Doreen Virtue's Conversion

Emily

I am getting so bored of Doreen Virtue. - I have one of her angel decks - Healing with the Angels - and I did like it, I think it was either her first or second deck. I never realised just how prolific she would be.

There is a new age shop opening up in our town, I got all excited until I realised the only decks they had were Doreen Virtue - and a Rider Waite Smith.

EmpressArwen

That was when she was young, and why can´t a christian write erotica? She writes vampire, witch and now werewolf books in a sexy, elegant style with a heart and metaphysical ideas.She was christian, which aided her style, I´m so angry with that priest who tried to make an ascet out of her, and made her ashamed of her wonderful books.And now seems to have robbed her of a faith altogeather.
I´m not angry with you or Village Witch, because you couldn´t have known the right story, not being fans of hers.I´m sorry if it came out wrong.

And this has nothing to do with DV, but I felt I needed to say this anyway.

Um...have you ever read the Sleeping Beauty trilogy?

I am in fact a fan of hers. I do know her story. She wrote a very detailed book about it titled Called Out of Darkness.

My point is, belief is a windy road for most people...and that is great but when you've made a whole bunch of money off of something, to turn around and say it is bad but not offer refunds is crooked in my opinion.

Anyway, just my opinion.

Genna

I loved her books where she blended mystery, horror, intelligent plots, a lot of love, hetero- and homosexual love, catholicism, wodoo and all she is so good at.Then it seemed to me that a priest took advantage of her sorrow when her husband died, made her a born-again ascetic, and then an atheist, and my lovely blend of religion, luxury,mystery and love in her books were taken from me.
No, the first book I read by her was Interview with the Vampire.
Sorry everyone I´ve upset.

AnemoneRosie

Ascended Masters - huh?

Um...
I was not raised in a Judeo-Christian tradition.
What is it that makes the Ascended Masters non-Christian? As far as I can tell, DV makes a living selling Neo-Christianity to people who were baptised as children, and then left the Church some years later. After all, there's that Saints and Angels deck of hers, which is pretty Catholic, and then there's all the angel stuff. Wouldn't Ascended Masters be in that vein (rather than in the mermaids, fairies, and unicorns, one)?

So what're we all up in arms about?

Genna

I might have misunderstood what happened when she "took back" her vampire books in New Orleans, after her being "born-again". That might have been very hurtful to those who loved them (like I do). So I´m sorry if I´ve said something I shouldn´t.

EmpressArwen

I loved her books where she blended mystery, horror, intelligent plots, a lot of love, hetero- and homosexual love, catholicism, wodoo and all she is so good at.Then it seemed to me that a priest took advantage of her sorrow when her husband died, made her a born-again ascetic, and then an atheist, and my lovely blend of religion, luxury,mystery and love in her books were taken from me.
No, the first book I read by her was Interview with the Vampire.
Sorry everyone I´ve upset.

I might have misunderstood what happened when she "took back" her vampire books in New Orleans, after her being "born-again". That might have been very hurtful to those who loved them (like I do). So I´m sorry if I´ve said something I shouldn´t.

You haven't upset anyone, Genna. Not at all.

We all get an opinion here. I think it's hard to tell tone on posts some times...I certainly wasn't upset with you. I'm sorry if I came across that way.

((hugs))

Genna

Thank you! (((hugs)))
Love and Light Genna

Alta

Doreen Virtue

I was surprised to read that DV had renounced Ascended Masters, and presumably some of her other works. I had a few of her books, though not that one I think, but when I went to look I saw that I must have tossed them all in one of my periodic purges.

In one of her early books she spoke quite frankly about her strong desire for success, recounting her annoyance on going into a book store and seeing her products with poor display. Mind you much has changed since then!

I will also be interested in what happens to her upcoming tarot decks. A Jesus Tarot?

Celtictarot

I've just heard about this, Didn't Jessica Galbreth convert too? My family are episcopal. I'm not!

HighPriestess

I've just heard about this, Didn't Jessica Galbreth convert too? My family are episcopal. I'm not!

Yeah I don't know if it was on a TV show but I remember seeing an interview with her where she talked about getting rid of all her "spooky", "demonic" art. You can still buy her Enchanted Oracle though so I'm not sure if she tried to have it taken off the shelves.

On the subject of Doreen Virtue, I'm tempted to buy a couple of her decks now in case she decides to tell her followers to destroy them. I'm not really a fan (actually I think she's a fraud) but I have been tempted by the mermaid and unicorn decks. (I have the goddess cards, I'm scared of them, not because of the imagery, but every time I use them they are incredibly blunt and kick my ass).