New Edition of DuQuette's Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot

EmpyreanKnight

A new edition of DuQuette's seminal introductory book on the Crowley's Thoth Tarot is in the offing, and it is bound to be released this September, on my exact birthday!

Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot: New Edition by Lon Milo DuQuette

I already have the 2003 edition, and I wonder in what ways this new edition would differ from that. It says on the site blurb that the introduction would have new material regarding the unicursal hexagram card, but beyond that it's mum.

Barleywine

Personally, I think I'd spend my money on the Seckler book and the hardcover BoT before I would upgrade DuQuette's. The original was well-written but didn't leave much of a lasting impression on someone who is steeped in the BoT. It reminded my of the old Miller Lite commercials: "More taste. less filling."

Zephyros

Personally, I think I'd spend my money on the Seckler book and the hardcover BoT before I would upgrade DuQuette's. The original was well-written but didn't leave much of a lasting impression on someone who is steeped in the BoT. It reminded my of the old Miller Lite commercials: "More taste. less filling."

I agree. It's an amazing book, and without it I wouldn't have any knowledge or understanding of the deck. It's a great introduction, but it's ultimate purpose is to be discarded. I won't upgrade my own copy.

EmpyreanKnight

I think if anyone right now is just beginning his Thoth journey, the DuQuette would be probably be the most prudent book to get. In my case tho I think you're right, I would definitely prioritize the Seckler in my list and it is a sure-buy. BUT since the hardcover BoT and the new DuQuette are going to be released on my birthday - well I guess I may be excused if I opt to binge on all three lol.

But really, I wonder what revisions were made in the new DuQuette. I'm looking for new stuff to learn after all, and if it's significantly different from the 2003 edition it is a definite shoo-in on my sure-buy list. Hoping a book preview becomes available.

Debra

You could write to him and ask.

Aeon418

Cynical ..... ?

But really, I wonder what revisions were made in the new DuQuette. I'm looking for new stuff to learn after all, and if it's significantly different from the 2003 edition it is a definite shoo-in on my sure-buy list. Hoping a book preview becomes available.
If past experience is anything to go by it won't be a revision. It will most likely be a minor expansion on the first edition.

In 1993 Lon released a book called, The Magick of Thelema. In 2003 the exact same book was published again under the title, The Magick of Aleister Crowley. The only differences between these two books is an f.a.q. about Crowley (designed to sooth the fears of overly excitable readers who really should know better :rolleyes:) and a rather skimpy chapter on the Rites of Eleusis. Despite the blurb on the back proudly declaring the new edition "features extensive corrections", non of the original book's shortcomings were addressed.

I won't be surprised if this 'new edition' of Lon's Thoth Tarot book is yet another example of the same old marketing trick that tries to convince the same people to buy the same product twice.

New readers of the book should rush out and buy it with a clear conscience.

Barleywine

If past experience is anything to go by it won't be a revision. It will most likely be a minor expansion on the first edition.

In 1993 Lon released a book called, The Magick of Thelema. In 2003 the exact same book was published again under the title, The Magick of Aleister Crowley. The only differences between these two books is an f.a.q. about Crowley (designed to sooth the fears of overly excitable readers who really should know better :rolleyes:) and a rather skimpy chapter on the Rites of Eleusis. Despite the blurb on the back proudly declaring the new edition "features extensive corrections", non of the original book's shortcomings were addressed.

I won't be surprised if this 'new edition' of Lon's Thoth Tarot book is yet another example of the same old marketing trick that tries to convince the same people to buy the same product twice.

New readers of the book should rush out and buy it with a clear conscience.

Mel Brook's had his finger on the pulse of this kind of marketing ploy in his memorable line from the Spaceballs movie: "We'll all be back in Spaceballs II: The Search for More Money!"

EmpyreanKnight

Uh oh, that does not bode well for this new edition lol. I'd still keep an open mind tho. Who knows, they might spring a nice surprise. :)

I think an email to Weiser is in order.