Feelings after unpacking your deck?

Libra 58

You have just ordered a new or many new decks and now the waiting is just boring.
The deck arrive and you are more than eager to see the cards, so you just sit down at the nearest place and start too look through the deck.
You like what you see, you are happy that you finally are the owner of a new deck or several beautiful decks, you put the deck back in it's box. You maybe put the box away or leave it on the table....but:
What are your feelings at that moment after this? Are you happy? Sad that it wasn't more than that? Away to order more decks or what?

For me it's a mix between happiness and sadness. Happy that I got the deck finally but also sad because I just can't be happy with that one deck at the moment and really enjoy it. Instead I want more decks and more and more....

Grizabella

That used to happen to me more when I first started using the cards, when I wasn't knowledgeable about what kind of decks would work best for me. Now I'm more able to judge whether or not it's likely to be a deck I'll use a lot. Also, if I'm given a deck I don't really hit it off with, if I put it away for awhile, then chances are down the line I'll feel differently and get more out of it. I have decks that I couldn't connect with for up to a matter of years and then suddenly the light bulb moment occurs and I'm able to read with them.

page of wands

You have just ordered a new or many new decks and now the waiting is just boring.
The deck arrive and you are more than eager to see the cards, so you just sit down at the nearest place and start too look through the deck.
You like what you see, you are happy that you finally are the owner of a new deck or several beautiful decks, you put the deck back in it's box. You maybe put the box away or leave it on the table....but:
What are your feelings at that moment after this? Are you happy? Sad that it wasn't more than that? Away to order more decks or what?

For me it's a mix between happiness and sadness. Happy that I got the deck finally but also sad because I just can't be happy with that one deck at the moment and really enjoy it. Instead I want more decks and more and more....

i understand that feeling. i have felt that way with other things, not just decks. but i have only 2 decks. i wouldn't want to put them away! i would want to start using them obsessively.

JadePixie

I get mad at myself for not using the decks I have, yet I still want more. I'm trying to curb this, I don't want to accumulate endless amounts of decks that I won't use, despite how pretty they are.

Nemia

There were rare cases when looking at a deck, I had the gloomy-doomy feeling that I won't be able to work with it over time, and that's quite a let-down. I have learnt that it's possible to discover later on that the deck is perfectly fine, I just have to work with it, but the initial disappointment is sharp because my wait for mail is long (often up to 3 weeks or more), and often, I hesitate for months before I order something.

But usually, I'm very happy and excited. I love the whole ritual of absorbing a new deck into my collection. I try to keep the new deck on my table, put up some cards on the frame I made, and if there are cards that remind me of other decks, I take them out and look at them.

Even when I put the new deck away, I have this dragon-feeling of pleasure in my hoard.

I am sad, though, that the wait is over, because I really enjoy the feeling of anticipation.

In our tiny village, with neither street names nor house numbers, each family has a mail box in the village secretary's building, and that's where I have to go when I want to get the mail. If I have a parcel, the post lady puts a piece of paper in the mail box, and then I have to catch her. Her working hours: one hour a day four days a week. As opposed to other post ladies in villages where I lived, this one doesn't take the mail home and lets people come in the evening to distribute parcels in her living room.

So catching a parcel is a real and wonderful business to me, and the feeling of elation when I walk home with my catch in hand is wonderful! Most of the decks I order really justify this excitement - Tabula Mundi and Trionfi della Luna and many others were just SO exciting to open!

gregory

Even when I put the new deck away, I have this dragon-feeling of pleasure in my hoard.

I am sad, though, that the wait is over, because I really enjoy the feeling of anticipation.
This. But what next - what usually happens is that I take out other decks to compare and it expands into a huge messy session !

Barleywine

Since I'm so careful about my deck purchases these days, the feeling I usually have is "satisfaction," along with anticipation about using the deck in its first reading. When I started actively buying decks again (especially the "art" decks), I admired them but immediately knew I wouldn't be reading with them, so into the drawer they went. I only pull them out now when someone posts with them in Your Readings and I want to comment. I'm not dissatisfied with them, just not very inspired. It's what caused me to become really choosy.

nisaba

...You maybe put the box away or leave it on the table....but:
What are your feelings at that moment after this?

It's a wordless feeling of supreme peace and ineffable bliss. If life doesn't get in the way, it can last for days'n'days.

EmpyreanKnight

If it is a deck that I have longed for for quite some time and it meets (or even exceeds) my expectations - I experience pure, unadulterated euphoria, fawning over it with a wide smile and a strong desire to work with it at once. There is quite nothing like it, and purely based on the amount of joy elicited per peso spent, the returns are pretty high.

On the other hand, it rarely happens but if I'm disappointed by a deck, I just feel a slow, silent resignation while making a promise to perhaps explore it once more when I'm in a more open mood. This is somewhat similar to what I feel when I "come down" from the highs of a particularly ebullient dose of retail therapy.

Mythtaken

I love this image, so well expressed.

I'm a newbie, so I've been trying to explore which kinds of decks I prefer. My first deck was bought for the art, not the fact that it was a tarot deck (Ceccoli), and honestly, I had a hard time understanding what connections there might be between the images and the more traditional interpretations. Started out baffled, and things have only gotten more interesting from there. (Don't use that deck much, LOL! ) There have been a few that just didn't inspire any part of my imagination, so I mostly think of those as hints about the sort of decks I prefer.