What is a Tarot "Grandmaster"?

Grizabella

For some reason, to say one has reached the status of "grandmaster" conjures up the idea that they've reached the place where nothing else is left to be learned. They've reached the ultimate pinnacle of knowledge about tarot and there's nothing else beyond that. I don't believe that's anything that can be achieved in one's lifetime. I think even the people on the list would say that there will always be more to be learned about tarot. For that reason, I'd be embarrassed to be given the title, to be perfectly honest. Mind you, I'm in no imminent danger of being elected to such a title-----ahem! :p

Not to take away any of the respect due to those on the list who have been given the title, because without doubt, they've earned a great deal of respect for their work.

Sweet Irish Angel

Hey

can I have a wee title please hehe :)

Netzach

The title Grand Master in this context makes me laugh. It makes me think of chess Grand Masters and I have this picture of two tarot Grand Masters sitting down opposite each other to challenge each other to a Reading.

All round the room, the people fall silent and Grand Master A ponders his cards and makes his first move . . .

"Eight of Pentacles to Queen of Swords 7."

The game has begun.

Sophie

Netzach said:
The game has begun.
And eight months later, some bright spark wakes up the snoring room, with a question:

"so, who's going to win the Grand National then?"

:D

euripides

Netzach said:
The title Grand Master in this context makes me laugh. It makes me think of chess Grand Masters and I have this picture of two tarot Grand Masters sitting down opposite each other to challenge each other to a Reading.

All round the room, the people fall silent and Grand Master A ponders his cards and makes his first move . . .

"Eight of Pentacles to Queen of Swords 7."

The game has begun.

*chortle* oh that's so funny....

euripides

DH was just at a meeting where they were talking about standards in the outdoor education sector, and some official research group who get paid large amounts to do so, came up with statistics about how much admin time versus field time their trainers do. The thing is, these stats were on -respondents- to some email and they included -single' responses in one field (horseriding instructors if I rememer rightly) and stats based on ten responses in another (out of the entire national industry.) TEN responses. Like, in a university, you'd be laughed at for calling that any kind of sample.

It makes you wonder about the quality of research that governments and industry make their decisions on.

Another argument against regulation.

HearthCricket

Lyric said:
For some reason, to say one has reached the status of "grandmaster" conjures up the idea that they've reached the place where nothing else is left to be learned. They've reached the ultimate pinnacle of knowledge about tarot and there's nothing else beyond that. I don't believe that's anything that can be achieved in one's lifetime.

I agree. Your comment makes a very good point. Grand+Master of any sort of society or club is usually the top and the farthest one can exceed and in this scenario it can be taken quite incorrectly, no matter how well meant it may have been in origins.

starrystarrynight

The only thing I'm Grandmaster of is...my domain...

And, believe me, these days I'm really a grand master! :D

Lillie

Sweet Irish Angel said:
can I have a wee title please hehe :)

OK.

I dub you 'The Grand Mistress of the Order of the Mystical Unicorn of Tara'

Hows that?

Gayla

Me too Lillie..please!! :) I want a grand mistress title....:D

Hey, me should suggest they change the 'citizen' and 'resident' titles on the forum to something really cool...like 'Grand Master/Mistress of the Reading Exchange Thread'...or 'Superior Posting General'...or "Master Thread Starter" :) heehee..that would be funny.