In urgent need of comforting words from fellow addicts

DDwarks

I've just spent a stupid amount of money (£167) on a deck.

I know I know.

My stomach is in knots and I don't know whether to slap myself or send myself in a corner for an 1hr!

I never EVER spend that sort of money on myself. NEVER! And to do it on 1 item????
WTF is happening to me??

I bought the Millennium Tarot( the 4 Worlds ?).

I've got to do some food/essentials shopping now which will cost about that much!

Oh The Guilt!

Please someone help me cope with the guilt :(

DDwarks

Also because all addicts are liars, I'll confess it's not the only deck I bought this week. There, I said it :(

CrystalSeas

Return It?

Sometimes that helps me when common sense overwhelms me after the purchase

DDwarks

Can you do that on ebay? It's already paid for.

CrystalSeas

Ask the seller? They might be willing to take it back. If not, you're no worse off.

I'd offer to pay their listing fees (both for this auction and the new one)

Or, if it was an auction, see if you can sell it to the next highest bidder.

DDwarks

Ask the seller? They might be willing to take it back. If not, you're no worse off.

Okay that's good advice!
I'll get in touch with him now. Thank you xxx

think

Aww.

Well you will have forgotten the cost in a couple of months.

You can forgo a couple of meals out, cups of coffee, whatever is a silly expense. No buying decks for a year embargo, or sell some of your decks, those you don't use.

If not, then...

I do something called matched betting where I place bets and then lay them off to make a small profit. Once I made an error and stood to lose £190, so I tried to fix it, made it worse and lost £340 instead, so, slow to learn, yep, I tried to fix this too and doubled my loss. £680 lost in a single day. I'm over it now, mistakes happen.

So do impulse buys. But don't do it again any time soon.

DDwarks

Still no news from him.
It wasn't auctioned but priced at the most outrageous amount. I made him an offer (forgetting about the extra charges from the US and lying about the value of the deck!) and he accepted it.
I suppose that will teach me right?

Starshower

If you want to keep the deck & really love it without guilt, just try listing all the things others spend money on that you don't. For me, that means justifying one big spending spree by reminding myself that I do not:
*own a tv / pay the licence fee
*have to pay for a parking permit any more in my new home
*go to hairdressers
*get my nails painted or stuck with bits of plastic or whatever it is
*have facials or any 'beauty treatments' (so expensive & my friends who do look no different!)
*buy clothes very often
*ditto shoes
*ditto handbags (I have lots, but kept for many years.)
*drink in pubs very often
*go to cinemas
*go to clubs
*waste money on glossy magazines & /or cheap, tacky rags

... gosh, what a stingy, boring, dowdy person all that makes me sound! But I DO have a fascinating life, doing interesting (& mostly free) things like walking in stunning, lush countryside with friends, chess club, reading, literary thingies, seeing friends, enjoying gigs & music, exploring cities, towns & country villages, gorgeous gardens & parks, beachcombing, hillwalking, etc.
I only use the list above to justify my occasional extravagancies on myself!

ENJOY your new deck! :)

Astraea

DDwarks, I know the feeling. If you find, upon reflection, that you actually no longer want the deck, then see if you can cancel the sale or return it - but if you like the deck and wish to own it, then accept and enjoy your purchase, without shame or regret. Sometimes the regret of canceling a purchase is worse than the regret of purchasing.