A Crystal Ball...

HearthCricket

celticnoodle said:
However, for me, daytime is best---I'm alone in the house, and it's quiet and I can find the time to spend with the crystal ball easier then.

Even though they all recommend night time (darker, less reflections, etc.) I plan to try her out at different times to see what works best for me. I can certainly make some rooms very dark simply by pulling shades down and closing drapes, though with summer coming on, I may find myself gazing in the early hours pre-dawn. I get tired at night...so fall and winter evenings will be a good time to try out!

celticnoodle

well, i do have some rooms in my house, where, I too, can make it quite dark. And, yes, I forgot to mention before that a candle burning nearby is supposedly good. My mother & aunt never burned a candle that I can recall them saying, but my daughter feels this is essential and I've heard that from others as well as reading it in books/online.

I think I'm going to pull my crystal ball out and make a place for her in my china closet in the diningroom. I have a beautiful box that I"ve lined in black velvet for her to sit in and then the box also has a nice little 'top' with compartments in it that I've kept medals and herbs there, as a way to keep the ball protected from low energies. something else I read in a book. However, having her out in the diningroom will give us a better chance to get to know each other.

hmmm...nice name, Sophia, pumpkin. I'm still not sure what to name my crystal ball. will have to think on it some more. maybe hold her to see what name she likes............

Little Baron

I am not sure about the naming and stuff. Can you not bond with it just as a tool? I don't personalise anything else that I use in that way.

I just looked at my ball. And wondered what it's name is.

First name that popped into my head.

Brad.

Very spiritual.

Not sure if I will use it. Feel a bit daft giving the ball a name, to be honest.

LB

Embla

LB, I adore the name Brad! And Mute, and Mute-too, too! Can´t think of more spiritual names! I named my crystal ball Esmeralda when I got her, eight years ago. She is 110 cm. I don´t see how naming your crystal ball is necessary though, unless it helps you form a closer, more personalized bond, with your crystal ball. Forming a relationship with your crystal ball is what is important!

I´m game for working with my crystal ball here! Sounds great. I have both the Ted Andrews and Uma Silbey book too.

HearthCricket

I don't think it is necessary to name your crystal ball, at all. I name things. It is what I do. It just came naturally to me. As does personalizing my crystal ball. I name and personalize lots of things that have nothing to do with divination, like my grandfather clock! I certainly don't name my tarot decks, though I have heard people on the forum that have done so! I think it is to each their own and that is what we will all find out as we go through the books. Some suggestions will be fine, others won't click at all. I don't think it is necessary to get all cutsie about it. For me it works. And I shared. But for everyone to suddenly go out and name their crystal balls that they have had for years and never thought of doing would be silly, IMO. For me it is part of the bonding process, but if it doesn't work for others, then don't even bother. We will all have our own individual experiences with this! Besides, I actually like Mute. It works! If he starts to work for you, maybe you will change your mind and call him Chatterball! :D

How many are planning to bathe their crystal balls in salt water, according to Ted? How many are planning to put them in the moonlight for 2 weeks to cleanse them? Or roll them all over your body to heal you? Miranda might get a night in the moonlight, but other than that, she will be polished, as needed, with water and cloth, and shined with a jewelers cloth that I bought specifically for her. And that is it. Keep her safe and private and some place where she isn't reflecting light like a magnifying glass and burning down my house! Thus, she may get covered with a cloth, even though she is in a dark place. Ophelia will be the same.

I have been told my several people that our house is enchanting. It looks like a basic house from the outside, but inside we have broke the rules of conformity and often it is like stepping into another century. For my husband and I it has worked to name things~maybe because we have no children. So, when I say put something next to Pip, or Humphrey, or move Sophia and Hawthorne, we know what we are talking about. It is just our lifestyle! But it won't be everyones! So, all that being said, it is certainly an individual choice, but not a necessity to name one's crystal ball!!

Little Baron

Haha. Mute and Mute-Too were just a joke really - in that neither ball has produced a damn thing for me. But that is more to do with me than them. I have not given them either enough time or effort, and I appreciate that that is necessary.

I don't have any books about balls. Aside from the one that came with the small Titania set. I remember it not really saying very much of use. I think there are sections in far older books I own that I got from antique shops, but havn't read up on them.

At the moment, I am not sure if it is worth buying a book. I think that they are very important [and cheers for the recommendations, HC ;) ] but I want to see what comes of my ten minute scrying sessions. I don't want this to be another situation where I go out on a spending-spree, getting hold as much as I can in one go and then the novelty wears off in a couple of weeks, when either I lose interest or get frustrated by lack of anything happen. There have been many instances in the past with tarot [even though I am working hard at using just the Victorian Romantic at the moment] that I have tried out one system or deck and tossed it aside for another before giving it a lengthy chance. And here, I don't want to do this. If it is to be, then the ball should be enough to start with, even though I appreciate pearls of knowledge from other peoples reading material, as and when they choose to share it in posts.

Brad would not be a name I would come up with, generally. Which is strange. But it was the first name that literally popped into my head. Even though I am not really into the naming-thing, it suits, I suppose.

LB

HearthCricket

LittleBuddha said:
Brad would not be a name I would come up with, generally. Which is strange. But it was the first name that literally popped into my head. Even though I am not really into the naming-thing, it suits, I suppose.LB

See, that is what happened to me with Miranda. Just popped into my head. And it worked. Maybe "Brad" isn't as mute as you think! ;) Spend some time gazing, tonight, and see what comes of it. Just don't try too hard. Just let it flow and think of the ball as an empty screen and see if you get the same pictures that you get in your head. But, yes, time and patience is a necessity in al this. Rushing it won't help. I need the books because this is all new territory for me and I find it interesting.

Embla~which of the two books do you like the most?

Little Baron

Haha, HC. Chatterball.

I love the sound of your world at home. It does sound enchanting. In your instance, it seems that naming illustrates the care that you give to items. And the value and appreciation, which is lovely.

I can see some sense in it. It does make it less of just an object, and more of a part of your life. I also son't see the point in naming decks, but probably because so many people have the same copy. I suppose that here, at least, all balls are different.

I am most interested in practicing and sharing our experiences, frustrations and triumphs with this work, if you would like.

'Brad' has been sitting around for quite a while and I think it would be nice to actually try and use 'him', rather than just leaving him on the side as some kind of ornament on my tarot table.

LB

P.S. Thanks for all the useful info about balls HC. It is interesting. Really appreciate it. And as always, your enthusiasm is infectious.

Pumpkin

Here are my girls.

The big one is about 4 1/4 inches. The smaller one is just a hair under 2 inches. The new one I ordered is just over 3 inches, but not here yet. I hope it will be shipped tomorrow.

I forgot to take the pictures when there was enough light so I took them outside just before it got dark.

Attachments

• CrystalBalls.jpg
    CrystalBalls.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 103