Show your Playing Cards!

Padma

oops, forgot to say, nice cards, Madrigal! Thanks for posting pics! Dying to see your Ring Cycle one, as I am impatiently waiting for the Tarot deck of the same name and artist to be released! (end of May, according to Amazon).

Laura Borealis

I have those too, Laura. In fact, oddly, I was just going to go take pics of them to post here, when I saw your post! Too funny! I love the Qu of Spades card.

I like decks where all of the cards are illustrated, like my Key to the Kingdom deck. I like to use those images to read with :)

I borrowed this image from someone's blog (not mine)http://www.adnil.com/CARDS/keys.html

Those are cool! I love that Nine of Spades. It looks like a kitty knocked over the ink and walked away, leaving prints.

There's a name for decks that use the suit symbols in pictures... I can't think of what it is right now. Pictorial? That doesn't sound quite right. My search-fu is failing me.

Attachments

• medieval cat prints.jpg
    medieval cat prints.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 175

Padma

Isn't it "scenic pips" or "pictorial keys"? I seem to remember both terms being used.

Love the Medieval equivalent of the modern day cat on the keyboard! :D Nice to know some things never change ;)

Yes, Tony Meeuwissin's Key to the Kingdom is a lovely deck, Laura! I think you'd love it! (subtle - ok, not so subtle - enabling going on! ;) ) it is OOP but I found mine on the American Goodwill online store - for a great price, too!

Laura Borealis

Search-fu success! I was thinking of "Transformation" decks. However, the suit symbols are supposed to stay in their original positions to count.

http://www.wopc.co.uk/transformation/index.html

So your Key to the Kingdom isn't one in the strict sense (as defined by WOPC, at least) but is still very clever in its use of the pip symbols.

Yes, Tony Meeuwissin's Key to the Kingdom is a lovely deck, Laura! I think you'd love it! (subtle - ok, not so subtle - enabling going on! ;) ) it is OOP but I found mine on the American Goodwill online store - for a great price, too!

I just wish-listed it so I'll remember - for next time I need some retail therapy ;) Thanks!

Padma

I guess I was exposing my ignorance of terms! ;) I love the examples on the link you posted, Laura! The history of cards is so very interesting!

ETA if you are able to get the whole kit for the Keys deck, it is a great storage box, and the book that goes with is very interesting as well!

Laura Borealis

No, you're not displaying ignorance at all! :heart: I only ever heard that term on the WOPC site. I was experiencing that "tip of the tongue" thing, you know? So I had to figure out what I was almost but not quite remembering.

"Pictorial" and "scenic pips" are more familiar terms and make more sense in cartomantic context anyway. :)

Re: Key to the Kingdom... this one? That's the one I wish-listed... and the prices are very good indeed :D

Also I just noticed that listing calls them "transformation" cards, so maybe WOPC is too rigid in the way they apply the term!

eta: more info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformation_playing_card

Tarot is educational!

Padma

;) I know that tip of the tongue feeling oh so well!

Speaking of scenic pip type cards, I spotted a fun one on the Goodwill site! If anyone likes Japanese imagery/art style, these are kind of interesting in a Kabuki kind of way! (it is always worth a trip there, when searching for unique things...) I hope it is ok to post the url on a bidding site! (no one is bidding on these currently)

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/Angel-Ukiyoe-Playing-Cards-Made-in-Japan-21708318.html

Madrigal

Loving all these links and pics! I go back and forth with illustrated pips vs. non wrt playing cards. Sometimes, if the deck is done with real attention to detail, the plain symbols are just so clear and lovely laid out on beautiful cardstock, you can just feel it's a language. The Uusi Pagan deck is like that. I'll post a few of the plain cards just so you can see what I mean. I'll try and get my Ring Cycle cards up today, too.

Padma

Re: Key to the Kingdom... this one? That's the one I wish-listed... and the prices are very good indeed :D

Also I just noticed that listing calls them "transformation" cards, so maybe WOPC is too rigid in the way they apply the term!

eta: more info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformation_playing_card

Tarot is educational!

That was interesting, Laura! I didn't know about the transformation thing till you mentioned it...I really also loved the example from the Vanity Fair deck (top right hand corner) of the wikipedia link you posted - going to dig up more on it - and wow, yes, great prices on the Key to the Kingdom! :bugeyed: oh and yes, I meant the slip-case set!

@Madrigal, I would love to see more of your cards, yes! :D I do know what you mean - about the spare elegance of certain plain pip cards - I guess I am just so used to RWS style decks of tarot that I much prefer my pips illustrated! (especially as I cannot get the hang of reading playing cards, I don't know why!) I don't use playing cards other than to enjoy the art and to try and read them. I was never very good at actual card games, per se...

Madrigal

Enable Warning

Padma and Laura, I'm pretty sure I recall you both being part of the Arcana deck thread but just in case you--and anyone else on this thread--missed it...check these out.