Gilded Tarot: The Lovers

oceanpoetry

First, let me say, I think this is an absolutely beautiful deck - I love the vibrant colors and the detailed design. I am eagerly awaiting its wider publication later in the year.

I am having trouble with one card, "The Lovers" ... I had a negative first reaction when I first saw this card. I don't care for the military armor of the man. And to me, woman appears to be struggling to get away rather than melting into his embrace (which I am sure was the illustrator's intent).

I would love to hear other opinions and reactions about this card.

dolphinprincess

oceanpoetry said:
First, let me say, I think this is an absolutely beautiful deck - I love the vibrant colors and the detailed design. I am eagerly awaiting its wider publication later in the year.

I am having trouble with one card, "The Lovers" ... I had a negative first reaction when I first saw this card. I don't care for the military armor of the man. And to me, woman appears to be struggling to get away rather than melting into his embrace (which I am sure was the illustrator's intent).

oceanpoetry,

this was one of my favorite cards... i talked about it in this thread:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27177

cirom

oceanpoetry said:
I don't care for the military armor of the man. And to me, woman appears to be struggling to get away rather than melting into his embrace (which I am sure was the illustrator's intent).

The "melting embrace" was indeed my objective, but I must admit your point is a good one and is well taken, the poses could be interpreted mistakenly and seen as an unwilling struggle.

Oh well...you'll just have to trust me... she was definately not trying to get away :)

oceanpoetry

Thank you for your reply, cirom! It is definitely provocative ...the cards do evoke a strong emotional response, that is what makes it so intriguing. I am really looking forward to getting this deck!

shelikes2read

oceanpoetry said:

I could see the melting-embrace aspect of the card, but it did cross my mind to think, "Ouch!" for the woman. She's so, er, lightly dressed ;), and he's got armor on.

It made me think of a joke about a man who goes into a lingerie shop to purchase a slinky nightgown for his wife. The salesperson shows him a satin one with lace on the outside, and the man asked if the nightgown's texture was scratchy or soft.

The salesperson assured the man that the gown was silky and soft inside and his wife wouldn't find it scratchy at all.

"I wasn't asking if it's scratchy on the INSIDE. I was asking if it felt scratchy on the OUTSIDE", explained the man.

"Why would you worry about that?", asked the salesperson.

"That's where I am".

When I first saw the Lovers card, I hoped that none of the armor was scratchy on the outside. ;) But other than that, I felt the passion that the card is meant to convey very clearly.

Kenny

I'm new to tarot, at first I tried the Sharman-Caselli deck but wasn't too happy about it so I'm now trying the Guilded Tarot. To help me learn the deck I'm doing a 'Card a Day'. I would like your feedback on my musings, thanks.

The Lovers
The card is seperated into three or four sections. The first is the divine which appears from the top of the card. The second (or second and third) are the two lovers embraced together. The last section is the water of everyday life.

At first I was put off by the look of the card as it did not show what I thought it would show, i.e. the choice, but as I looked deeper the card made more sense.

The divine touches both the lovers and blesses them equally but only the woman is truely open to the divine and so she is in rapture. The man is concerned only with the woman, he is mostly set in the waters of everyday life and hardly notices the divine presence.

The woman wants to the free to experience the divine so she is pushing herself up towards it but the man wishes for them to remain seated in the real world and he holds the woman's arm to make sure she doesn't escape. But his other arm seems to be aiding the woman to reach the divine. A delicate balance of needing to be close and not letting go, and allowing the other lover free to see if they do love you.

The dolphins in the water indicate communication, an important part of any relationship.

To me this card is a balance between choices, but is more stuble in the way it shows this. The choice is a delicate choice and could be between the worldly and the divine; between letting go and holding on; between need and trust. The dolphins show that communication is needed. Lastly it shows that even if you set yourself solidly in the world the divine can still touch you if you let it in.

annik

This is my favorite card of this deck. I saw this card a little bit diferrently. I saw more sensuality and extasy from both of them. And the man makes me think of a Roman soldier.

starrystarrynight

...my cheeks get red and my toes curl when I look at this card... ;)

If it is supposed to suggest a significant life choice, all I can say is, "I'll have some of what she's having."

Le Chat

The Lovers

This card is possibly the closest to "The Lovers" card interpretation. Ecstacy is putting it mildly. At the same time it is truly a beautiful card.

This is considered a card for making wise choices. Balance is truly the goal. In this card I see the perfection that is achieved with balance.

Kenny

Maybe inside we all feel different about what love is. What love entails and means. What we have to do for love to flourish.