the phantomwise tarot - deck in progress

temperlyne

I just reread you post and I am sorry I called your snow leopard a panther! Snow leopards are way cooler! Having seen a snow leopard pursue a mountain goat? down an unbelievably steep slope at full speed, (BBC's Planet earth series, HIGHLY recomended) I think using it for the strength card only enhances the strength of the lady in the card.
Is there a symbolic reason for using such a rare and secluded animal in this card? Just curious, I love it anyway.

alizarin

temperlyne said:
Is there a symbolic reason for using such a rare and secluded animal in this card? Just curious, I love it anyway.

No particular reason, in fact it was mostly unintentional: I'd started the card with the intent of having it be a white tiger, but I kept struggling with it until I thought to change it to a snow leopard instead (the poor cat was just white for a good long while). Mostly I had wanted it to be a big cat that was actually black & white, and I really like it much better this way.

I remembered while I was painting it that I'd had a stuffed toy snow leopard when I was little, too, which makes me think it was the right decision to change it. I'm glad you like it this way!

Little Hare

i really do love your work! The strength card is lovely, i really love the snow leopard and that lovely ladies black hair!

Karakurt

Wow.. Your paintings are breathtaking both as art and as tarot. I would like to read them. I like that there are no colors - it makes it easyer to understand the meaning of each card. Sometimes colors can just confuse me so I cannot understand anything at all. As I said - If it would be a tarot deck in a shop, I'd definitely buy it. Keep on the great work.

satellite78

Wow. Quite beautiful! I would love to have a deck like this. I really liked the rest of your art as well.

piledrivefinger

I like these a lot! The black and white is very effective.

alizarin

Thank you all very much!

I finally finished the Wheel of Fortune. It went through several versions, it was a clock and then a Celtic knot sort of Yin-Yang thing and I thought about making it a Ferris Wheel, but in the end I opted for simplicity and I think it works well this way.

Entire gallery is here, of course.

Halfway through the majors! Hopefully they'll be complete by the Summer, and then I can start worrying about the minors...

alizarin

Justice is finished.

There's also a sneak preview of the Page of Swords over on my journal.

LixiPixi

alizarin said:
Justice is finished.

There's also a sneak preview of the Page of Swords over on my journal.

I absolutely love them both! Your style is just amazing to me. You're right about the constellation feel of the Justice card - sort of like she's out in space. It gives a sense of Justice watching over the universe. I love it!

LP~

Chronata

Wow. Justice is quite lovely. And you are right...the Wheel of Fortune IS very very effective. Evenwith it being so simple!

I keep saying that I don't need to buy any more decks. But this is the one exception. If this were for sale right now, I'd shell out whatever it would take to own it.

Your work is just so hauntingly beautiful. And each new card added is a joy and a wonder to behold.