cosmic tarot, 7 of pentacles

paradoxx

A green hue dominates this card, a man in a sleveless shirt holds onto two pentalces, one in each hand. five other pentacles are embedded in the ground, and a feeling of defeat and desolation are dominant in the card.

http://www.angelpaths.com/decks/cosmic/pents/sevenofpents.html

this man is continuing onward from a great defeat, he must litereally pick up the pieces and move onward, he barely has a shirt to cover his back, and the background is very unsettled, it is an emotional situation to say the least.

star-lover

i hate this card - the worst in the cosmic tarot

the man looks like some kind of slave

he's got 2 pentacles in his hands and is looking to see where to plant them

he's lost and bewildered

seems to have put his eggs in the wrong basket or something

yuk

Papageno

I have to agree, the Cosmic's 7 of penatcles is so contrary to my understanding of this card. why is it so bleak? it is as if the outcome is pre-ordained to failure and completely negates the possibilities of growth and reaping rewards of your efforts.
very "grapes of wrath"

there is a tendency with this deck to be somewhat slanted towards the downside of interpreatation. the same goes for the 8 of cups, another bleak, post apocalyptic-like scene.

tink27

trismegistus said:
I have to agree, the Cosmic's 7 of penatcles is so contrary to my understanding of this card. why is it so bleak? it is as if the outcome is pre-ordained to failure and completely the possibilities of growth and reaping rewards of your efforts.
very "grapes of wrath"

there is a tendency with this deck to be somewhat slanted towards the downside of interpreatation. the same goes for the 8 of cups, another bleak, post apocalyptic-like scene.

I agree....but what does happen when change suddenly blows all around us...when we somehow feel powerless against certain forces? When something unthinkable happens, we have a sense of hopelessness, we feel insecure and disillusioned by life. At this point we don't know what will renew our faith all we feel is fear!

This card tells me our greatest fears exist with our most primal self! Perhaps it has to do with our single-mindedness that disconnected us from the centre of ourselves. Somewhere we have lost our sense of being in the thoughts of something greater. Money and material things can make us feel powerful and potent....but when we are without it, we feel infertile and weak.

This card tells me we need to travel inward to reconnect, refocus with the things that give meaning to our lives.

We need to suspend our hold on what limits us and form a creative relationship with our faith. Faith can make us brave when when everything else tells us to run away.

What can help when we are in despair....when fear has been brought on by some enormous change? The more we hold fear, the more our own vitality is dimmed. This is where we search to find a spiritual practise of somekind....that will allow us to connect to a force or energy that will guide and help us understand the chaos in our lives.

tink :love:

Papageno

tink27 :thumbsup:

I think you've hit it right on the head. absolutely.
I was so stuck in my own perception that I couldn't see this card for what it is. in fact you've helped me better understand Losche's deck immensly.

so I think can we say that the obverse is also true ie. a reflection of the bleak void in ones life though it may be filled with material posessions; the ;lack of true fulfillment and happiness.
in this context I think I can also better understand the Comic's 8 of cups, walking away from the materialism that has offered no comfort.
drink more and more from the cup of material gain and earthly power but your thirst and hunger are never satisfied.
that's like a Greek myth

that also ties in the Cosmic's 4 of pentacle card which was also discussed at length on another thread. it's another very distasteful card. I see the consistency now in Loesch's work. I'll definitely be looking at this through very different eyes. Artistically this has always been one of my favorite decks, but I also felt there was something eluding me, there was an "edge" to this deck I wasn't comfortable with, almost like a hint of an adversarial quality. I can't describe it.

Thank you Tink:!:

MareSaturni

trismegistus said:
I have to agree, the Cosmic's 7 of penatcles is so contrary to my understanding of this card. why is it so bleak? it is as if the outcome is pre-ordained to failure and completely negates the possibilities of growth and reaping rewards of your efforts.

Hum...imagine that you are in a bad situation. You won't think your present problems aren't bad because the future will bring you good things. Specially because you ain't sure the future WILL bring you good things.

The man in the card is feeling the same. Seven for me is always about an obstacle, and to overcome it you'll have to realize something. To have an 'A-HA!' moment. An insight.

The man in the card...he seems sad. He probably realized that, in spite of lesson he learnt in the 5/Pentacles and the good things he did in a 6/pentacles, he doesn't have control over everything. The earth seems barren...it SEEMS barren. The man wanted to see his dreams growing, but nothing shows up. And then he suddenly realizes you don't have control over everything. Sometimes all you can do is wait...and have faith. You've done what you could, now it belongs to the divine, the great mystery.

He's not aware of the 9/Pentacles that'll come soon. He's only aware of his now. His now is bleak, but the card tells him to be hopeful. To keep going. To not give up.

It doesn't "negate the possibilities of growth". Do you have a garden? Sometimes, when you move a plant from one spot to another it takes some time to adjust. It almost looks like it's definitely going to die. But then, when you least expect, it gets it's life back, it grows more beautiful and strong than ever!

Under that barren land there's life. You cannot see it, but it's there. IMHO, this card isn't about growth - it's about patience.

Hope this is helpful ;)

~YUKO

Papageno

hi miss_yuko :thumbsup:

yes, this has also been very meaningful. I particularly like the garden anaology.
it illustrates the point very profoundly and eloquently.
In that context I have also seen this as a card of generational succession, the seeds of the forbearer sprouting to produce a new generation of growth that is self perpetuating until it can no longer do so.

It just occured to me that in this sense, the 7 penatcles could also illustrate a lineage, a family tree of sorts that can apply to all living things. nothing can perpetuate it's lifeline indefinitely so there has to be an end as well as a new beginning.
Thanks yuko:!:
back to morning coffee and ciagrettes :smoker:

tink27

trismegistus said:
Artistically this has always been one of my favorite decks, but I also felt there was something eluding me, there was an "edge" to this deck I wasn't comfortable with, almost like a hint of an adversarial quality. I can't describe it.

Same here! I bought this deck years ago.....but it's only been recently it has been speaking to me! I've found it very interesting to watch how these cards play themselves out in my life! When one disturbs me I have to detach, sometimes walk away from it awhile and then come back and look at objectively. That's the best way I can describe their teachings right now.

Papageno

tink27 said:
Same here! I bought this deck years ago.....but it's only been recently it has been speaking to me! I've found it very interesting to watch how these cards play themselves out in my life! When one disturbs me I have to detach, sometimes walk away from it awhile and then come back and look at objectively. That's the best way I can describe their teachings right now.

that's interesting. I thought I was the only one. it's a very strong deck, nothing namby pamby about it, but it was always elusive to me (until now). I don't know why, maybe subconsciously I'm in denial?

tink27

Cosciousness is hard work!

trismegistus said:
that's interesting. I thought I was the only one. it's a very strong deck, nothing namby pamby about it, but it was always elusive to me (until now). I don't know why, maybe subconsciously I'm in denial?

I think it's when we start the question, who am I? It's like an itch we can't reach but constantly keeps nagging at us. The more we try to find it, the more it drives us into a state of chaos.

For me, it could have been I just wasn't ready or serious enough about making changes in my life. These cards have a way of bringing us down so we can let go of the old, gain new knowledge and create a breakthrough!

By geez, that's the best way I can describe it.