Celtic Cross doesn't anyone use it?

ravenest

And I love your taste too, except when it comes to tarot spreads (and one or two other tiny issues). Poetry is, after all, more important than tarot. (I hear the rabble shouting: 'Heresy, heresy!') :)

Really ? ? ? I thought tarot was the comic book of poetry?

inanna_tarot

So inspired by this thread I decided to use the CC for a reading I needed to do...
And I found such interesting things about it!

I think it obviously depends on the question you ask, but I feel that for Why/how is xyz happening it good as it gives you a lot of perspectives to see deeper into a situation. But not all situations require that level of inspection.

SunChariot

I am puzzled since coming back to this site, no one seems to be using the Celtic Cross, which I feel delivers good information in its format style. Are the modern authors of tarot decks leading new readers to use other styles? Just curious?

Nope, I never cared for it that much really. Maybe because at the start I was told that you HAD to use it and it was the best one ever of all time. I found it too complex for my tastes. And I guess I learnt to be an individualist when it comes to Tarot pretty early in, so I did not like to be told I HAD to do anything in s specific way.

That being said, I dropped out of using spreads at all pretty early one and now I hardly ever use them at all. I much prefer not to, but every once in a while or so I will just to do something different (maybe once a year or so).

Babs

Cartomancer

10 questions

I love the CC for overview readings but have adapted the spread to connect with certain questions with different clients..

I find I get the client to write down 10 questions in regards to the one topic....... that can be real interesting in laying out the CC....

Are these the types of questions asked (one question per position in the spread):
1 What are the general influences surrounding this question?
2 What challenges or obstacles surround this question?
3 What are the goals of this question?
4 What is the basis for the asking of this question?
5 What occurred in the past regarding the question?
6 What may occur in the future regarding the question?
7 What is the questioner’s role in this question?
8 What does my family or house have to do with the situation at hand?
9 What hopes or fears do I have in regard to this question?
10 What will be the outcome of the matter in question?

In regard to a specific question: (example: romance)
1 What are the general influences surrounding this romance?
2 What challenges or obstacles surround this romance?
3 What are the goals of this romance?
4 What is the basis for the romance?
5 What occurred in the past regarding the romance?
6 What may occur in the future regarding the romance?
7 What is the questioner’s role in this romance?
8 What does my family or house have to do with romance?
9 What hopes or fears do I have in regard to this romance?
10 What will be the outcome of the romance?
-Cartomancer

starseer1979

Im new to this and I use it I find it very helpful

Kelly-Ann

Interesting opinions. I didn't feel that the Celtic Cross was relevant to all kinds of queries or that it included everything which a good general spread should, so I customised it for my purposes. My customised version has now become my go-to spread.

VGimlet

I pretty much used the CC for a long time, because it was the only spread I knew.

Then when I started reading a lot more, I used mostly 3 card spreads, which are what I normally use now.

However, I will use the CC if I have a deep, thorny question, or if I need to unravel something I've been thinking about. I also use a few other spreads I've picked up or made up over the years. So, yeah, I still use it, but not often.

queenxofxwands

The cc is the spread i use when doing face to face readings, although i dont stick to traditional positional meanings of the cards , it depends on what i see when i look at the whole picture. I find the layout very good at giving a good picture of whats going on and where its headed. Its always worked very well for me, so i'm sticking to it. Have tried other spreads, but, always go back to that one.

Cartomancer

Celtic Cross Questions

The Celtic Cross spread is often misunderstood. There are a number of variations of the Celtic Cross spread used and various authors have published contradictory meanings of the positions and the order that the cards are placed. The variations usually occur within the first six cards to be placed. Many readers regard the Significator as optional.

I assume the method presented as "An Ancient Celtic Method of Divination" by A.E. Waite in "The Pictorial Key to the Tarot" is the first published reference to the Celtic Cross spread. (Has a reference by Yeats been found?) This particular layout detailed by Waite is the most common form of this spread. Thus when describing if one likes or dislikes the CC it would be helpful if the reader indicates that he or she likes or dislikes Waite's layout or one of the popular variations, as several posts have indicated. Is the CC so difficult or has it not been used properly or has some of its bad reputation come from users who have gotten bad results from a CC variation, but blame has fallen on the CC layout, not the CC variation?

I prefer Waite's CC layout for several reasons. The card placements are consistent with what the reader says when placing the card, such as the third card: “This card is above you. It represents your aims or goals in regard to the matter.” This card is placed above the First card+Significator in Waite's layout, but sometimes it is placed elsewhere, such as below the First card+Significator. It is my opinion that placing the third card above the First card+Significator fits with the statement: "This card is above you." Even if you lay the cards out in a way the faces the Querent, placing the third card above the First card+Significator is still relevant.

Some readers say that being consistent is a necessity when using variations in the CC. It is my opinion that if a spread uses Waite's meanings for the 10 positions then it is a CC spread even if the cards are placed differently than Waite's layout. If, for instance, the Fourth card were set to mean "Final Outcome", then it could not be a CC spread because in the CC spread the Tenth card means "Final Outcome."

Another reason for observing Waite's layout is that there is numerological significance to the order that the cards are chosen. For instance, the Second card of Challenges or obstacles corresponds well to the number two in numerology, but the number three does not correspond as well to the keywords of challenges and obstacles.

And who is to say that the variation worked out just fine? Did the Querent acknowledge that the reading was accurate? What if the Querent was given another reading based on Waite layout but using the same cards just dealt? Would these two readings have much in common? Who is to say that the Waite layout wouldn't have better reflected the reality in question?
- Cartomancer

toj

The Celtic Cross is alive and well but on hiatus; it is not the most ideal spread for every situation. It takes a lot of cards and a lot of time - something most people do not seem to have any longer.

Good answer...