Does anyone know Golden Girl?

seven stars

My mom is in her 80's, & I hate to say it but she's been a sucker for quite a few scams. But a tarot scam? There is this woman who writes to my mom every few weeks or so with these long emails, & it saddens me & I think it's completely unethical. I keep telling her to just unsubscribe or delete her but then when she reads them, she worries & just won't. I tell her if she ever wants a reading I do them allllll the time & that there are reputable readers out there who don't do this. It's hard for those of us into this to really understand, I think, sometimes, how scared & completely vulnerable a lot of our sitters really are, & how easily they can be manipulated & taken advantage of by playing on their fears.

I attached the letter but it's 4 pages.

What do others think about this? Am I taking it the wrong way? Do people use this person & she's just really authentically THIS good? Surely not.

Attachments

• Golden Girl Letter.pdf
    319.3 KB · Views: 295

LadyMarian

I don't know who this person is. Apparently she is providing a service.
The letter looks like a form letter for marketing purposes used with a mail merge system for subscribers. Your mom's name was inserted where needed.
Your mom should delete it if she is not interested in the offer. There is usually a way to unsubscribe from newsletters like this.

Venus Rising

Scam all the way. It's just a form letter, used to prey on seniors and the vulnerable and it makes me very, very angry. My mum receives junk like this frequently and I just shake my head. So no, you are most definitely not taking it the wrong way. Your instincts are correct. It is all fear mongering. And it makes me even more cross because there are honest/legitimate psychics/readers etc available in the world.

If you can, I would suggest setting up a spam filter for your mum, and adding this "Golden girl's" email address to it, so that your mum doesn't receive them any longer. And once you have done that, then unsubscribe from the emails if you can, only after you've created the filter. Out of sight, out of mind :)

I did a quick search of Golden Girl and checked out her page....seems as though other's have shown up due to her emails because she made it sound "imperative" that they contact her immediately. http://espchat.wordpress.com/2011/11/14/meet-golden-girl/
Also, here is a complaint about her from a complaint site: http://www.scambook.com/report/view/69769/ESPChatGolden-Girl-Complaint-69769-for-$24.00

I'm sure if you just google her, you'll find more.

Best of luck with this!

seven stars

Thanks - what I may do is just show this whole thread to my mom. She keeps saying she isn't falling for it but I can tell when she sends them to me that there's a part of her that wants affirmation & she's probably thinking "what if she's right".

Venus Rising

Good plan. Please tell her she's not alone, and that this happens to lots and lots of people, every single day. My own mum forwards emails to me all the time for confirmation as to whether or not they are legitimate. The one email that she didn't clear through me was the one where she ended up providing a bunch of information and had her bank accounts compromised (it was a phishing email, that looked like her banking institution)
It happens. And in my experience, because they are older, and not as used to technology, they are not only overwhelmed with it but also embarrassed that they even need to ask for help. It's a sign of dependence, and for the older person, that is a real challenge.

Wishing you all the best with your mum. Just as you needed to trust her when you were needing guidance, so too, does she need to trust you during this time :)

Debra

She might feel better if she has an alternative. Would she like it if you pulled "a card a week" for her, for advice and guidance?

seven stars

She might feel better if she has an alternative. Would she like it if you pulled "a card a week" for her, for advice and guidance?

I always tell her I'll read for her or give her people who will that aren't related. This isn't so much about just any reader, it's someone specifically saying she can help her & she needs to know this special info that apparently only she has. I told her I didn't even agree with her interpretation of the Strength card - that if anything, if she ever did draw the Strength card I would interpret that as meaning she had the strength to handle whatever tough situations were coming her way, not anything foreboding. I'm like, mom, not only is she a scammer, from what I'm seeing, she's a bad reader!

seven stars

She always says she's not sending this woman money but she also swore she wouldn't put that 100,000 check in the bank from Africa either.

atypical

I would be afraid that if she falls for stuff like this, she will be identified as a sucker and they will sell her contact info to other scammers.

It happens all the time. My grandma made the mistake of donating to a couple of legitimate charities, and they sold her contact info to other charities. She's gotten so resentful of the constant phone calls and letters that she no longer wants to donate anything to anyone.

Disa

Oh, Gosh! I only read the first page and half of the second. It seems like scare tactics, honestly. It seems very cruel to prey on people this way to get their business.