Fairytale Taort - Six of Wands

marablu

The story used for this card is 'The Emperor's New Clothes', I believe that it is a story most people are familiar with, nonetheless I'll give a short summary; an incredibly foolish and vain emperor is taken in by two swindlers who sell him a supposedly fabulously fine cloth, that is, they tell him, invisible to the eyes of the unworthy and unrefined. Not wanting to admit to being unrefined, he buys pure air from the swindlers and orders clothes to be made for him from this material. No one who encounters the 'material' or the 'clothes' made from it wants to admit that they can't see it, until a little boy at a parade where the emperor 'wears' the 'clothes' points out the obvious: the emperor is naked!

I love this story and I think that it brings another, important, layer of meaning to the six of wands, which is all about public acclaim and admiration. This story begs the question- is there true glory behind that which is being glorified? And if that which is being lauded is completely insignificant or pointless, do we have the guts to believe in our own judgment, and challenge the established opinion?

I'd also like to point out the funny physique of the emperor on the card- he is short and fat and sullen-looking. Not very emperorlike indeed. Nonetheless he is surrounded by incredible pomp and circumstance. But the child is undaunted by all this, obviously still young and innocent enough not to put much stock by such silly displays.

What do other people think of this card?

marablu

Blonde Fraggle

I like what you said Marablu about the card challenging us to believe in our own judgement and not simply take the easy option.

For me another layer that the card brings to the Six of Wands, is about whether we do things because we enjoy doing them or because we want the praise for doing it.

The Emperor for me doesn't seem particularly bothered about running his kingdom - he just does the job because he loves all the attention it brings.

Whereas the child would do a task for the sheer enjoyment of doing it.

Hope this made some kind off sense for folks:)

Katy

berrieh

This card shows the 'dark side' of the 6 of Wands very well, in my opinion. When I draw the typical 6 of Wands, I always wonder, "But what are they celebrating?" There's never a real sense of accomplishment. It's more like a joust victory or something---a made up game, with made-up winners, who yes, did something interesting or remarkable but not earth-shattering---and yet that seems so at odds with the spiritual nature of wands and the vibrant nature of 6s. There must be something more.

In this one, I think it gives real victory to the child. The child sees the truth where others dare not speak it.

The parade is no victory---it's empty, it's useless, "the emperor has no clothes" as they say. It's hollow pomp and circumstance.

The dirty victory of the cloth-makers is vicious and clever. So, there is also that concept of 'getting away with something' inherent in this 6 of Wands.

So, there are 3 versions of victory present, all well-represented by this story, I think.

I love that The Emperor looks rather unhappy in his walking, and that the child seems to be jeering at him--rather than cheering--in the picture.

Master_Margarita

What a playful way to convey the meaning of the Six of Wands! I agree with berrieh that it brings out the dark side of this card very neatly (of course, I see dark sides everywhere after working with the Bohemian Gothic so intensely).

I love the statue in the background behind the Emperor of either a dog or a lion that is laughing with its tongue out!

:heart: M_M~