Planet Series: The SUN & Venus

dadsnook2000

We will be taking a look at some of the relationships between Sun and Venus. As noted earlier, the Sun is an architypal energizer that INTEGRATES the energies of the planets into the whole meaning of the chart. We will not be discussing Venus aspects as such to the Sun, but will limit ourselves to the basic relationships of these two astrological/astronomical bodies.

Like Mercury, Venus is an inner planet relative to the Earth's orbit. Unlike Mercury, Venus has a life outside of the Sun's. We can easily see Venus in the evening or morning sky, even when the Sun is above our local horizon in some cases. Venus also wanders further from the Sun due to its orbit, sometimes being two signs ahead or behind the Sun's sign. Venus can reach an "elongation" of some 48 degrees (if memory serves me right) from the Sun.

We can apply some of what we learned with Mercury to Venus! When Venus is located at birth or by transit behind the Sun in terms of zodiac sign position, Venus is covering those signs already covered by the Sun. When Venus is located at birth or by transit ahead of the Sun in terms of zodiac sign position, Venus is experiencing those signs on it own, applying its own imprint upon us.

Consider again what we learned with Mercury, plus a new idea. When Venus is two signs behind the Sun (by zodiac sequence) it is in a sign of the same polarity (positive or negative) -- Venus can adapt easily to the Sun's mode of expression by bringing its values, desires, sense of harmony, balance of the factors surrounding us, and our sensitivities into a fully charged awareness within us.

When Venus is one sign behind the Sun (by zodiac sequence) it is in a sign of opposite polarity (positive or negative) -- Venus has to adapt itself to the direction set by the Sun, our Sun, or another's Sun. There might be a sense of reserve or reluctance to easily let one's Venus-functions be shown or expressed easily.

When Venus is in the same sign as the Sun there is no conflict of how to express Venus qualities. Venus qualities are intensified, the whole personality is infused with sensitivity to the environment and to one's own values. We will need to poll the participants here on the list to see if Venus-combust-Sun offers any special factors to consider as I suspect that Mercury does.

When Venus moves ahead of the Sun, sign-wise, at birth or by transit, Venus tends to be more free, more experimental and even un-cautious in how it reaches out to others and gathers whatever Venus-things it wants. Being in a sign with an opposite polarity than the Sun, this can bring dis-quieting and exciting experiences into ones personality development.

Venus at two signs ahead of the Sun tends to be cognizant of where the Sun is going -- avoiding clashing experiences but seeking to set up or promote values, desires-to-be-fulfilled, relationships and sensitivities that lead to ones future growth.

A little later in these threads, it might be productive to look at each of these Sun-Venus sign placements relative to how they might affect how we love, express ourselves creatively, what we acquire or value, manage our personal relationships, shape our home and environment.

You will note that I have avoided so far discussing specific signs or aspects to either the Sun or to other planets. I don't want to get into signs as part of the "Planet-Series" threads, but it would be productive to explore some general sign issues.

The zodiac, both the Tropical and the Sidereal versions, are constructed with twelve signs -- spans of space on the zodiac belt (mean plane of Earth-Sun orbital mechanics) that is divided into 30 degree segments. The Tropical Zodiac is measured from the time/point in space when the Earth's axis tilt reaches a neutral position such that the day and night are equal in length in both hemispheres with the Sun increasing its daily distance from the equator each day (summer).

The signs represent a long-developed cultural interpretation that initially fit with agricultural cultures but which gradually adapted various other factors into their given meanings. The value of the zodiac stems more from its sequential logic and step-by-step development of a "whole" cyclic meaning such that the start and end of the cycle could be at any point. The Aries point is chosen as a matter of convenience of measurement. IF YOU WERE TO ARBITRARILY CHANGE THE MEANING GIVEN TO A SIGN, YOU WOULD EITHER UN-BALANCE THE WHOLE CYCLE OF MEANINGS -- OR YOU WOULD HAVE TO CHANGE EVERY SIGN IN THE SEQUENTIAL CYCLE TO RE-ESTABLISH A COMPLETE AND BALANCED CYCLE. This is one reason why some astrologers cringe when others make statements that are not within this "construct."

So, the polarity of the seasons, the ebb and flow of life and energies, the cultural associations that have come down to us thru thousands of generations, the continued body of observations and validations -- all of these have to be kept as a cyclic and whole cycle of meaning. So, both the Sun and Venus pass thru these "signs" of collective and shared modes of expression. For some of us, these "signs" seem to have more meaning than for others. In any case, the signs form both a cycle of meanings as well as a generalized measuring tool.

The Earth-Sun relationship is defined by these signs -- or at least measured by them. Venus in relationship to the Sun is also impressing meanings upon us within the overall Earth-Sun cycle. This is not as significant, IMHO, with the outer planets -- Mars, Jupiter and outward. So, at some far future date when the Planets in Signs concept is the point of discussion, we will have to look at how Venus relates to the Sun-Earth-Sign cycle. Right now, we will look at just the signs as positive/negative (outward directed, inward assimilated) energies without further differentiation.

SO, OUR DISCUSSIONS can start on the the placement of Venus relative to the Sun by two-one-same sign ahead-behind the Sun. Feel free to post about how you relate to these guidelines given here. Dave.

Crystelle

Crystelle

Hey Dave, where do you start counting? I am sun sag and venus aqu... does that mean I am one or two signs away? I'm thinking in either case, behind?

As always, I appreciate the guidance!
Crystelle :love:

huredriel

My random thoughts for now:

dadsnook2000 said:
When Venus moves ahead of the Sun, sign-wise, at birth or by transit, Venus tends to be more free, more experimental and even un-cautious in how it reaches out to others and gathers whatever Venus-things it wants. Being in a sign with an opposite polarity than the Sun, this can bring dis-quieting and exciting experiences into ones personality development.
Well this would be me ....... Sun in Leo, Venus in Virgo (same as my Mercury LOL) .... one sign ahead, so I take it that there is an opposite polarity. I can relate to the *un-cautious in reaching out to others* and for the things it wants ......

dadsnook2000 said:
Venus is experiencing those signs on it own, applying its own imprint upon us.

However with this bit, I do feel that my Leo (Sun) affects the Virgo (Venus) quite a lot ....... I tend to think that Virgo is quite puritanical and orderly ..... whereas Leo is more dramatic and flambuoyant ....... hmmm I'm trying to work out what things Venus makes me want to gather though .......... so if this were applied to decor or furnishings for example ....... the Venus/Virgo aspect of me ........ I like minimalistic stuff ...... no clutter, space ..... but also more *luxurious* things within that area (the Leo/Sun) ..... say like fur (fake!!!!!!! ones honestly) throws, expensive taste (this is why minimalism is good, can't afford a lot :D) ....... and also if I really really feel I have to have something ...... the Virgo goes out the window ...... the Leo comes in ...... and I get it regardless .... am I going in the right direction with this?

dadsnook2000

For huredriel

Yes, you are going in the right direction. As for Virgo Mercury and Venus, I know women with this combination, one with Sun in Leo and I agree, the Leo Sun can often over-power the Virgo stuff when it wishes to. With these others, I have seen the Virgo hyper-discrimination be projected outward toward others and not kept inward (at least as far as the owners see it). This is perhaps where the polarity comes in -- the Leo stuff and the Virgo stuff don't often work well together in a single chart. Dave

WhiteRaven

From what I'm understanding here, my Venus is ahead....but I am a very cautious person when relating to others. However, in my younger years I was not. I don't think this has much to do with my Sun (in the past)....however, in my progressed chart (I know we are not discussing this right now..but...), my Sun is in Pisces and there would be a stronger pull from there in regards to how I relate to people in the "now". Pisces are timid and emotional..and hold back when relating...this is where I stand at the moment and have been for a few years now. At birth, Venus was in Aquarius...a very social sign which I was...and very open to anything really. Now, within the progressed chart it sits in Aries....

isthmus nekoi

I'm the opposite of you, huredriel w/Venus behind (in Sag, sun in Cap).

Sun's in 12th however, so Venus pretty much has free rein to flirt as she pleases - I'm very forward and demonstrative, used to get me into a lot of trouble when I was younger lol. Having said that, Cap sun always has the final say. It's like the Sag side attracts indiscriminately while the Cap side observes from the sidelines, takes her time and chooses very carefully. As for material things, I don't really have much interest in them unless you count fine dining.

WhiteRaven

isthmus nekoi said:
Cap sun always has the final say. It's like the Sag side attracts indiscriminately while the Cap side observes from the sidelines, takes her time and chooses very carefully. As for material things, I don't really have much interest in them unless you count fine dining.

So then my Cap Sun does have influence....I'm not materialistic either but observe from the sidelines and chooses carefully.....but, my Venus is opposite yours....

I'm completely confused now :(

prudence

My Venus is behind my sun, both are in Pisces in the 12th House. Sun-0 degrees, Venus-7 degrees...I am definitely sensitive to my environment, as dadsnook mentioned. Not sure what else this means though.

dadsnook2000

For Crystelle

Your Sun at 23 Sag, and Venus at 4 Aquarius puts your Venus 41 degrees ahead of the Sun. The sign polarity is the same because Venus is two signs ahead of the Sun. Venus tends to be cognizant of where the Sun is going -- avoiding clashing experiences but seeking to set up or promote values, desires to be fulfilled, relationships and sensitivities that lead to ones future growth. Venus in this position might be an opportunist, availing itself of all that is offered or can be taken.

Keep in mind that these conjectures of mine are based on related astrological concepts but they are conjectures in that I haven't ever seen the Sun-Venus relationship written about in this way. We might all wet, but I suspect that this is workable. It may need refinement, but it feels OK. All the feedback we get will prove its value, I'm sure. This is what astrologers do, they use the basics but then go on to stretch them and play with them. Dave

rcb30872

I will be interested in looking at this, but unfortunately will have to go soon, and it will be at least 24 hours until I get on. I will not be home at all tomorrow, and have to leave to go to the hospital very early in the morning.

As my Venus is in Cancer, and my Sun in Virgo, then that would make it 2 signs apart. But whether that would be ahead or behind, I am not sure, as I made that mistake in the Mercury thread, thinking it was ahead, but it was behind.

Shall see you in a day or so! I am not sure, exactly how long, as I am having an op tomorrow!

:love:

Bec