Hanson Roberts-II High Priestess

Celtic Star

To me, HP appears not some much rigid but in more of a profoundly concentrated and highly relaxed state. Her stance/stare is very fixed as if she's accessing some indepth information from deep within herself.

She is involved in this activity using a quiet, contemplating focus. She does appear somewhat hypnotised yet she is still aware of her surroundings to a much higher degree than her outward appearance would let on.

Celtic Star

Have to add this as I keep coming back to it. Notice the design located on the collar of her dress. This design is located over the 5th chakra and I think it's significant.

I've read that this chakra connects the physical body to the astral plane for out of body experiences as well as soul travel, distance healing and hypnosis...interesting.

Grizabella

How about those very long earrings she's wearing? They're mismatched, too. I was doing a reading the other day and those suddenly jumped out at me. It was as though that intense look she has was silently saying "notice my earrings"------like when you're trying to communicate something with someone but you can't actually say anything out loud? I read in the link to the RW thread about the Hermit meaning a male mid-life crisis. Well, the reading I was doing was for a woman and those earrings spoke to me in that particular case of a woman's mid-life crisis. I just had to share that because I was so surprised to see that meaning in Umbrae's comments (I think it was his) about the Hermit in that other link.

vision777

Wow I happen to love this card she is one of the most beatiful women in the deck. Everytime i come across this card i don't see sadness I see a person who has the answers or knows what you need to know. And i think her earrings are trying to tell you what ever you want to know is right in front of you if you would just look. (things that are hidden in plain sight). I haven't seen ths card lately.

WhiteBirchWoman

The High Priestess of this deck puts me in mind of a female Catholic Pope. I studied her card extensively last night and decided that she represents the trappings and limitations of religion as opposed to spirituality. Looking at the Empress beside her I felt that together they represent a progression: the High Priestess represented the ritual and decorum of religion whereas the Empress symbolized the the esoteric knowledge and wisdom of pure spirituality. For me, the High Priestess can represent the person who follows the rules and regs of doctrine without understanding the deeper mysteries, and the Empress is the mature person who has evolved into a greater understanding and shed the restrictions of dogma.

Morwenna

She is definitely more formal than her counterpart in the RW, but the artists approach female spirituality very differently: not to say either is better, they're just different. This lady does have extremely expressive eyes, almost as if she's gazing into the soul of the viewer and asking if the viewer is happy with what she sees there!

Besides the pomegranates on the veil, and the overall leafy effect, there appear to be palm trees flanking her. Can someone comment on that? (I don't see the same relation of the palm to her as the palm branch on the traveler's staff is in the 8 of Cups--thanks all, I couldn't respond to that because you people said it all!)

MaxZorr

My question about the HP is the four baubles on her turban the two on the left side is verticle and the two on the right are horenzontal(please forgive the spelling. If we brought these patterns together it would form a cross.
MaxZorr

sapienza

Grizabella said:
How about those very long earrings she's wearing? They're mismatched, too.

MaxZor said:
My question about the HP is the four baubles on her turban the two on the left side is verticle and the two on the right are horenzontal.

I don't use this deck a lot but I've certainly never noticed either of the two things mentioned above. To be honest the High Priestess in this deck has always been something that's put me off using it. But now that I've seen the mismatched earings....I'm liking her a lot more.

Thanks Grizabella, this has prompted me to take a fresh look at the whole deck :)

cSpaceDiva

Questions, questions

Mismatched earrings, baubles in her headgear, pomegranates and palms. What does it all mean? The High Priestess knows but she isn't telling, is she?

Wait a second though. For just a moment I thought I saw the slightest smile in her pursed lips. I got the idea that she would really rather share her knowledge than keep it secret, but she has to be very careful about what she says and who hears it. If caught sharing what she knows, she could be punished, maybe burned at the stake. That high stiff collar is like a gag order. There on her throat are a couple of arrows pointing down, pointing down at the scroll. The scroll that says TARO not TORA like the RWS. Also compared to the RWS she has turned the scroll around to face us, so that we may read it, and she is holding it with her right hand vs. left.

Fostha

cSpaceDiva said:
Mismatched earrings, baubles in her headgear, pomegranates and palms. What does it all mean? The High Priestess knows but she isn't telling, is she? NO

Wait a second though. For just a moment I thought I saw the slightest smile in her pursed lips. I got the idea that she would really rather share her knowledge than keep it secret, but she has to be very careful about what she says and who hears it. If caught sharing what she knows, she could be punished, maybe burned at the stake.
I have indeed been told that on more than one occasion now in reference to this lady.