The Brownies: Their Oracle

jcwirish

I'm pulling a small card to enhance whatever the big card is doing. It isn't necessary but makes a change, it isn't something I've ever done before.

I just realized this morning of the blog cards I've pulled I can only find two females
I haven't read any history about Palmer Cox, perhaps Ferder can add some input
There are a number of Asian characters and at least one Indian

I think that sounds like a great way to incorporate both decks. I'm glad to know that's working for you.

That's interesting about the female Brownies. I hadn't ever heard of Palmer Cox until I started reading some of the blog posts, but I am curious now to know more. Are the female characters you noted from the small deck? It seems the larger deck images are generally loaded with so many Brownies all together. I need to go back now and look through the scans. I hope I get my actual deck soon so I can study them more thoroughly.

jcwirish

Looking through the scans just now, I didn't see any females. I did see lots of different skin tones, including a few pale green guys with what looks like antennae coming out of their heads, lol.

jcwirish

Wikipedia says that "Cox's Brownies were little men who had mischievous adventures together. Each Brownie had a distinctive physical appearance."

So, apparently they are all meant to be male characters.

AJ

I was basing my opinion on dresses. In the Rescue, center back is a dress lady with one tall curlicue coming out the top of her head.
The rescued indian could possible be female too

On Immersion on the beach some of those bathing costumes could be women.

Preparation, I noticed those green faces poised over the coming lunch. "I'm starving so I'll eat it but I don't have to like it" :)

no women in the small set, but lots of diversity in both occupation and culture.

Freder

I think of the Brownies as being sexless. Sometimes they do put on ladies' clothing, but most of the time they identify as "male" -- although this is more of an idea than anything else.

Cox did include many ethnicities in his Brownie characters -- more as time went on, so the later drawings are more diverse than the earlier ones.

I'm so glad folks are having fun with the decks!

And -- the Arthur Rackham Oracle is now out.

Thanks, all!

www.tarotbyducksoup.com

decan

I discovered this interesting Oracle yesterday on Duck Soup.
It looks really pleasant (a bit comic) and very unusual!

I just noticed that there is probably no card to depict loneliness in this deck because there is a little tribe (well not really little) in each card!
I will likely put it on my wishlist!