Using Thoth for the first time?

Citrin

A few days ago I got the Thoth tarot, and I started reading about the cards in Ziegler's book, looking at them, shuffling the deck, arranging them in groups and studied that. Today I borrowed the Book of Thoth from the library, and I went through almost half of it (my brain was fried afterwards hehe).

I'm always very quick to start using my decks (RWS), but I feel so insecure with the Thoth, it's so powerful! So, what do you guys think here, should I start practicing readings or keep on studying Crowley's and Ziegler's books more? Of course I should work with my intuition, as always when reading cards, but I feel like I need some background for a "new system"...

Little Baron

Hi Citrin

Just a personal thing, but when I used the Thoth, before reading too much, I worked with it intuitively and got some great results - looking at the colours (the dark minors contrasting or interacting with the light ones); seeing how characters looked or turned away from each other; thinking about the numbers.

It was a nice way to get to know it before starting with the heavy stuff. It feels like a deck that is full of dreams.

LB

Citrin

Yes, I had only read a little in Ziegler's book (which forced me out to buy it hehe), and soon as I got it I sat down carefully looking through each card, and putting away the ones I found 'complicated' to study more later.

Yup, it truly gets my imagination going. :) I love it! I thought it would be dark and super complex, but when I opened the package... Aah wonderful! The colours surprised me, in a good way.

Little Baron

I always thought they would be dark, but then, when I got it, I found them quite light and airy. Then, as I began to use them, they felt just 'really rich'. You might notice this as you work with it more. The more you do, the more sensual and alive the colouring becomes.

There is a lifetimes study in that deck but I do think it helps to spend some time connecting with it first - jotting down first impressions, developing your own layers. It's quite complex and I think you will get a lot out of it.

One site I found that explained stuff simply and is a nice resource is this one -

http://www.tryskelion.com/preface.htm

LB

Citrin

Thank you for your help! :) I'm definitely checking that out.

Zephyros

I love the Thoth, I fell in love with it the first time I saw the pictures of the cards in a book. However, I have found that at time it can be over dramatic, and that when it looks to be "powerful" it is just very serious, and has absolutley no sense of humor. But maybe thats only me.

Citrin

Hehe really? I don't know, looking at the Devil card... A little humor it must have! ;)

I've read some of the Book of Thoth now though, and Crowley is... Well, that is one serious man!