What can I do with tarot onboard a plane?

Selkie Lass

In a couple months, I will be taking a trip to Florida and then Canada. I thought I could use my tarot cards to keep me entertained during the flights. I would like some suggestions on various ways of doing so. Has anyone ever done such a thing? If you did, what did you do?

Kiata

Onboard a plane with your "imaginary buddy"

I do it all the time. The tarot cards are my best friends. They are foreign, so I am learning their language all the time and they are my friends trying to learn my language : ) he he Sometimes, when in a Pub for example, and I feel a bit lonely and bored of small talk, I pull cards and make it an exercise to ask for small things, nothing too important cause the concentration is not too great after a couple of glasses :) I would ask them " how would you describe the person over there" and pull a couple of cards. Then I would learn more of their language of how they are relating to my language. Hope that makes any sense.. : ( Anything, really is worthwhile asking, just to learn more of a language. If you have a person beside you that you know, ask them of thinking of an object, and you ask the cards what object he /she is thinking of. I always thank the cards for "playing" along :) cause I feel they are sacred. So far they have always been happy to play along silly games and have amazingly described certain object, in a jaw-dropping way. lol

Enjoy your flight . xx

danieljuk

I've never done it on a plane but one exercise I do is to pull 2 or 3 random cards (not for me or for a person) and try to combine the meanings and work out the message! you could do readings for films or tv on the entertainment system. what will the outcome for the fictional characters be? finally take a card at a time and really meditate on it. New things suddenly pop out at me a lot! why is the character in that position? how did they get there? what will happen next? what is the season, background, colours, themes in the card?

just some ideas :)

Starshower

I made my 1st-ever aeroplane flight last autumn, & was terrified. I needed meds from my doctor + my usual beta-blockers (for high BP) even to just get on the plane.
Thanks to my favourite music on headphones, wonderful views of glaciers & icebergs in Iceland & then volcanoes, Great Lakes, Snake river etc and my tarot, I actually enjoyed the flight & took loads of wonderful, amazing pics, once the pills kicked in & relaxed me.

Back to topic: I shuffled & drew 3 or 4 cards, asking my cheery Joie de Vivre deck to tell me something about my situation & what I could see. It did! Amazingly accurately! How I wish I had taken pics of my little spreads too. Each one seemed to precisely mirror either the clear views from the window (right down to the ice crystals on the outside) or else the people around me - the stewardess' face & expression was just like a card, & a child's socks matched a pattern in the deck, etc. Selective attention I suppose - but such fun!

My other use was to make a fan of 8 or 9 cards of a bigger deck - i think the Druidcraft - on the way back, to distract me from my phobic fear at take-off. No pills this time, & my heart was thundering ready to explode. So I fanned out my cards and hid my ipod behind them, so I could film the take-off, to distract me. It's fantastic footage & I am so proud I weathered those flights without fainting or being sick, or having a heart-attack or stroke!
Turned out a flight attendant had been watching me with interest, totally aware of what i was up to & why - she had seen my terrified face & was worried. She was also sneaking an interested peek at my cards, & winked at my partner. So much for my attempts to be surreptitious! lol.

Enjoy your flights, and try asking the cards about your route, the views, destination etc. Hope you enjoy your trips! :)

Padma

When I use mine on board to play reading games with (and they do enjoy games!) or just shuffle them to soothe myself, I usually end up reading the cards of my curious seat mates. Not always, but when it happens, it's fun :D

I find them the perfect companion on a flight - they're quite, soothing, pretty, and relaxing - and if you want to snooze they never bother you ;) Have fun on your trip!

Carla

You can do anything you like with your cards on a plane, bearing in mind how tiny the table is. Bring your journal if you like and write in it. Sit and meditate on cards individually. Examine your cards more minutely than you've ever done before. You could pick one card and contemplate/journal about it for the entire journey. That would be a challenge!

Possibilities are pretty much endless.

Kathy123

Sadly, I have to admit that I am a closet Tarot reader :(

Although I always have my current deck on me (in my purse), whenever I go on vacation, I take this out of my purse, along with my pendulum and my crystals. I always feel very lost without them :( I guess I was always worried about the guards at the airport pulling them out, making some rude remark, etc. etc.

This post makes me feel better about travelling with my "significant others" :)

celticnoodle

In a couple months, I will be taking a trip to Florida and then Canada. I thought I could use my tarot cards to keep me entertained during the flights. I would like some suggestions on various ways of doing so. Has anyone ever done such a thing? If you did, what did you do?

Oh I fly ALL the time. At least 3x a year--meaning at least 6 plane trips a year, to & fro. a few things to remember--

1. carry your tarot cards WITH you onto the plane, and NOT in your checked luggage. (which, I realize you are going to have one deck with you, obviously) but, 'extra' decks in your checked suitcase can be stolen. Luckily, I have not lost any that way--but we have had other things stolen out of our suitcase, unfortunately. :(

2. DO NOT CARRY ANY TAROT/ORACLE CARDS WITH GILTING!
I did make this mistake once, and they pulled me aside to question me and do a MORE thorough check with the wand, and I had 3 airport police personnel around me as they did so and LOTS of unwanted attention. Turned out--the gold gilted edges on my tarot deck set off alarms for them. :rolleyes:

3. The seat in front of you will have a small--VERY SMALL--pull down table where you can lay out your cards to play with them. it is smart to take a deck you can easily handle though and always be mindful, because the plane can hit air bumps and throw your cards and everything all over! so be careful!

I play with my tarot cards all the time in the airplanes and on car trips. If I'm not shuffling them, looking at the cards images, putting them into order, I'm reading them. I MUST have a deck of cards in my hands though whenever I'm sitting still! :D or a book. but most often the tarot deck wins! :D

I do like the ideas psted here of journaling about the cards, studying them (I do this too) and meditating on a card also.

(((Starshower))) I'm so sorry you had such a time while traveling! :(

lotus2blossom

I haven't pulled actual cards on an airplane, but I've used the card apps on my iPhone. I guess I haven't pulled actual cards due to the cramped room and only having a small table to work with.

I agree with what others have said to just play around with them. You can certainly do readings for those around you, but unless they are willingly asking for a reading and you give it to them then you don't really get feedback to really get a good feel for the cards. What I used to do (and still occasionally do) is ask short term projection questions for things coming up in my day, like: How will tonight go? How will dinner go? How will my trip to the museum go? Then shift it and ask more proactive questions like: What can I do to make this trip more enjoyable? What advice do you have for me today? What do I have to overcome today?

Perhaps even questions about yourself that could be obvious such as: How do I feel? What do I think about X? Can help you with the language.

I've felt that doing the short term questions so I can see a quick outcome can really help me get a better feel for the cards and the language.

I've also done some of Mary Greer's exercises as someone mentioned. She has good stuff if your looking for some more direction.