Decks You Wish You Hadn't Bought?

WyrdRaven

The Native American Tarot... Not the thing to give a cultural anthropologist. (LOL) After I'd finished cringing, I regifted it immediately.
The Enchanted Tarot... Pale, washed-out colors, white borders that lend a matte appearance to the images, none of the beautiful details in the original fabric art are clearly visible. Replaced it with the ZF, although I'm keeping the book (great photographs).
The Art Nouveau Tarot (Meyers)... Love Judgement, the Sun, the Magician and Meyers' card. Terribly disappointed by the remaining guys-- SO not my cup of tea. Wish I could have seen the whole deck first
Tarot of Oz... All that white cardstock! I am so distracted by the white space surrounding the images that I can't read with the deck. The art is a bit too modern for me. Wish they'd reproduced the images in the first edition Oz books instead.

akirafist

After dozens of good reviews on Amazon, I bought "Libert T tarot". Is this seriously supposed to be an "enhancement" on Thoth? They washed out all the colors, removed the fantastic details and introduced bestiality and useless sex scenes with donkeys. And bulls reading books.

Bleh, into the crap drawer it goes. If you really need pictures in the minors, use a different deck. Thoth is perfect as-is.

nisaba

<grin> In the short-term I've been disappointed by some purchases, yes. But in the longer term, I don't think I've ever regretted a deck. M y dreadful Sacred Circle made a nice present to a dear friend who's deluded enough to love it. And her teenage daughter loves that dreadful Deviant Moon. There're about five others in my collection which are still waiting for the right person who will love them to come along.

papercut

I wish I hadnt bought the Deviant Moon. I dont find it creepy, I find it smug. Full of smug characters, and a giver of smug readings.

It's the only deck I've ever wanted to get rid of, but I cant be bothered ebaying it. My boyfriend said I should give it to him, but he is only interested in decks inasmuch as they have the potential to go OOP and skyrocket in price.

Given the popularity of the DM (best deck of all time? *Really?*), I told him he'd be waiting a long time.

So for now the deck sits unused on my shelf, being smug.

greatdane

I agree, Nisaba

I've gifted several decks and don't regret it one bit. I learned something from getting the deck (even if it was that it wasn't the deck for me) and I felt good passing it along.

nisaba

Your own personal Nine Cups Deck! I like it!

To me, the DM looks like a baby-deck, or a teenager who thinks they're crash-hot and full of life-experience because they've had a lot of indiscriminate sex. The Bosch deck looks like someone who really *has* been around for decades, and seen more than the teenager ever will. The Bosch is the deck that the DM wants to be when it grows up.

Guess which one I love.

Now, back to your regular programming.

Carla

I wish I hadn't bought Bright Ideas Deck. I'm thinking of just tossing it in the bin, to be honest. I also wish I hadn't bought Housewives. I can't get rid of it in trade or sale, and it's in perfectly good condition, but it is wasting space in my home and I actually actively dislike it at this point.

sapienza

Carla, I know what it's like to dislike a deck and not be able to get rid of it. But, in saying that, don't throw it in the bin. Check out the 'I Don't Love You - Giveaway' thread here. Perhaps gifting the decks is the best solution. :)

AineFoley

I'm 40 and I don't think the DM is a deck for a teenager - I love it. But then again I think age is a state of mind, I spend a lot of time around people in their late teens and early twenties and some of them are much more mature and together than I am! And to be honest the most childish behaviour I have experienced of late has been from senior lecturers - and none of them will see 30 again or 40 for that matter.

Some teenagers are full of life-experience - by the time I reached 17 I had experienced death (many times), a broken home and I had been working since the age of 14 to help support my family. The only thing I hadn't experienced was the indiscriminate sex - alas!

So actually the DM does resonate with people who have had life experience, regardless of age.

nisaba said:
To me, the DM looks like a baby-deck, or a teenager who thinks they're crash-hot and full of life-experience because they've had a lot of indiscriminate sex.

Starshower

What has the DM got to do with teenage sex?
Why will teenagers never acquire the life experience of older people? ( quick - send round the police - she could be plotting dastardliness!)
I love the DM's wry humour & sophisticated, inventive art style.

As opposed to Decks I Wish I Hadn't Bought, like (mega-cringe):
Art Nouveau (Casselli)
Mystic Faerie
Dream Enchantress:
these 3 too flibberty-gibbet for me.
Rumi (not really a tarot, but wondrous poetry)
Liber T of Stars Eternal (despite gorgeous colours & appealing title.)
Vanessa (witty, neat tin, but too shallow & narcissistic for me.)
Trees (a v pretty 5-min wonder.)

I hated the Spiral & Celestial so much, despite the lovely themes ... the pallid, sickly art style conjured up a near-fatal childhood illness I had, & made me feel physically ill. :( I gave them away, with a de-contamination, purifying blessing.

There are more I never use. I must put some up for sale or trade ...