hexagon on Saturn's north pole

starrystarrynight

Isn't that the coolest thing?? It brought to mind crop circles here on Earth..

dadsnook2000

"Six" and Saturn

Some "number" resources note that "6" denotes a time when one is ready to take on social and family responsibilities. "6" relates also to the desire for a home and family, group harmony, a conservative community. Counseling and healing are also given in my resources.

I can see how some of this relates to Saturn. My question is, "How does the hexagon relate to Saturn's symbolism?"

As for the hex itself, my understanding is that Saturn is a gas planet. This would suggest that a surface configuration would not cause this phenomena in the upper levels of the atmosphere anymore than the Empire State Building affects the stratospheric clouds. Any thoughts anyone? Dave

franniee

Well as a gas planet....that just may have been a fluke at the moment the shot was taken.... right? It's rotation and gravitational pulls caused it I guess - I am no astronomer - love it but don't know enough about it.

But it is odd that it is the 6th planet from the sun in our solar system....

eeiry

dadsnook2000

Saturn's strange north pole

This strange geometrical shape in the atmosphere of Saturn has existed for many years. The problem was that we don't often have a space vehicle in that area to take pictures and when we do that particular view of the planet is not so good. This time, the photo-advantage was such that we can see the whole phenomena in one shot.

Solid surface areas are likely to be hundreds of miles below the top, visible surface. So, it is unlikely that the shape is caused by a ground effect. Dave.

ravenest

Actually that photo does not look like the surface of a gas planet, or gas cloud or gas formation, nor does it look like a planet surface.

Is it just me? I've never seen a planetary photo like that, with that grain and texture. Unless its enhanced someway?

It surface texture looks more like that foamy goo they use to make stuff in the movies.

Also note the angle of the shot and the lighting along with the caption ; 'Night time view'.

dadsnook2000

What you see is . . .

What you see is an infra-red view of the planet. The dark spot are cooler, caused by swirling of various mixtures of compounds from many levels in the atmosphere. Given the planets size, gravity and rotational motion, the "air" of this planet cannot remain calm. What we see in the photo looks like soup but it really is "relative heat/warmth" of very tenuous atmospheric boundary areas.

The dark areas suggest that there is a great deal of mixing and swirling going on. This is in direct contradiction to the permanence of the "hexagon" where the atmospheric currents swirl along the sides of the hexagon, then turn the corner to move down the next side. This acts like something solid. This is a real puzzle.

But my question is, "Does the hexagon on Saturn signify any symbolic message for astrologers?" Do we need a new way of looking at this old devil? Dave

rota

recent update on this story from NASA, with an animated rotational view:

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/cassini/media/cassini-20070327.html

As to what it may mean for astrologers, I have no idea... But the whole thing is so fascinating I can't help but think about it. What sort of artifact or system, so huge, and centered on a polar region of a gas planet, maintains its geometric shape so many miles underneath howling storms of gas and dust?