Essential Lenormand by Rana George Study Group - 1. Rider

Lee

Welcome to the Essential Lenormand by Rana George Study Group!

Introduction: The purpose of this study group is to study Rana George's reading examples from her book, The Essential Lenormand. We'll examine, ask questions about, and comment on Rana's interpretations of her example readings, create our own alternative interpretations of those readings while using Rana's lists of meanings, and interpret new readings using Rana's meanings.

Rules: Participation is open to everyone who owns a copy of the book. Ownership of the book is necessary because in order to study Rana's interpretations, we need to operate from a common base, and for copyright reasons we can't simply post Rana's lists of meanings.

Participants aren't expected to have read the entire book or to be experts or highly proficient in reading Lenormand. Members at all levels of ability are welcome. Hopefully participants will have read the book's introductory material and understand basic Lenormand concepts such as how Lenormand reading is different than tarot reading and how multiple cards can be combined into sentences.

The presence of this group doesn't imply a position on my or the Forum's part that this book's meanings and methods should take precedence over any other meanings or methods. The reason for creating the group is my feeling that focusing on one particular author's meanings/methods would be helpful for learning. Participants are obviously free to use other meanings/methods outside of this group. Anyone is welcome to start other study groups studying different meanings/methods, just contact me and I'll help get it going.

While posting in this group, however, all participants must adhere to the meanings listed in the book. Meanings can be extrapolated, for example you could use "a bill" as a meaning for the Letter even though that specific word isn't listed in the book, because it's clear from the listed meanings that any kind of document can be included. But if you use a meaning which has no clear connection to one of Rana's meanings, I'll ask that you edit your post to change that meaning, otherwise the post will be deleted.

If you notice another participant using a non-Rana meaning, the proper action is to contact me, either by PM or by use of the Post Report button (the red-and-white triangle with exclamation point at the bottom left of every post), and I will make the determination. Participants are not allowed to post that other participants' interpretations are "wrong" or to criticize them. This is a zero tolerance policy and all such posts criticizing other posters will be deleted. Again, if you feel another participant isn't following the rules, the proper response is to contact me.

The Process: Each thread will cover a single reading example from a card chapter, and we'll work our way card-by-card, in order, through the book. In each thread I'll post three exercises. You don't have to do all three exercises. You can choose to do one, two, or all three, as you wish.

In Exercise A, I'll post from the book the question and Rana's cards. We'll look at and discuss Rana's interpretation, ask questions, make comments, point out interesting things.

In Exercise B, we'll take the same question and cards but formulate a different interpretation. As we all know, the same cards in any cartomantic system can always be interpreted differently by different people, yet still validly. The point here though is to limit the interpretive possibilities to Rana's own lists of meanings.

Exercise C would entail my posting a new combination of cards (including the card that's the focus of the thread) which we could all try our hand at interpreting, again using Rana's meanings to put together the interpretation.

Members can do any one of the three exercises, or all of them, whatever they like.

Don't forget to have fun! :)

Lee

Exercise A: Rana's Interpretation

For this card I'm going to look at two of her readings, because they're very short daily readings with no particular question.

17 Stork + 1 Rider + 18 Dog

Rana's interpretation: A friend is pregnant. Pregnancy (Stork) related news (Rider) concerning a friend (Dog).

1 Rider + 20 Garden + 4 House

Rana's interpretation: In-laws are coming to town for a visit. News (Rider) about a gathering (Garden) in the home (House).

My comment: These examples are good to study for a very basic idea of how to combine cards. In the first, Stork and Rider are combined first (pregnancy-related news) and then that combination is combined with the final card to produce the result: {pregnancy-related news}+{friend}.

In the second reading, Rana shows how two different interpretations of a combination can reinforce each other: Garden + House can equal gathering in the home, but can also equal a family (House) gathering (Garden), because House can mean family as well as house/home.

Note: To do Exercise A, simply post any thoughts, comments, or questions about Rana's interpretation.

Exercise B: Alternate Interpretation

There was no specific question to these two readings, so we can simply interpret them as if we had asked, "What will happen today?"

A visiting (Rider) friend (Dog) arrives by plane (Stork).

Going (Rider) from the backyard (Garden) into the house (House).

Note: To do Exercise B, simply post a new interpretation of these cards. You can combine the cards any way you like, but you must use the meanings in the book.

Exercise C:

Let's try a new reading involving the Rider:

Following Rana's lead, let's stick with a daily spread, with no particular question.

21 Mountain + 1 Rider + 27 Letter

I'll give others a chance to post first before I post mine.

Note: To do Exercise C, simply post your reading of these cards. You can combine the cards any way you like, but you must use the meanings in the book.

surpeti

Exercise A: My comments are actually less about Rider than the other cards in the spreads.

Stork-Rider-Dog

Although I can certainly see Rana's interpretation as valid, I doubt I would have interpreted this as she did simply because I don't have a lot of friends who are likely to be pregnant. To me it shows how context matters. If I pulled these as a daily for myself I'd know what "changes" (Stork) are more likely to be news in my life.

Rider-Garden-House

I like the straightforwardness of "news of a gathering in the home." I wouldn't have thought "in-laws" though because they are family and there's no family indication in the cards. I guess it depends on how you view your in-laws and how you define your social circle.

Exercise B:

Stork-Rider-Dog

News of a friend's move.

Rider-Garden-House

A new acquaintance in my social circle visits me at home.

Exercise C:

Mountain-Rider-Letter

A letter containing news is delayed in arriving.

Teheuti

B: Alternate interpretations:

Rider-Garden-House - a RV-Park or campground (gathering place of homes on wheels).

Stork-Rider-Dog - Changing boyfriends (moving on from one to another; suggests an improvement).

Mountain-Rider-Letter - Obstacles to mail delivery; a mailcarrier's difficulties.

Padma

hi :) I wanted to join earlier, Lee, but I was away on vacation!

I hope it is ok to post now :)

Rider- Garden - House - Many people arriving for a visit

Stork- Rider - Dog - a new friend arrives, a new dog (puppy-baby) arrives. News that announces positive change in regard to new arrivals (animals or people arriving).

Mountain - Rider - Letter - after a time of silence, news finally arrives/comes! :)

Lil Red

News that a friend is moving away

News that a close knit of friends are coming over; a visit

21 Mountain + 1 Rider + 27 Letter

A heavy burden news; news would be delay.

Notes:

What I noticed is that having the rider you would get news of something no matter what position it is. That's what I think.

mysticsphere

exercise A:

im really reluctant to make a health diagnosis unless specifically asked. I can see how she arrived at that though.

exercise B:

Stork Rider Dog

great news (stork rider) about or from a friend (rider dog).

Rider Garden House

news about a family gathering

exercise C:

Mountain Rider Letter

frustrating news received through email/text

Lee

hi :) I wanted to join earlier, Lee, but I was away on vacation!

I hope it is ok to post now :)
Absolutely! We only just got started. Even if this were an old thread, it would still be fine to post in it, that's how study groups work. :)

monisina

Exercise A: My comments are actually less about Rider than the other cards in the spreads.

Stork-Rider-Dog

Although I can certainly see Rana's interpretation as valid, I doubt I would have interpreted this as she did simply because I don't have a lot of friends who are likely to be pregnant. To me it shows how context matters. If I pulled these as a daily for myself I'd know what "changes" (Stork) are more likely to be news in my life.

Rider-Garden-House

I like the straightforwardness of "news of a gathering in the home." I wouldn't have thought "in-laws" though because they are family and there's no family indication in the cards. I guess it depends on how you view your in-laws and how you define your social circle.

Exercise B:

Stork-Rider-Dog

News of a friend's move.

Rider-Garden-House

A new acquaintance in my social circle visits me at home.

Exercise C:

Mountain-Rider-Letter

A letter containing news is delayed in arriving.

Hello,
I read that the card Mountain can have a opposite meaning regarding its possition
Mountain + X = delayed/blocked X finally ends
X + Mountain = X is delayed/blocked
Thus Mountain+Rider+Letter - delayed message finally comes

Stork + Rider + Dog = a friendly visit from someone will change something in my life or improved something in my life or in our relationship.
Rider + Dog = a friendly/helpful visit
Rider + Dog can be also someone I have already known, it is a opposite to card Book (person I have not already known).

Rider+Garden+House = many people/group will arrive to visit you or somewhere will be a big party

Lee

Moderator note:

A very interesting discussion has transpired in this thread about reading method, specifically the Subject+Modifier concept. I definitely want that discussion to continue, however I think we're in danger of violating two of the rules/guidelines I set forth for this thread, namely:

1) No criticizing of other members' interpretations, and

2) Members can combine the cards in any way they like.

Thus, I've moved the Subject+Modifier related posts to a new Study Group thread: Essential Lenormand by Rana George Study Group - Subject+Modifier.

I have an open mind and may, depending on the discussion thread, choose to change the rules of future study group threads to require following the Subject+Modifier rule, but for now, for this thread, we'll stick to the rules I've outlined.

Thanks,
Lee,
Lenormand Moderator