Doreen Virtue's Conversion

RavenOfSummer

Please please please let this be true, please order all decks to be withdrawn from the market, disown them - but probably keep the royalties. I so hope this is true. I hope Hay House are frothing. I hope mainstream tarot gets back on track. I'm a bit skeptical of this whole rumour to be honest.

Le Fanu, have you seen DV's influence have an impact on the world of tarot as a whole? I'm definitely turned off by her whole vibe and shtick, and am traditional in the sense that I respect the history of tarot and don't like the idea of working with decks that have removed anything that can be interpreted as bad or scary, but I'm still quite new to tarot in general so don't have the perspective of seeing shifts over any period of time.

EmpressArwen

I love it! :-D

I was never a Doreen Virtue fan. It made me laugh when Anne Rice converted too. I am not dissing anyone's beliefs, but she didn't give away all the money she made on her vampire books.

I have a Sylvia Brown deck. Someone gave it to me. Never used it. I am not a fan of angels. I need to find someone to gift it to.

Anne Rice wrote some pretty hardcore erotica too. Sleeping Beauty series made me go "Daaaymn that is messed up." and I'm hard to shake up. haha

I do think DV should offer refunds if she thinks it's so evil now. She HAS to be loaded! I'm sure she could afford the refunds. It will be interesting to see if this is true and more info comes out.

Dogs&Coffee

I thoroughly enjoy the irony of the last name "Virtue."

Genna

Anne Rice wrote some pretty hardcore erotica too. Sleeping Beauty series made me go "Daaaymn that is messed up." and I'm hard to shake up. haha

That was when she was young, and why can´t a christian write erotica? She writes vampire, witch and now werewolf books in a sexy, elegant style with a heart and metaphysical ideas.She was christian, which aided her style, I´m so angry with that priest who tried to make an ascet out of her, and made her ashamed of her wonderful books.And now seems to have robbed her of a faith altogeather.
I´m not angry with you or Village Witch, because you couldn´t have known the right story, not being fans of hers.I´m sorry if it came out wrong.

And this has nothing to do with DV, but I felt I needed to say this anyway.

Le Fanu

It would be no more realistic to expect refunds for this than it would be to expect refunds from Chesca Potter for those who like the Greenwood. She too underwent a conversion and disowned previous spiritual work. Much as I dislike what DV decks have done to the world and how many New Age darlings her decks have emotionally screwed up, people are allowed to change their course, their perspectives. I mean, really, as if anyone thought those decks were sincere from the go-get. It's like now "oh dear - and NOW you tell me those decks weren't sincere!" But get real; refunds aren't going to happen!

gregory

They aren't, no, but this is the first time I have ever seen anyone tell owners to burn something they had paid for.

It reminds me of the bad taste I got years ago when I got a book from the library, liked it a lot and took the trouble to write to the author to tell her how much I liked it and to ask her something about it. She wrote back to say it was rubbish, she was ashamed of it and libraries shouldn't be allowed to lend it. (And she didn't answer my perfectly reasonable question, either.) I never read another of hers, as I thought that was so exceptionally rude. DV may have had that effect oin her own sales...

IF it's true that she's given everything up. I have yet to see anything from HER saying all this. Someone has seen the vid where she berates the one deck/book, but....

Nemia

People may believe in whatever they want, may change their beliefs and even disown certain stages in their own development retrospectively. I accept that (although I wouldn't try to cut off a chunk from my own past, however embarrassing some chapters were!).

But telling people to BURN any printed matter is horrible. If she really did that I think even less of her than I did before (her decks always looked like horrible, cheaply cobbled-together, copy-paste variations of each other).

One doesn't burn books, cards, sheet music or any other printed matter that one doesn't agree with. One can fight them in words and discussions, try to prove they're wrong, show their errors, warn others, argue. But calling for the burning of anything is IMO absolutely beyond the limit.

In central Berlin, on a square surrounded by a library, a university, an opera house and a cathedral (symbols of culture, learning and civilization), there's a memorial for the book burnings that took place there. Now you can tell me that I go too far and it's not the same. No, it isn't. But any person with a historical conscience should know that by calling others to burn books (or cards), you follow in extremely ugly footsteps.

So I can only hope that Virtue didn't really say those things. For me, it's a call to open aggression and destruction against a cultural product she doesn't agree with any nore. And I don't care whether it's her own work or not.

zhadee

They aren't, no, but this is the first time I have ever seen anyone tell owners to burn something they had paid for.
After Morrissey went solo, he said that people should bury their Smiths records in shoe boxes under their beds (an interview with the german 'Tempo' in 1987. I've spend an hour checking his quotes, but could not find it).
In the meantime, it's likely he's said something more ghastly about what people should do with them.

gregory

You got me interested. Can't find a THING :D

Draven Rising

After Morrissey went solo, he said that people should bury their Smiths records in shoe boxes under their beds (an interview with the german 'Tempo' in 1987. I've spend an hour checking his quotes, but could not find it).
In the meantime, it's likely he's said something more ghastly about what people should do with them.

Though I don't remember ever hearing that quote (long time Smiths/Moz fan) I'd doubt he feels so strongly now, considering how often he uses Smiths songs in his current setlists.

Back on topic, Doreen's work has always seemed disingenuous to me, so this turnaround isn't shocking. I just wonder if she'll turn back if selling Christianity doesn't prove profitable enough.