The bonefire has landed

shadowdancer

here in NZ :)

I ordered two decks, with a view to using one for mounting on a display canvas. I have placed them out on the canvas, and they will rock.

Early impressions as I am about to head off to work:

Thick cardstock which I have no issue with. They feel robust, but the thickness of the deck is perhaps thicker than most. I love my zombies which are about the same thickness (maybe slightly less) so no real issue for me at all. The overall feel is that this is a solid and meaty feeling deck when held in the hand. Borders are small and being a dark blue instead of the standard white or black work very well. Not sure why Death is the only card from the MA to have its number instead of title though. Titles are unobtrusive and in a font that is not grating on the eye.

The finish is matt, so may take a few shuffles for the cards to feel as though they slide easily. No indication of sticking or being rough against each other so again - cannot see this being an issue. And being matt there is less chance of them sliding around and out of your grasp.

Colours are wonderfully bright and vibrant. I have not had time to look through them all in detail, but I sense these images lend themselves to sitting down and just looking at each card in turn. There will be some details there that may puzzle to start with, but I reckon in a reading they will come into their own and have a more obvious relevance.

The booklet that comes with it is brief but to the point. Each card is bullet pointed with some indicators / suggestions. The first 11 pages is an introduction which I will look forward to reading this evening when home from work. Booklet is hand written, in capitals. Some of the text may have not photocopied as well as other parts, so will have to squint a little at some of the entries.

The wee pouch is made of felt, and tied with string. There is a wee decal in the shape of a heart with crossed bones and flames. Just to remind us of the title of the deck :)

The style of artwork is reminding me of some of the urban artwork I am seeing around Christchurch post quakes. (NOT to be mistaken for grafitti by yobbo's!!) and I feel it will have its own vibe which will either energise a reading for those who relate to it, or may jar those who do not feel an affinity with it. For those who like the look of the Pearls of Wisdom but find it too small and too detailed, may find this fits a little better.

Thanks Gabi for creating this, and for allowing us to share in your vision with this deck. It sounds like you had quite a journey, especially at the printing and distribution stage :)

Will post more thoughts when I have had a chance to dive in, but early thoughts are always valid. Many a time I have had heightened anticipation of a deck, then when it arrived and I looked through it, I felt empty or disappointment creep in. Not with this deck.

baylys

Ooooh! As soon as I saw you had yours I rushed out to the letterbox to discover my postie hasn't been yet (hurry up man, I got decks in the post!!!), and there was nothing waiting for me :mad:

baylys

Yay!!! The postie has just delivered me the decks.

I LOVE how Gabi has signed the back of each title card. So unobtrusive, but still, it's there!

Gabi, these are AMAZEBALLS!!!!!!

MoonGypsy

Oh wow, i am really getting excited...:D...but being in the USA, i think it is too early for me to start stalking poor Joyce, our dear Postie....:heart:

baylys

Oh wow, i am really getting excited...:D...but being in the USA, i think it is too early for me to start stalking poor Joyce, our dear Postie....:heart:

Go on, you know you want to!!!!!

shadowdancer

well, I have put together displays with this deck, ready for the next Body, Mind & Spirit festival. These will look terrific.

Colours not looking to hot in the photo's - my bad, but light was not good, and my camera is not the best in the world. The photo frames are actually straight but kinda look kooked in the photo.

Attachments

• IMG_9165.jpg
    IMG_9165.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 553
  • IMG_9162.jpg
    IMG_9162.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 435

victoria.star

well, I have put together displays with this deck, ready for the next Body, Mind & Spirit festival. These will look terrific.

Colours not looking to hot in the photo's - my bad, but light was not good, and my camera is not the best in the world. The photo frames are actually straight but kinda look kooked in the photo.

Pretty colors! And the face in your quartz crystal...wow.

MoonGypsy

Davina, you are too modest! :* The display looks awesome! LOVE the crystals,
too! Thanks soooo much for posting the pics, they have intensified my steadily increasing excitement!
i can hardly wait for my special prize!!!!!!!! Whoot! :D

karen0205

Very nice display, what a great way to show off the deck.
The colors look really nice and vibrant so I'm not sure what you
are concerned about with your photos. Thanks for sharing

shadowdancer

Thanks for that. :) I will take a photo of the stall at the time. It will have the canvas from Legacy of the Divine deck on the main easel board with my name, what I do etc. The back wall to the stall will have these displays and some laminated A4 prints from the Sacred Isle deck. Up til now the canvas had a large print of the montage from ToD, but I felt I wanted a change. The bonefire cards are so colourful I know they will look beautiful from a distance and draw people in to see what they are from close up.

The side wall (which is not as visible as the main wall) will have some laminated pictures from Rob Gonsalves. They are optical illusion type prints.

Yep, my stall is colourful :D Many people stop to look at the pictures and end up chatting about them. And then many decide to have a reading with me, so it really does act as a draw.