Crystal Collection for a Budding Enthusiast

EmpyreanKnight

I just started an in depth study of the Tarot late last year, and in the course of my readings, I have met so many references that suggest crystals as a means of opening up one's intuition. I got very much interested, and pursuing a quick detour from my Tarot studies, read all I can about them. I was very much fascinated to say the least, and have learned at least the rudiments of crystal metaphysics, though I know I still have so much to learn.

Since the past month, I have been on a bit of a crystal buying spree. Specifically, I wanted to collect crystals that would help me enhance my intuition, focusing on the third eye and crown chakra. That's why a lot of the crystals I amassed focused on these chakra in combination with others. I also decided to collect powerful grounding and protecting stones that would tether me back to earth after all those ethereal meditations.

This is my collection, which apart from the pendulums and some tumble stones, I mostly got only last month:

Large Crystals:

* Labradolite polished boulder that weighs one kilogram
* Amethyst raw geode that just fits my palm
Black Tourmaline raw crystal on a stand

Pendulum:

* Rose Quartz on a string studded with chakra crystal chip bracelets
* Red Jasper on a silver chain

Tumble Stones:

* Crown Chakra - Clear Quartz
* Brow Chakra - Sodalite, Amethyst
Throat Chakra - Blue Agate
Heart Chakra - Green Quartz, Green Aventurine
Solar Plexus Chakra - Citrine
Sacral Chakra - Carnelian
Base Chakra - Haematite

Pendants:

* Blue Kyanite smooth blade
* Uruguayan Amethyst cluster
* Clear Phantom Quartz oval
Ammonite pair

Bracelets:

* Amethyst pair
* Pietersite, primarily red and blue (stone of truth)
* Iolite
* Dumortierite
* Prehnite with Epidotes
* Lapis Lazuli
* Labradorite
Citrine
Tiger's Eye
Green Aventurine
Rainbow Tourmaline
Black Tourmaline
Rhyolite Jasper
Dragon Vein Agate

Crystals listed with a * are those which I plan to use primarily for meditatory, divinatory, and esoteric purposes

For these I have also bought some white sage smudges and incense. That is my preferred way to cleanse them, although I am also planning to buy a brass singing bowl for quick cleansing, meditation, and as a centering preliminary ritual before any reading.

According to The Book of Stones by Simmons and Ahsian, the spiritual crystal correspondence for the Tarot are Creedite, Dumortierite, Herderite, Iolite, and Pietersite, so I'm gonna find me some Creedite and Herderite I guess. Dumortierite is particularly known as the Tarot Stone, while Prehnite has been regarded as the Stone of Prophecy.

I'm curious if there are more crystals you can suggest that would help me sharpen my intuition? Moldavite and Super Seven are next on my list, and I hear very good things about Libyan Desert Glass. One of my sources cited a rare ascension stone that can also be used for grounding (whoa), I forgot which. I am also thinking of buying a Seraphinite bracelet for myself, after I gave one to my sister as a New Year's gift. It looks so fine! I am thinking of pairing it up with an Angelite bracelet and a Celestite geode, to be used in celestial meditations that might also prove helpful in deeply spiritual readings I plan to perform soon. Only thing is, they have a rather low Moh hardness so they might be too fragile.

What crystals can you recommend that you feel helped enhance your intuition and foresight? I hope these are hardy stones that would not easily chip and break. Do you always wear them, or do you only use them on special occasions, such as during readings or meditations. I've read that always wearing upper chakra, high frequency, and ascension stones tend to make one feel unmoored and light headed, so after every session I always ground myself. Whenever possible I wear my Black Tourmaline bracelet, which is also a particularly effective protective stone that also happens to match my birthday. Regarding that, I am also planning to purchase Black Onyx and Black Obsidian bracelets soon. Can you recommend other very good grounding stones that worked in your experience? In what form do you keep them - as bracelets, pendants, tumble stones that you keep in your pocket, etc.?

Thanks!

celticnoodle

I was going to mention moldavite and super seven, but you already have them on your list. My moldavite is just a small sliver of a crystal, but so powerful! So, be careful when you pick yours out. Hold it in your hand and see how it makes you feel. Then, also purchase another crystal to go with it to help 'tame' it.

When I first got my moldavite, I didn't really know a lot about it. I just saw it in the store and thought it was beautiful, especially as 'green' is my favorite color. The moldavite I own was made into a necklace with silver wire wrapped around the crystal. I began to wear it almost immediately and also 'almost' immediately, began to have severe headaches that were very debilitating. Massive migraines plagued me for days.

I mentioned this to the store owner, (as I worked there where I purchased this crystal)-and she explained the possible issue, recommended a grounding stone, such as pietersite. I purchased the pietersite and also began to leave the moldavite necklace outside of my bedroom at night as I slept, in another room. Viola! the headaches/migraines ceased. I had to build up to its power. Never had a crystal affect me so like moldavite. So do your research for crystals that are good to pair with it, and keep you grounded when you are using it.

The super seven I received came from a sweet lady here on A.T. who sold it to me. She had it in her collection for a number of years, and Ihave to say just holding it gives me a feeling of peace inside. I actually have two pieces that fits nicely in my hand, so I like to hold one in each hand when I meditate. It just feels like a stone that envelopes you in peace. Very loving and gentle, but also very powerful. I love it as it also never requires a cleansing and it is also good to cleanse and energize other crystals kept near it.

celticnoodle

other grounding stones, (which I forgot to include in the above post) that I've found to be wonderful for me are black tourmaline and hematite. My favorite stone has to be the Rose Quartz though. I hold it in my hands and truly can feel the love and protection it has in its properties. I absolutely LOVE the rose quartz and would say it is my favorite crystal overall for the feelings it gives to me.

I love to wear my crystals, so I have a lot of crystal jewelry. I also have a little pouch that can be worn as a necklace too, and it can hold many crystals in it. I rarely wear it as a necklace though, but will use it to hold a variety of crystals. I often just stuff it into my pockets. Sometimes I am drawn to only keeping one specific crystal with me, and will stuff one of each in my pocket. I tend to buy crystals in pairs a lot, (except for the moldavite and pietersite).

Padma

If you really want to set your crown chakra on fire, get some Herkimer diamond (it is a quartz crystal - make sure you buy from a very reputable source)

Also azotic topaz, which reflects many colours, and "sings" at a super high frequency. Sometimes I cannot wear mine, as its top note is so high!

Selenite will help to keep your crystals cleansed - I have a big tower of it in my crystal dish.

Garnet is very good for grounding, as well as to keep the heart chakra open and strong.

Ruby (opaque) is very good for protection; wear on the left side of your body, ring or bracelet. Star ruby enhances intuition.

There are many more, but I figured this is enough to begin with ;)

celticnoodle

If you really want to set your crown chakra on fire, get some Herkimer diamond (it is a quartz crystal - make sure you buy from a very reputable source)

this, I did NOT know. NY has an area where you can dig for the herkimer diamonds. I've never been - yet, but always wanted to. I do own some that I purchased, but it would be very cool to find my own in the ground!

Also azotic topaz, which reflects many colours, and "sings" at a super high frequency. Sometimes I cannot wear mine, as its top note is so high!
wow. very interesting. I'm interested in checking this one out too.

Selenite will help to keep your crystals cleansed - I have a big tower of it in my crystal dish.

Garnet is very good for grounding, as well as to keep the heart chakra open and strong.

Ruby (opaque) is very good for protection; wear on the left side of your body, ring or bracelet. Star ruby enhances intuition.

great stones mentioned here, Padma. :)

EmpyreanKnight

I was going to mention moldavite and super seven, but you already have them on your list. My moldavite is just a small sliver of a crystal, but so powerful! So, be careful when you pick yours out. Hold it in your hand and see how it makes you feel. Then, also purchase another crystal to go with it to help 'tame' it.

When I first got my moldavite, I didn't really know a lot about it. I just saw it in the store and thought it was beautiful, especially as 'green' is my favorite color. The moldavite I own was made into a necklace with silver wire wrapped around the crystal. I began to wear it almost immediately and also 'almost' immediately, began to have severe headaches that were very debilitating. Massive migraines plagued me for days.

I mentioned this to the store owner, (as I worked there where I purchased this crystal)-and she explained the possible issue, recommended a grounding stone, such as pietersite. I purchased the pietersite and also began to leave the moldavite necklace outside of my bedroom at night as I slept, in another room. Viola! the headaches/migraines ceased. I had to build up to its power. Never had a crystal affect me so like moldavite. So do your research for crystals that are good to pair with it, and keep you grounded when you are using it.

The super seven I received came from a sweet lady here on A.T. who sold it to me. She had it in her collection for a number of years, and Ihave to say just holding it gives me a feeling of peace inside. I actually have two pieces that fits nicely in my hand, so I like to hold one in each hand when I meditate. It just feels like a stone that envelopes you in peace. Very loving and gentle, but also very powerful. I love it as it also never requires a cleansing and it is also good to cleanse and energize other crystals kept near it.

Thanks for this information! I would surely keep this in mind when I make a moldavite purchase. Pietersite is a good pair option, a solar plexus/third eye chakra stone that can ground you without acting as too much of a damper on the moldavite's potency. I guess though that in order for it to be a good grounding stone it has to be reddish?

Speaking of pietersite, I have a bracelet that is predominantly blue and red, and it is a thing of absolute beauty. I really can't help looking at it again and again, it just looks so marvelous. And the swirls - it's like a gaseous planet shrunk to the size of a vividly-colored stone. As a stone of truth, it will be powerful in divinatory rituals. As the stone of storms, it appeals to a natural phenomenon I cannot say I am completely averse to.

Just a question though, is super seven naturally that pricey? I have been shown a bracelet that is not too vivid, but which does look like a pale super seven. Its seller is reputable and swears as tonits authenticity, but the piece is not terribly expensive (about two thirds of the price of a fine iolite bracelet). I guess it might be an average/slightly below average super seven? I have heard that it is incredibly hard to fake.

EmpyreanKnight

other grounding stones, (which I forgot to include in the above post) that I've found to be wonderful for me are black tourmaline and hematite. My favorite stone has to be the Rose Quartz though. I hold it in my hands and truly can feel the love and protection it has in its properties. I absolutely LOVE the rose quartz and would say it is my favorite crystal overall for the feelings it gives to me.

Yep I have those three in my collection too. And I agree so much on the rose quartz. I gave my brother's bride-to-be a teardrop gem-grade rose quartz pendant as a New Year's gift. When I looked at it I was simply in awe, it was so elegant and regal and yeah, very much like the crystal embodiment of the Empress card. So I bought another one for my mom, who has a passion for anything rosy, and she absolutely loved it too. I'm thinking of buying another one for myself, not to wear of course! Merely to look at and admire, it has such a calming presence. :)

EmpyreanKnight

Hey Padma, thanks for the suggestions!

Yeah I've heard of the Herkimer diamond mentioned in the same breath as the moldavite, which is just as rare here in my country too. Question though, I've heard of Pakimer diamonds. Do they have the same effect?

I have not heard of azotic topaz, so I guess I have to research on that one. They do look very dazzling though (I mean, from pics in the internet). All those colors! It might give a high quality opal a run for its money.

A friend of mine keeps his crystals close to an orange selenite cube that he claims is effective, and your statement confirms it must be. I have not seen a selenite tower yet, but I'm very interested now in acquiring an eight-inch raw selenite wand that my source may still have on her inventory. I hope that would be effective too? How often do you cleanse/purify your selenite tower btw? With a Moh hardness of 2, it must be very fragile and brittle, so do you take extra precautions to protect it?

I have seen an almandine garnet bracelet that is not too expensive, so I guess I'm gonna check it out again. Being a guy, wearing black onyx/tourmaline/obsidian or gray haematite/labradorite bracelets might get too limiting after a while. A dark garnet just might be a viable alternative.

Now, the star ruby that you say enhances intuition interests me. Ruby is just a kind of corundum, right? So would a star sapphire be as effective, since it is just a corundum too? Sapphire is also my birthstone, so if it is a viable alternative, I would seriously consider purchasing one. By the way, what is the story behind wearing a ruby on your left side? Does that apply to sapphires too?

I hope you do not mind that I have so many questions. I'm just a beginner at this, and while I may just google all of this, I think nothing really beats the advice of an expert. It's like citing a peer-reviewed journal for your thesis instead of wikipedia (which nevertheless still remains a magnificent fount of information). :)

Padma

http://www.crystalvaults.com/guides-crystals/ is a good site to check out for meanings and types. :) they have assembled information from the book of stones you mention (by Robert Simmons) (and if you have that book, look up the star ruby and sapphire in there) as well as Melody, Cassandra Eason, and a few others of note.

Also here is Robert Simmon's online meanings list http://heavenandearthjewelry.com/Stone-Properties-Crystal-Information.aspx

One wears ruby on the left side of the body, as it is meant to resonate with one's heart beat and one's blood flow to and from the heart.

Sapphire is awesome! I wear a large pink one almost every day. Blue sapphire is very grounding, I find. Helps you to be wise and settled, very practical stone. I also have a padparadsha sapphire (red/orange) that I find very invigorating to wear :)

Selenite is made basically of salt. It is fragile, yes! But not so bad as all that, if cared for and handled properly, there should be no issue. You should never soak it in water, due to it being basically a chunk of salt! ;) I have a selenite wand also which I like to use for physical healing/cleansing. It requires no cleansing, much like kyanite, carnelian, orange calcite and smoky topaz.

I forgot to mention the smoky topaz, good grounding stone! Tiger's eye in blue and also in yellow is also a very powerful and protective stone to wear, and it is not overly expensive. Labradorite is excellent protection to wear, I cannot remember if that was on your bracelet or pendant list, if not, please do consider it. I have a pendant that very much acts like a shield :)

If you look at the "stickies" at the beginning or top of the crystal sub-forum threads list, you will see a great deal of information on crystal studies, cleansing methods, etc etc.

Almandine is a lovely garnet to wear - such a bright and dazzling red! I have some too, I love it. Garnet is my fave stone, I think. It works so well with so many other stones. It's the deeper side of the lightweights...it pairs wonderfully with citrine, imo!

Have fun with your crystal studies - they really do enrich one's life in so many ways! :)

Padma

"Star Ruby has the same metaphysical properties as Ruby, but with increased healing and magical energies. It is most powerful at full moon. The Light of the Soul is reflected and grounded within the star of the Ruby, and amplifies one’s internal resources and fortitude. It is extremely potent for those inclined to self-harm or self-neglect, and is quite beneficial in overcoming sexual dysfunction or the trauma of sexual or power abuse and suppressed anger. As a stone of spiritual Light, it can be used by Light workers and healers to integrate high-frequency energy into the body, and assists one in recognizing the true abundance of life. [Eason, 71][Ahsian, 334]"

"Star Sapphire has the same metaphysical properties as the color of Sapphire it appears in, with an enhanced energy and intensification of those properties. The star itself represents the manifestation of Divine knowledge and Light into denser reality, and reminds us that the outer manifestations we treasure are a reflection of the Light of our own essence. The three lines that cross in the six-rayed star represent faith, hope and destiny, sometimes associated with three angels who offer protection to those who wear Star Sapphire. The moving star brings ongoing safety to travelers and guides their way home. [Ahsian, 345][Simmons, 345][Eason, 365]"

I took these snippets from the crystal vault site I posted above for you, hope this helps :)