King of Cups/King of Swords

Luna_Star

I'm trying to understand the personality traits of a person described as both of these kings. Out of all the combinations of court cards, this one confuses me most because they feel like polar opposites of each other.

I can see a person like this as being in touch with his emotions (king of cups) but being so good at masking them that he comes across cold (king of swords). The king of swords is an outer shell, a facade.

Other traits I can think of are that he's a critical thinker, and a leader (both kings). Or that he at least has enough charisma to become a leader if he so chooses.

Thoughts?

rwcarter

The first thing I thought of was someone who's half emotional and half logical - Mr. Spock from Star Trek.

I think of charisma as being more the realm of the King Wands.

Rodney

LovelyMissAries

I see someone who's spiritual/religious and masters of these aspect(s). They are very willing to tell you how they feel but only after you've reached out to them first. They're torn, to say the least, between logic and emotion and probably value logic a great deal more. There's emotional undercurrents to everything they say. They are direct. They might even be blunt on purpose knowing fully-well it will hurt your feelings. They like to cook seafood... okay, that's a really general statement but I thought about what both of these kings are holding in their hand (in the RWS deck). The KoC holds a fish, and the KoS is holding the knife... which reminded me of filleting a fish.

nisaba

Someone who experiences their emotions fully, but maintains their intellectual view of the world as well. An intelligent lover or parent. A devoted academic.

sacredashes

Luna_Star said:
I'm trying to understand the personality traits of a person described as both of these kings.

I would read it as someone who could be uncomfortable being in touch with certain emotional aspects in themselves (King of Cups to me is a masculine energy in a feminine element)... therefore the person may appear to be capable in sympathizing/empathizing with others but may for some reason have difficulties dealing with their own. How would that effect the way he/she relates to others?

The King of Cups is a healer sort of energy by association with the water element; however he may be dealing with issues in a different way when it comes to his own. The Kings can bring about maturity as the title suggests; if the seeker is willing to explore that which makes him/her uncomfortable.

Combined with the King of Swords (masculine energy in a masculine aspect), is he/she being a little too logical? too focused on intellectualizing that he/she maybe missing out on the nourishing potential that comes with taking care of one's emotional well-being, along with those around them.

What is interesting here is that the cards can be interpreted in several ways, depending which the the seeker would have to find relevance in:

A) Could the cards be indicating the individual can benefit from exploring the need in finding a healthy balance between what the head is telling saying vs what the heart wants; to actively search solutions not only by way of IQ but EQ as well. Or... perhaps the individual is one who has been through these challenges and is able to help others by sharing their wisdom/experiences.

B) The combination may suggest that part of the challenge lies in the individual sorting out where (if indeed there are any;)) the conflict lies... Is there too much emotion, not enough logical clarity or vice versa?

C) Are the cards referring to the person's approach within any given a situation (as in... is it a personality trait and is prevalent in the person regardless of situation) or is it referring to a specific situation. Either way, the seeker can gain so much insight by acknowledging what kind of benefit could one derive from this reading if one becomes aware of the 2 energies at play here.

:heart:

PAMUYA

Luna_Star said:
I'm trying to understand the personality traits of a person described as both of these kings. Out of all the combinations of court cards, this one confuses me most because they feel like polar opposites of each other.

I can see a person like this as being in touch with his emotions (king of cups) but being so good at masking them that he comes across cold (king of swords). The king of swords is an outer shell, a facade.

Other traits I can think of are that he's a critical thinker, and a leader (both kings). Or that he at least has enough charisma to become a leader if he so chooses.

Thoughts?

Both Kings are mature and cunning. Their facades are kept in place when in public. This is how I see these kings:

Cup: This king is considerate, his desicions are based on being kind and helpful. He wants to be liked and for his people to love him. This can be a strength and a weakness, making it hard for him to make tough decisions. This king rules like a politician.

Swords: This king rules from the intellect. He is a man's man. He makes a decisions based on rules and regulations and that is that. He is a strong ruler and will listen to reason and logic, but lacks compassion. This king rules like a general.

Thirteen

It has been said that both make good judges, one who judges by way of the law, strict and fair, the other who judges with compassion and empathy, the spirit rather than letter of the law.

So I'd say that a King/Cup and King/Swords combo would get you a judge, someone who understands the law and the spirit of that law.

PAMUYA

Thirteen said:
It has been said that both make good judges, one who judges by way of the law, strict and fair, the other who judges with compassion and empathy, the spirit rather than letter of the law.

So I'd say that a King/Cup and King/Swords combo would get you a judge, someone who understands the law and the spirit of that law.
Yes, the combo would be a judge!

starrystarrynight

The combo would also make a good doctor or counselor.

Luna_Star

Thank you everyone for your responses. I have been intrigued by this card combo for a while and wanted to know how others viewed the cards in this context.

Thanks again.