Baroque Bohemian Cats Tarot

skytwig

Oh, she is purrrrrrfect!!!!! :D

I love the intense yellow eyes!

baba-prague

She's a very serious lady :)

(by the way, because I know someone will ask, there ARE veils - the little cherubs behind each have a veil that they are half playing with, half hiding under)

ncefafn

I love the fact that she is black and white, it's perfect for the High Priestess, and I must say, she is the kindest-looking HP I've ever seen!

Kim

lunakasha

She is sooooo beautiful, Karen!

Perfect choice for the High Priestess...I have a black and white cat and she acts like she is royalty!!! This card definitely reminds me of her........purrrrfect!!!

:) Luna

Hedera

Karen, I love the image of the High Priestess, but as a tarot card I'm missing something 'moony' and/or 'watery'.

It might be there, but just in the details, so I've missed it....?

Melvis

Hmmm...I thought I saw a crescent moon in the painting above the HP's head? And is the woman in the painting on water, perhaps? The blue of the robe also suggests water to me. I had not noticed the veils until you mentioned them, baba. It looks like you're covering all the tarot bases!

I love her intense look! She does look as though she's peering into your soul. (But in a good way! ;) )

Peace,

Melvis
:TSTRE

baba-prague

Hedera said:
Karen, I love the image of the High Priestess, but as a tarot card I'm missing something 'moony' and/or 'watery'.

It might be there, but just in the details, so I've missed it....?

Hi Hedera, yes it's there, but quite hard to spot. The painting above the door is a woman holding a crescent moon - Melvis is right about this. I did think about putting this up as a separate detail, but didn't - if you can't see it as this size I will post it. I know it's subtle. We may eventually add another moon at her feet, but right now I am reluctant as I like the plainness of this card as a contrast to the very elaborate Courts.

Tell me what you think please!

We are indeed trying to, as Melvis says, "cover all the bases" because this isn't an art deck, it's very much about reading. Sometimes we have done a very RWS image, other times (most times in fact) we change it in our own way, but I don't want any of the cards to veer away from RWS too much - or to contradict those correspondences. Sometimes we are softening the images a little - it just seems inappropriate to have very harsh images on a deck with cats. Lat night we gave the Eight of Swords figure a means of escape for example. I want this to be an optimistic deck - but not a fluffy one.

Hedera

Oh yes, I see it now - at least, I see a woman holding something white, which could well be a moon.
It looks as if she's also holding a sun, is that right?

Still, I miss some (calm) water..... but perhaps that's just me.
I don't know, there's something a little bit too simple about this particular card for me, like it needs something more.
Not that a High Priestess shouldn't be simple and 'clean' in some ways, but in this one I feel as if I'm missing some symbolism.
But maybe that's because I keep comparing it to that splendid, rich Moon card.

I'm glad you're putting a means of escape in the 8 of Swords, because I always saw that card as 'you could get out if you only did something'. (all the swords surrounding the RWS figure could easily cut her ropes, although it might be a little dangerous)

Edited to add: I think I've figured out what I feel is wrong on the HP: it's too bright, too much daylight. I've always seen that card as taking place at night, or at least in deep shade.

baba-prague

Well, as I say, she may yet change a little - most of the cards I've already put up have since been tweaked - though no huge changes.

In some ways I agree she is very plain, in other ways I like this. But everything will be looked at again as more are finished. We print all and pin them on a board, and it's when you see one card in contrast to another that you often see what needs to be done.

I sort of think there is something not quite "there" yet about this card, but I don't yet know what. If we do anything it will be small probably.

The comments are helpful - thanks for that.

Royal Cat

I have been delighted with every one of these cards... HP included! I like the "plainness of it" very much since that fits with my understanding of the card better then an ornate one would.

Keep 'em coming! Every day I look froward to reading this thread and seeing what is new! :)

Cat