Stumped Developing a Tarot Incense

MacMorrighan

So, I am trying to gather together some ideas for a granular divination incense explicitly to cleanse and to read my tarot cards. However, i am running into some ritual writer's block. Any ideas? It'll probably contain some white sandalwood (to overcome obstacles and it's mercurial nature) just a TOUCH of rue, only because rue EO is, ugh....."potent". (Why does rue fragrance oil smell so good--it's used in candles--but, the essential oil is so revolting by comparison?)

Perhaps it would help me focus just a bit more to write a list of all the things that I want this incense to accomplish! :) That's how I often go about it... The general theme for this incense is to bot cleanse my deck and to assist my readings at the same time. Considering it's for tarot, it'l probably be pretty Mercurial. >.<

Tigerangel

Have never made incense, so don't really know what to recommend, guess what ever smells good for you and has the qualities your going for.

I use Dragons blood for cleansing my decks and nearly everything really, mediation, bath time, and when reading and just basic general use as I love the smell of it so much, my shadowscapes smells completely of Dragons blood now :) making them have a lasting smell on them as I like to take them out the box/bag and smell the Dragons blood, my other half says that you stinking up your cards again when I do my card cleansing with them lol.

McFaire

I use Dragons blood for cleansing my decks and nearly everything really, mediation, bath time, and when reading and just basic general use as I love the smell of it so much

How would you describe the fragrance?

Tigerangel

How would you describe the fragrance?

That's a hard question lol, I'm not sure how to describe it except for the fact I like it, it's sort of sweet smelling and also reminds me of some bath products and patchouli, it comes from the Dragons blood tree/plant which there is a large variety of different species and depending on the exact variety it came from, the smell can vary I only buy Stamford incense as its the only ones I like the quality and smell of, the three I use frequently are jasmin and patchouli aswell, but dragon's blood is my top choice, in old posts about if I remember right there was alot of people who found the smell to strong for them..

I also use powered dragons blood to make red ink in runework, I even used it in a protective house wash in my mop bucket aswell.

Marirowana

I like to use a mix with (some, or all):
-Cinnamon (powder)
-Orange essential oil
-Frankinsence
-Lavender (dried or ess. oil)
-Lemongrass (dried)
-Sage (dried, for cleansing)

crush everything together in a bowl, and store in a jar. Put some of the mix in top of a burning charcoal et voilá :) Or how do you make incense?
Sometimes I also add essential oils from juniperus, peppermint (clear mind) or cederwood (grounding). All to your own taste.

Tanga

HUH I haven't made incense in ages... it's all just sitting there under the bed (the ingredients) and I was considering giving it away. :)

Still - the question has me engaged and I will go away and look under the bed...
Then return with an answer. :)

Incense making theory:
Blend ratio of - Base notes 3: mid notes 2/1: Top notes 1

Base notes are gums and resins. Deep dusky and musky, and lingering a long while.
Mid notes are roots, bark and herbs. Woody and greenish lingering a short while.
Top notes are twigs, leaves and flowers - light and floral or grassy, scent dissipates quickly.

Tanga

OK - rather annoyingly I can't get to the underside of that particular bed right now.

Anyways -
Suggested incense I might attempt to make (bearing in mind - these are scents that I like.
At the end of the day, you must like the scent you create IMO):

BASE note - Copal or Colophany resin. Both governed by the Sun, for purification.
MID note - Rowan or Laurel/Bay leaf (crushed leaves or sticks) governed by the Sun. For protection and psychic power.
TOP note - Orange essential oil, governed by the Sun. For divination (and money if you're reading professionally). Orange is uplifting - happy making too.
and Lavender essential oil, governed by Mercury. For love, happiness and peace.

:)

(I'm tempted to jam a little Onion in there - governed by Mars. For professy).

Calcifer

Hmmm, I make a wonderful divination incense, more or less following Tanga's guidelines...
Base note: Black Copal
Mid Note: Labdanum
Top Note: Greek Monastery Rose
If it is of any help, I acquire all of my ingredients from "Scents of Earth"

Michael

Tanga

Hmmm, I make a wonderful divination incense, more or less following Tanga's guidelines...
Base note: Black Copal
Mid Note: Labdanum
Top Note: Greek Monastery Rose
If it is of any help, I acquire all of my ingredients from "Scents of Earth"

Michael

"Greek Monastery Rose" sounds wonderful! Such an evocative name. :)

I can't tell you where I got my stuff from...
Some from esoteric shops in person... some from Baldwins, which is a natural herb shop in the UK which has an on-line service.

I attended a one-day incense making workshop at some-point...at my favourite esoteric bookshop in the heart of London - Treadwells books.
And so - when I'm not getting planetary associations and metaphysical uses out of the notes I made from that course (or some other that I did there) - I'll mostly use good old Scott Cunninghams 'Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs'
(Also - I am a trained clinical Aromatherapist - though I don't practice anymore).

SeaKraken

Cleansing Incense

Lavender and peppermint are lovely together and are great for focusing and cleansing. I use this combination in practically everything and even combine lavender buds and peppermint leaves for an invigorating tea that helps when ruminating on something.