The Little Window Tarot

Sidhe-Ra

The Star really makes me smile! there is an innocent beauty in your work, especially your boldness of colour and expressive style. It seems to me that you are thoroughly enjoying the creative process, and that comes through in the cards- lovely! :)

Blessings,

Em x

spoonbender

The Star and The Hanged Man are beautiful, MrsOnePotato. I'm just sort of speechless - everything feels so right about them. I love the Hanged Man's slenderness in combination with the two tall trees from which he's hanged, and the way you pictured the tree roots on The Star, the waves of the water and the color on the bird. The Star is especially interesting, as if the deep blue of the sky and the bright green of the grass are emitted from both the woman and the star (at least that's what it looks like to me).

I'm kind of rambling, but the point is: I LOVE them. :D

Will they be published in any way - a limited edition maybe? Or is it too early to be thinking about that already?

Spoon

Debra

OnePotato said:
Well, from my vantage point, over on the couch, I have the unique distinction of seeing a bit further down the line, several cards ahead, and I must say this is going to get beter and better as the big picture develops.

If the hanged man goes up next, you'll begin to see the overall interwoven geometric/graphic structure of the deck start to take off. The picture-plane starts to develop laws of its own, and spaces start to recede in the oddest places. You get to look inside.

I've been lobbying for "The Little Window Tarot" as the title, but I don't know if it will stick...
(So remember you heard it here first!)

Anyway, good job MrsOnePotato!

Keeping an eye on it...

(Mr.) OnePotato

(I love this "over on the couch" line.) And now I DO see the "windows" and I love it!

MrsOnePotato

spoonbender said:
Will they be published in any way - a limited edition maybe? Or is it too early to be thinking about that already?
Thanks for the kind words, spoon!
You really seem to 'get' what I'm trying to achieve with this...
As far as publishing, I'm not planning to submit it anywhere. But I'll definitely do an edition when it's done. Not sure how big.

Sidhe-Ra said:
there is an innocent beauty in your work, especially your boldness of colour and expressive style. It seems to me that you are thoroughly enjoying the creative process, and that comes through in the cards
Thanks, Sidhe-Ra! I spent a lot of time sketching in advance, trying to achieve a simple and bold result for each card. (Mr.) OnePotato was quite surprised when I finally started working with color...he was so used to seeing the pencil sketches that he didn't realize I had such vibrant colors in mind. And yes, I am thoroughly enjoying this....I haven't gotten so immersed in a major fine arts project since art school many (many) years ago. :)

temperlyne

I really like how your deck is comming about. It is a harmonious blend of traditional tarot imagery and your unique art style. Without straying too far from tradition you manage to avoid making another clone deck. I am really looking forward to the next cards. I know you aren't planning a whole deck, but I wonder what your artwork an do for the pips!

MrsOnePotato

Pips?

temperlyne said:
I know you aren't planning a whole deck, but I wonder what your artwork an do for the pips!

Hi Temperlyne,
Thanks! Now that I'm making some real progress, it is tempting to consider doing the pips....but I'm still not sure. If I did, they would be based on the Tarot de Marseilles. We'll see...

Thing is, I have another idea waiting in the wings....a "Circus Tarot" with fully illustrated pips. But I can't start another deck without finishing this one first!

:) MrsOnePotato

(oh, and thank you Solandia for changing the thread title for me!)

Satori

I love Star and Hanged Man!
I enjoy them all, but the Star was very precious when she popped up and the window finally opened!

Lovely style. I like it!!!

MrsOnePotato

Hello all,
Your encouragement has really kept me going...it is so nice to have this forum. :) Here are two more cards for you to see:

The Devil:
http://members.aol.com/fiveoakleaves/artwork/mop_devil.jpg

Strength:
http://members.aol.com/fiveoakleaves/artwork/mop_strength.jpg
(this may still need some work in the face and hands)

I also made some minor adjustments to The Hermit:
http://members.aol.com/fiveoakleaves/artwork/mop_hermit.jpg
http://members.aol.com/fiveoakleaves/artwork/mop_hermit2.jpg
His hood seemed so stiff before...I am much happier with it now.

Any comments welcome!
MrsOnePotato

Chronata

oh wow! I just found this thread...and this delightful tarot!

Missus Potato...you have an extraordinary work in progress here!

I love the stylized look of the figures, and the cool reinterpretation of the Marsilles!...oh and the texture!...

I feel like I want to run my hands across each card! I bet the originals are awesomely tactile! :D

My favorite so far is the hanged man...I don't know why...but I just love the way he looks. Strength is pretty fab too...

Actually all of the cards so far are beautifully done. There's richness and style to each image. Very impressive.

what a wonderful and charming deck this will be!

spoonbender

I'm starting to repeat myself, but these are wonderful once again!!! I LOVE the flaming reds and yellows on the Devil, and especially the dark outlines of its antlers and wings... It feels sketchier, "looser" than the other cards somehow, but that may just be me ;) . Strength is perfect with the cage and the woman and the lion - everything just fits.

I can't wait to see the next cards!

Spoon