Renaissance Tarot (Jones / Lyle) - 2 of Swords

Sulis

Against a violet background we see a set of perfectly balanced scales. Below the scales are two upward pointing swords with their blades crossed.

This is one of those cards that (to me anyway) seems to have a few different meanings and this card shows them all very well.

This could be two points of view coming together, it could be two ideas in your head together.
We have these two points of view or two sides of an argument or discussion held in perfect balance creating a stalemate. This is something that can't go on forever, the scales will have to tip one way or the other sooner or later.. It's a delicate balance creating a time of peace (for now) but not a peace that can last.
Once again, as a two the card relates to The High Priestess and shows us a time of pause and of introspection, that time just before a decision is made when it is still held in balance.

As well as showing 2 points of view or 2 thoughts this image could also just simply show the time when we decide what to do with the energy presented to us in the Ace.
The Ace is the 'light-bulb moment', the moment when we become conscious of a new idea but also see it's potential for success, it's all there in front of us, if only we can decide what to do with it.
And this card is that process, the decision making.
It's a time when we weigh up our various options before we finally make the decision that then becomes the three.

I think that it's also possible to relate this to the RWS image where we see a blindfolded woman holding two crossed swords with her back to the ocean. The RWS image speaks not only of stalemate and of an uneasy peace but also of a refusal to see the emotional side of something. The blindfolded woman refuses to acknowledge the emotional issues and focuses just on logic.
The fact that the two swords in this image are crossed could also point to something being blocked out too although not so much as with the RWS version.

Edited to add
More thoughts that I would like to add to this post:
The crossed swords blocking out those emotions could also be seen in a protective way. They are shielding us from our emotions.
This links this card well with the Marseilles version of the card in which we see two curved swords, interlinked at either end and creating an enclosure in which a beautiful flower blooms. The swords protect the flower just as the crossed swords protect the initial idea or even protect us from our emotions which could interfere with the decision making process.
Does that make sense?

Attachments

• 2 of Swords.jpg
    2 of Swords.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 621
  • RWS 2 of Swords.jpg
    RWS 2 of Swords.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 604
  • 2 d'Epee.jpg
    2 d'Epee.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 888

Papageno

Sulis said:
Edited to add
More thoughts that I would like to add to this post:
The crossed swords blocking out those emotions could also be seen in a protective way. They are shielding us from our emotions.
This links this card well with the Marseilles version of the card in which we see two curved swords, interlinked at either end and creating an enclosure in which a beautiful flower blooms. The swords protect the flower just as the crossed swords protect the initial idea or even protect us from our emotions which could interfere with the decision making process.
Does that make sense?

I certainly wouldn't dismiss the possibility......that's really unique and insightful.
Intellect restraining emotion. pretty brilliant Sulis.
sanguine, cold blooded, hard edged objectivity, perfectly balanced tension

love it!

Debra

Great insights, Sulis, and I love the contrast with the other two cards!
Some people are really challenged when it comes to having more than one idea at a time. Holding two ideas in their minds requires great effort, and so that "on the one hand, on the other hand" kind of thinking seems represented to me here. I think it may well involve denial of emotion, but at the very least, the effort to be "even handed" or "balanced" in consideration of different views.

Enchanted

Wow, really great insights! I love that with this deck, such a simple image says so much! :)

I like the inclusion of scales on this card, it really appeals to me.

I see crossed swords as indicating conflict, but I guess that is the irony with this card, the conflict creates a kind of balance. I also like how there is no ribbons on this card, there is no outside energy holding these swords crossed, it is a choice that you have made, and there is also nothing stopping you from uncrossing them.

Great image!

Sulis

Ooh good thinking about the lack of ribbons Enchanted, I hadn't even noticed that.

I really like that scales have been included on this card too :)

WooMonkey

I agree--great image!!! The scales get across the decision making aspect. The crossed swords to me are saying "back off". The person has to think the decision through by themself, without outside influences, advice or emotions.

Enchanted

WooMonkey said:
I agree--great image!!! The scales get across the decision making aspect. The crossed swords to me are saying "back off". The person has to think the decision through by themself, without outside influences, advice or emotions.

I like that! "Back off!" Definitely something that you feel when the two of swords comes up. Whether it is healthy or harmful is another thing entirely.

Bernice

Just at a glance (in a spread) it looks like equally balanced forces to me. Both sides/people (or whatever) have reached an impass. Perhaps with positive cards it could mean an agreement to disagree. Reminds me of the term 'Cold War'. Both sides standing their ground.

Bee :)