the urnash tarot

Sidhe-Ra

Thank you for sharing these beautiful and unique images, and the best of luck in your search for a publisher :)

Blessings,

Em xx

Egypt Urnash

14. Temperance - with, finally, a decent font thanks to a friend who hooked me up with one he was working on.

Thanks, Em! Getting it published should be an... interesting... process, I suspect. I've got no idea if I should expect the possibility of an advance from someone like USGames or Llewellyn to finish it on!

Four more Majors to go. Plus the two alternates of one particular Major. And of course the Minors... Oh, and if anyone wants prints of the ones I've done so far, go have a look on Deviantart.

Egypt Urnash

99 of Pentacles

One of the things any artist doing a Tarot deck in this day and age must ask herself is "How can I update this 15th-century creation to reflect modern times?". Roles have changed, culture has changed. Will you recast the suits? Will you alter the Trumps? Will you add new Trumps? All of these are popular choices. You might have a deck or ten in your possession that does all of these. It might even be your favorite deck for reading with - modern times may demand modern decks.

As far as I know, the one thing that's remained inviolate is the number cards. There's always ten of them in each suit. This is my humble contribution for a louder age: the 99. Each suit, in addition to the familiar 1-10, Page, Knight, Queen, King, will have a 99, with imagery and divinatory meanings drawn from and uniquely related to the world of the early 21st century.

The 99 of Pentacles - or Coins - is the Lord of Every Extend. It is in the house of Virgo. In divination, when upright, its meaning is A FREE MAN!. Inverted, it portends the loss of all your power-ups.

Egypt Urnash

And now, more seriously, the first real pip card.

6 of Swords

The GD's 'Book T' calls this one 'Earned Success'; Crowley calls it 'Science'. I chose to favor Crowley's version.

little_darlinn

Wowsa

My, they are absolutely gorgeous and intense. Thank you for sharing them with us. :)

Egypt Urnash

Ace of Pentacles (nsfw)
Ace of Cups (nsfw)

I should note, at this juncture, that while the various Golden Dawn interpretations of the number cards are one of my primary sources, I've swapped the elemental associations of Pentacles and Wands. Wands are Earth, and I hope the image above makes it pretty obvious that Pentacles are Fire.

Thanks, Little Darlinn! I have to do something/i] with these things.

Little Hare

You have a real gift, your work is stunning and I really love seeing the tarot brought into the 21st century...

Beautiful... I really do hope this gets published!
x

Egypt Urnash

8. Fortitude
8 of Swords

I've had to slow down on these due to some freelance programming work taking up all my time again. A couple more (at least one court card!) and I'll be sending samples out to publishers.

Vetch

Long time no checking in here. Glad to see the progress and very happy to see that you followed your concept sketches for the Aces, Females with Masks.

The Six of Swords rocks. It doesn't fit into my concept of Tarot at all, but I find the pic extremely cool. Don't know if this is good or bad, but I think it doesn't really matter. :)

Am very eager to know when this gets published!

Egypt Urnash

Queen of Swords
5 of Pentacles
3 of Swords (NSFW: nudity, gore)

Peace Pixie, thanks!

Vetch, yeah - I'm continually walking a line between making the imagery wholly my own, and trying to make it look like "a Tarot Card". 6S really doesn't have the kind of composition, or subject matter, that we associate with the form... fitting, perhaps, as a lot of it comes from a jumble of various technologists and builders in my life.