Keeping a tarot journal

LizA

Kissa, I love the journals on the link you provided. MMMMMMMM, very tempted to buy one.

Le Fanu

I have a wonderfully tatty floppy moleskin notebook which I use for my Thoth notes. A card each side of the page. Each page is almost full and I have been given a beautiful leather zip-up ring binder which would be perfect. It even has slots front & back to slot cards. The perfect journal. However, if I take out the pages of my notebook and punch holes I'll lose bits of text and annotations and I don't fancy copying everything else out... In two minds about what to do... If I glue the pages on a sheet, I'd lose my notes on the other side!

What to do, what to do...

BlueDragonfly

Kissa, I love the idea of deconstructing a book like "Tarot for Yourself" and incorporating it into a journal/reference, much easier to work in. My weekly planner doesn't get alot of use(my life just isn't that busy), so I'm borrowing your idea of using it for daily draws, etc.

I'm working on a binder that I bought at the thrift store for a buck. It was originally one of those subscription deals where they send you the binder and a couple packages of pages(this one was for houseplants), then send you more packs of pages every couple months/monthly. The dividers are covered by scrapbooking papers, and I'm still hunting for the perfect cover for the outside.

In the meantime, I just write in a spiralbound notebook that I can transfer pages from when the binder is finished. It's a little disorganized, but chronological(date every page), with notes, readings, journalled thougths.

I've been down "the beautiful journal but afraid to write in it" road. It's sitting on a shelf, waiting for me to drum up the guts to desecrate it with my poor penmanship! I need to "pimp the pages". :D

BlueDragonfly

Le Fanu said:
I have a wonderfully tatty floppy moleskin notebook which I use for my Thoth notes. A card each side of the page. Each page is almost full and I have been given a beautiful leather zip-up ring binder which would be perfect. It even has slots front & back to slot cards. The perfect journal. However, if I take out the pages of my notebook and punch holes I'll lose bits of text and annotations and I don't fancy copying everything else out... In two minds about what to do... If I glue the pages on a sheet, I'd lose my notes on the other side!

Could you use those plastic insert sleeves?

Le Fanu

BlueDragonfly said:
Could you use those plastic insert sleeves?
Nice idea but it isn't A4. It takes pages half A4 size (a standard A4 folded in half) and I never see those plastic insert things this size.

nice idea though!

Sophie

When I started, and for several years after, I kept a readings journal: in an ordinary lined school notebook, I would write down my readings, one per page. Date, querent, question (if any), positions, cards, and a short synopsis of my conclusions.

That was a pretty useful learning tool.

At various stages, I've kept a journal where I put down my thoughts on a or several cards - ramblings if you like. That's not so useful for systematic study, but very valuable for subjective exploration and making lateral thinking connections. That too is usually an ordinary lined notebook. During one phase, every day I would draw one card from the Marseille Tarot, and one Sabian Symbol, and journal them together, trying to see connections, both objective and subjective. It was an interesting exercise and I filled an entire notebook.

I tried the ring binder, but it didn't work for me.

nisaba

Le Fanu said:
it isn't A4. It takes pages half A4 size (a standard A4 folded in half)
<nodding wisely> That's A5. And the huge size, two A4s next to each other, is A3, ironically.

It'll save you some keystrokes eventually, as well as allowing me to dust off my Smartarse Hat once again, something for which I'm always grateful.

shiresun

I have a hard cover hand written journal I keep with me during my actual work. After I finish, I write, so it's fresh in my head. Then I enter it in a computer journal I have online, which is specific for the PDR, and another online private journal for more personal work. What I find is important, is that having both allows me to have a back-up of what I do if something should happen to either or.

I found that I really like the writing process. I'm liking it more and more, but I don't get into my storytelling in handwritten books, because it takes up too much room. That comes after I've gotten all the information down, and then I look for my song, and write the story.

Peace,

Shire

Carla

Le Fanu said:
Nice idea but it isn't A4. It takes pages half A4 size (a standard A4 folded in half) and I never see those plastic insert things this size.

nice idea though!

You can get A5 plastic wallets. Google it. Here's the first thing that popped up when I did.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/20-x-A5-Plastic-Wallets-Strong-Clear-Poly-Pockets-NEW!_W0QQitemZ360265562642QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=&rvr_id=&cguid=2087d8161290a0aad2277d47fffc5c9e

You can probably get them in Partners or Rymans, though.

GadgetGirl

Le Fanu said:

Scanner? You could get some A4 and cut it in half and then just print out the reverse pages and then carry on writing on them from where you left off. That is if you choose to go down the Perfect Journal route. :)