Bird Cards

Myrrha

This is a new oracle deck by Jane Toerien and Joyce Van Dobben. I keep going back and forth on whether to buy it or not. It looks lovely. Like the Aora Gemstone Oracle, there is more to each image than just a portrait of the bird.

The author had a site up for a while with more pictures but it seems to have been taken down.

The author of the "Inthecards" blog posted one card, and pointed out that the oracle is more for inspiration than prediction.

http://inthecards.wordpress.com/2008/04/28/bird-cards-blackbird/

The "Bird Signs" oracle deck seemed to have more realstic art that was pretty much just a picture of the bird.

I do love birds... but neither of these seems to be exactly what I am looking for.

Does anyone here use these cards? Are the meanings just sort of made up or do they have real relationship to mythology or folk beliefs?
---Myrrha

Sammie

Great Cards!!

Hello,

I have these cards (In The Cards is my blog) and even though I've only used them for one draw so far - it was a very, very intuitive response and gave me a message that really helped me.

They are what I would call an "Inspirational Oracle" but not everyone would classify them that way. In fact, you could very well ask a question of them or use them in a spread like Tarot.

Even though I will probably mostly use them for inspiration or comfort - I can very well see myself asking a question and looking to the Bird Cards for guidance.

They are very nice cards - I'm happy I purchased them! The book is super - explains how the cards came about, how to use them - including several spreads, the meanings of the cards and even the signifcance of the artwork on the cards.

The only negative thing I can think about them at all is that the card stock is a little bit thin - not dreadfully thin but a bit thin.

I would give these 5 out of 5 stars for a rating.

faunabay

I have the Bird Cards as well. I just got them not too long ago though and haven't done a thing with them other than flip through the deck. I really like how there are different things included with the birds though - crystals, rainbows, etc.

Like I said I haven't done anything with them yet, but am still glad I have them. :)

It's funny I kind of ended up with them in a round about, strange way. I saw them in a local Borders bookstore and they had them priced at $45!!!! and the suggested retail price on the box said $24.95. I then went to their customer computer to check out which price was correct and the computer had it listed for $12.95. HUH?? I got a sales person just to point out the difference prices to someone, thinking they'd just find out the problem, fix it and tell me what the correct cost was. Well when we went up to the register to see what it actually rang up as (which was the $45) they changed the price to the $12 one and said, "We'll only charge you the $12.95 since that's the way it was listed in the computer." I ended up saying OK, what the heck. I guess I was meant to have this deck!!! :laugh: :joke:

When I got it home and flipped through the cards I really was glad I got them!!! LOL

Myrrha

Sammie, I really like your blog. It is interesting to see how the different oracles read and how you relate them to your life.

I think I might have to get the lovely bird cards! I really like The exploding egg in the stork card, the day and night eggs in the parrot card. I like eggs and nests as well as birds. There is something mysterious about the art that is missing in the Bird Signs oracle.
--Myrrha

Myrrha

Faunabay your post went up just as I was replying. I'll have to look at Borders then although I didn't see them last time I was there. I wonder if the author's site being taken down and them being so on sale at Borders means they didn't sell well. That would be too bad.

--Myrrha

Sammie

It would be nice if you could find them on sale at Borders, Myrrha! I got mine at Amazon. We live so far from any large towns that I have to end up ordering most things.

HearthCricket

These are really pretty! Does anyone who has it know if the following birds are included?

Crow
BlueJay
Woodpecker
Chickadee
Hawk
Titmouse
Wren
??

Thank you!

BodhiSeed

All those you listed are included, except the titmouse (there is a cute little nuthatch however :D).

faunabay

Myrrha said:
Faunabay your post went up just as I was replying. I'll have to look at Borders then although I didn't see them last time I was there. I wonder if the author's site being taken down and them being so on sale at Borders means they didn't sell well. That would be too bad.

--Myrrha
They didn't say this but I kind of got the impression the $12.95 price from their computer was a mistake not a sale. But I'm sure the $45 mistaken original price was what kept it from being bought before I got it.

After all this talk I did draw a card last night. I got the Woodpecker and the information for this little guy was spot on for me. I had him on my headboard last night while I slept. :)