with us :)

zan_chan

Gazel said:
I - aged 16, I guess - lurked around at the library, just across the street. I guess I was sad or bored or both, and curious too, of course. Always looking for new knowledge, new books.

Isn't it incredible that back at 16 you're walking around a library searching for knowledge, and now here you are so deeply in love with tarot still, and a librarian to boot! It just amazes me how well some people seem to know themselves from so early on.

Thanks for your story, too :)