tarot spreads book

Nemia

Well, I didn't want to write it before.... but if YOU ever publish a book about your spreads (and especially the way you conceive and develop them), then I'll buy it for sure!

Obviously, a wonderful source for spreads is here on AT, and it can't get better, more complex and thought-provoking than with Barleywine's spreads.

I have an extra sub-notebook for Barleywine in my Evernote tarot notebook.

Barleywine

Well, I didn't want to write it before.... but if YOU ever publish a book about your spreads (and especially the way you conceive and develop them), then I'll buy it for sure!

Obviously, a wonderful source for spreads is here on AT, and it can't get better, more complex and thought-provoking than with Barleywine's spreads.

I have an extra sub-notebook for Barleywine in my Evernote tarot notebook.

Thanks! I'm honored, since I value your opinion highly. I have to rethink the presentation on my book since I originally aimed at including only variations on the "cross-type" spread, but the population of other types has exploded. Right now I have to decide whether to go with pdf delivery and payment via PayPal, or a print-on-demand publisher like Lulu. I was going to do it myself as a spiral-bound workbook that can be laid out flat, but it's a fairly hefty commitment.

Shade

What is particularly wonderful about Moore's book is that it isn't just a collection of spreads, it's mainly a book on spread theory. She talks about the way we process information visually and the reason some spreads are particularly successful and others are not. She also talks about the relationship between your beliefs and the layouts you use.

gregory

Thanks! I'm honored, since I value your opinion highly. I have to rethink the presentation on my book since I originally aimed at including only variations on the "cross-type" spread, but the population of other types has exploded. Right now I have to decide whether to go with pdf delivery and payment via PayPal, or a print-on-demand publisher like Lulu. I was going to do it myself as a spiral-bound workbook that can be laid out flat, but it's a fairly hefty commitment.
NOOOOOT Lulu. Createspace, if you must, but please not Lulu.

Shade said:
What is particularly wonderful about Moore's book is that it isn't just a collection of spreads, it's mainly a book on spread theory. She talks about the way we process information visually and teh reason some spreads are particularly successful and others are not. She also talks about the relationship between your beliefs and the layouts you use.
Exactly. In my not at all humble opinion, it's a must-read. And I don't DO spreads, but it still is. :D

Astraea

Joan Bunting's Learning Tarot Spreads is my favorite.

silvereye

NOOOOOT Lulu. Createspace, if you must, but please not Lulu.

Exactly. In my not at all humble opinion, it's a must-read. And I don't DO spreads, but it still is. :D

Yes as i was worried that the layout of the kindle version would be all wonkers

Nemia

You can download the sample first. I can see the spread diagrams perfectly fine.

I also have Wen's tome on my Kindle. If I want to study the diagrams and tables more in-depth, I simply open them on my laptop, but they're fine also on the Kindle.

And Moore's spread diagrams are clear and simple. The text is organized very well, you always know on which level of a spread explanation you are.

And Barleywine: whatever you decide, just let me know where I can find your book and I'll buy it.

_R_

Concerning the self-publishing services offered by both Amazon (Createspace) and Lulu, having books by both, I can only comment as a reader as opposed to publisher, but in my experience those by Createspace (and Amazon's e-book service) are much better in quality than those produced by Lulu.

Again, one would want to look into the support offered in typesetting and so on, as well as financial remuneration modalities. No doubt there are blogs and webpages dedicated to comparing these various services.

gregory

There's also the fact that lulu can go horribly wrong and they are TOTALLY unhelpful when that happens.

I bought JMD's tome there. It wasn't very cheap. It would not download. I contacted lulu many times and they never answered. I only got it at all by asking jmd to help me - I was about ready to open a paypal dispute - but that is really tricky with a failed download. That is SO not OK.

Barleywine

There's also the fact that lulu can go horribly wrong and they are TOTALLY unhelpful when that happens.

I bought JMD's tome there. It wasn't very cheap. It would not download. I contacted lulu many times and they never answered. I only got it at all by asking jmd to help me - I was about ready to open a paypal dispute - but that is really tricky with a failed download. That is SO not OK.

This is interesting since I also bought JMD's material as a pdf from Lulu and had no problem whatsoever (except that they keep pestering me with e-mail offers for their services).