NOOOO! Mean birdie. I even fed you sunflower seeds today you ungrateful sky rat.

Barleywine

We had parakeets (American spelling of that, I think) when we were kids. They were evil-tempered little creeps who chomped our fingers and periodically escaped their cages, fluttering around and crapping on everything. The nastier of the two outlived the meeker one by a long shot. He probably would have skipped the tarot cards and gone straight for the $20 bills.

dryadintheelm

Lol, yeah Sushi can be foul tempered. Maybe it should be fowl tempered. Anyway, he came from a home with lots of yelling and breaking things, eventually the couple split up and then after a few months the wife committed suicide. The husband came back and when I helped him sort through her stuff he gave me the bird, a flat screen tv, and his baby brother (been with him about a year and a half now).

The bird gets crazy sometimes, I think he has ptsd. That was NOT a happy family, and he probably was traumatized by all the yelling and breaking things, knocking holes in the wall. He would only hiss at people and try to bite, drew blood on a lot of people. He and I bonded until he would sit on my head or shoulder, but he was so depressed. So I got him a friend. Now he doesn't care that the nice lady hardly ever shuts the door and feeds him treats, and gives him more than one toy to play with. (He had one that was so old the rubber in it was cracking, just that and a mirror for most of his life.) I don't like cages so I got cloths to drape on my tv and my bike, and they have mostly free run of the house (or just my bedroom unless I'm there to supervise). I make sprouts for them, took down my altar for them and put up several play areas.

How am I repaid? He attacks my toes or screams at me if I get near his lady friend. Actually, when he screams at me the poor confused little thing will sometimes fly onto my head and try to attack my hair, but then he remembers either that he likes me or that his bites get absolutely no reaction. So he stops and hangs out there for a little bit, kind of confused.

She's a sweetie (even though she doesn't come on my finger, she'll fly near me and birdy smile with poofy cheeks) but if he does something that requires a "no" he'll start yelling at me and attacking, making me give him a time out. Damn he's lucky I've got a soft spot for nutters.

I definitely can't leave twenties laying around, or anything in his reach that I value. Or her reach, for that matter. Even being a sweetie, she's still curious and likes to nibble.

tarotbear

Yuck! Another reason I would never want stupid birds as a house pet! :bugeyed:

I always said that if it eats AND shits in your house {and you have to buy stuff for it to shit in- like a gerbil} that you don't need it as a pet.

And, NO, I am not a 'pet person' - thank you for asking! :rolleyes:

ilweran

Squirrels are RODENTS ~ nasty, destructive rodents ... that's how! :mad:

Grey squirrels, yes. Lets not include the red squirrels in the squirrel hate though :)

tarotbear

Grey squirrels, yes. Lets not include the red squirrels in the squirrel hate though :)

Squirrels is squirrels ... the leopard does not change its spots ... They are VARMINTS!

tarotbear

How am I repaid? He attacks my toes or screams at me if I get near his lady friend.

A childhood friend's mother had 2 parakeets that had 'free roaming' of their house. The father had to wear a hat inside because one bird would attack the top of his head (after the third time that bird would have been thrown out the window if it was me) - without fail. Nothing like having to wear a hat inside all the time. One or both birds would steal coins left on a dresser and fly up and 'deposit' them into the glass dish of the ceiling light fixture - until one day the weight of the coins ripped it out of the ceiling.

Birds live in trees and that is where they belong! :p

MissNine

Ugh I'm sorry.

I think my dog gets tired of my reading sometimes.
She sits on my cards, or lays right next to me and tolls to her side, smushing my cards. I did a reading for a friend once over Skype and the last part of the reading included my dog covering my friend's future cards. Apparently, her highness did not agree with the universe. I try to laugh it off when this happens. It made me mad the first time my dog bent my cards when she walked on them, but if they are on doggy level, it's my own fault. lol

Barleywine

Squirrels is squirrels ... the leopard does not change its spots ... They are VARMINTS!

But they do taste good! When I was around 10, a friend of mine and I found a fresh road-kill grey squirrel, gutted it (at least what was left), skinned it, roasted it over an open fire and ate it. Delicious! Don't suppose you could do that with a parakeet, though. Hmm . . . "parakeet poppers," "parakeet-on-a-stick," the mind boggles! :laugh:

ilweran

The red squirrel is endangered in the UK - in part because of the greys.

dryadintheelm

A childhood friend's mother had 2 parakeets that had 'free roaming' of their house. The father had to wear a hat inside because one bird would attack the top of his head (after the third time that bird would have been thrown out the window if it was me) - without fail. Nothing like having to wear a hat inside all the time. One or both birds would steal coins left on a dresser and fly up and 'deposit' them into the glass dish of the ceiling light fixture - until one day the weight of the coins ripped it out of the ceiling.

Birds live in trees and that is where they belong! :p

Aaaw, poor birdie lost its coin collection lol. Actually, I had birds as a teen and I loved my parakeet, but knew what it would be like and really didn't want to take this bird when it was offered. Took a few days for me to give in. But, the poor thing was miserable and I knew I could make it happy. I really would rather he lived in his native environment, I don't think pets should be decorations (or prisoners, depending on how you see it), but he was so nasty I was worried if he went to someone else they wouldn't understand that he was traumatized and have patience with him. Until breeding season started, he really was getting quite friendly. But yeah, I wish he lived in a tree instead.