View Single Post
Citizen

Abrac 
Citizen

The question I had, which perhaps wasn't framed very well, is about the "Secret Law of Providence." Why would it deliberately work to manufacture our Fall, or at least allow it? Mary Anne Atwood's explanation seems to be a pretty good one and satisfies for now; though not directly from Waite, she was an important influence.

By "Providence" Waite seems to mean Divine purpose or a conscious intent as these quotes from his memoir demonstrate:
"It may have been about this time that we were walking out, once on an afternoon, when it pleased God to send us rain in summer, and we were driven into the refuge of a Church. That gates may open strangely, on strange unknown realms, is on record full often in the high romance of mind. They open on the Land of Psyche and also on the Land of Nous. Moreover, rain in summer may itself be even as a figurative golden gate. It was eminently such in this case, for that towards which it led me was world without end in God. Was it not a Guardian Angel which set the Church-door ajar and took us safely in? It happened also, because of the Providence which works in sacred darkness to shape great ends and true, that a certain Father Rooke was found within. . . ."
"The books of my childhood were few and far between; but the Providence which shapes our ends to insure its own purpose was at work among them."
I've also entertained the idea of woman as the vessel of childbirth and conduit of life. It has a lot of things in its favor. As one example, God said to the serpent after the Fall, "I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heel." The woman's offspring will ultimately defeat the serpent, though only after many trials.

In Waite's description he says something specific so I believe there is a specific answer, it's just a matter of discovering it. It may take time, and may or may not yield fruit; but one thing's for sure—if one doesn't seek, one will certainly never find.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #6