View Single Post
Citizen

RunningWild 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowdancer View Post
Have we over complicated things?
I believe that would depend on the purpose one assigns to use of the cards.

Quote:
If so, why?
Ditto the above. Add to that, that there seems to be something on each artist's mind, a personal symbology that the artists wish to convey, hoping that others might see it through their mind's eye.

Quote:
Does this enhance or hinder what we are trying to convey?
Art doesn't resonate equally with each individual that looks at it whether it's a tarot card or a Picasso so I don't see how it could hinder anyone. No one forces a person to purchase a particular deck no matter how much enabling goes on. Symbology, too, differs among cultures even if there are archetypal similarities in their cultural myths and norms. So I would see that as an enhancement, a chance to learn something about another society's view of the world.

Quote:
If we had a reader from the 1960's looking in for a brief while, what would they be thinking as they take in the whole sway of publications now dedicated to different ways of reading tarot?
If they weren't interested in the cards for anything but divination, I imagined they'd be immediately overwhelmed by the sheer volume of various decks and books available. They might also (mistakenly) begin to believe that Tarot was way over their heads and never go near it. Or they might simply pass out from all the excitement. It's still a journey no matter how much material is available. The difference might be that they would be discouraged from writing a book for beginners. OR they might race back to their own time and place and be the first to write THE one book to which everyone ultimately refers.
Top   #4