The Path of The Emperor

Grigori

Aeon418 said:
You can't move the Hebrew letters, they are fixed to the individual paths. Heh is the 15th path, Tzaddi the 28th. The Tarot cards are placed on the paths and thus correspond with that particular paths letter.

But you can move the location of the paths.

MikeTheAltarboy

Definitely true. I've actually wondered - and I'm a GD man all the way! - why the Kircher tree is the one they used? In some ways, it has seemed to my very *minor* musings that the Luria tree might be more telling.

Grigori

MikeTheAltarboy said:
In some ways, it has seemed to my very *minor* musings that the Luria tree might be more telling.

I've been studying Stephen Skinners Magician's Tables and he makes the same point, quite convincingly, based around a desire for the three mother letters to occupy the horizontal paths.

I've not really studied the location of the paths in any real detail as yet, but thus far I find the selections for the middle pillar very suitable, and am also quite happy to see Daleth running between Binah and Chokmah. The remainder I've not developed an opinion.

Aeon418

similia said:
That's true, but then you are no longer playing the same rules that govern the Thoth tarot. You'll have to start again from scratch.

Grigori

Aeon418 said:
That's true, but then you are no longer playing the same rules that govern the Thoth tarot. You'll have to start again from scratch.

Yeppers. I was just being flippant really :D

Dr Benway

the h and tz (riddle) is AThBSh, change all the cards in this way, with path 1 moon, path 2 sun (note the sun and moon here is common to alchemy) path 3 aeon (nuit + hadit / ida + pingala / shiva + shakti) path 4 universe.
notice the lower part of the tree, part of the zodiac runs clockwise gemini
through to scorpio.

Aeon418

As an addendum to my previous thoughts it might be worth considering that the Emperor on the 28th path also represents the method by which we impregnate (Aries) our subconscious (Yesod) with our desires (Netzach). The method of Magick.

The 28th path is a path of intense energy, the rousing and control of Kundalini. The upward flow of energy along the 28th path is mystical via the discipline of Raja Yoga (Raja = Royal), the downward flow is magical.

Liber AL 2:26
26. I am the secret Serpent coiled about to spring: in my coiling there is joy. If I lift up my head, I and my Nuit are one. If I droop down mine head, and shoot forth venom, then is rapture of the earth, and I and the earth are one.

Aeon418

The switch of the Star and Emperor has other implications not directly related to the Emperor. With the Star now on the 15th path it completes the symbolism of the Sun behind the Son. All the paths that lead into Tiphareth from the supernal triad now contain Sirius symbolism.

The Star literally is Sirius the Dog Star. The full title of Atu II is The Priestess of the Silver Star. The actual star itself can be found in the 19* degree of the constellation of Gemini, the Lovers.
S.'.S.'. - One Star in Sight.

Eruditus

Etymological Nature of the Switch

Hello everyone,

I'm probably more of a neophyte than Neophyte, who seems to really know what he's doing (everyone up here seems to know what he or she is doing).

So, I'm going to do the typically irritating newbie thing to do: throw in my two cents' worth.

Mr. Crowley, almost as an afterthought, gives us the etymological lineage of the Hebrew letter Tzaddi. It's literal meaning (fishhook) is, I believe, less important than the etymological one.

He relates the "tz" dipthong to all the imperial words for male dominion that the world has. Ceasar. Czar. Tzar. Sire. Sir. All of these come from Tzaddi, according to Mr. Crowley, and you know what? I am VERY inclined to believe him, not just because he forgot more about magic at age twelve than I'll probably ever learn in my lifetime, but because I know how far languages can migrate across this globe. English is strewn with archaic Sanskrit forms, forms that traveled all the way to Germany to Britain and finally to America, all courtesy of the Indian subcontinent. So, I think the etymological link between Tzaddi and the Emperor is important.

Also, I've noticed a few seemingly basic, amateurish errors in a number of otherwise excellent books on the Thoth Tarot. The thought's crossed my mind that the authors (this would include Mr. Crowley) were irritating (I meant to write "imitating" here, and now on an edit I am deciding to allow this Freudian slip to stay, if for no other reason than it illustrates my point that intentional mistakes draw one towards enlightenment) Eliphas Levi--changing small details here and there to protect the integrity of their vows. If the aspirant to knowledge is canny enough, he'll root out and correct the discrepancy.

Either way, I believe the contradictions or errors are intentional. Whether or not they're put there to enlighten or befuddle, I still don't know. Then again, on further thought, I suppose they could be mistakes. After all, these guys are still humans.

When I come across "errors" such as this one in my studies, I'm inclined to just shrug my shoulders, and move on. That's probably because I'm new, and don't want to waste time splitting hairs. Later, when I'm at you guys' level, I'll worry about it more.

By the way, can anyone recommend good books on the Qabala?

ravenest

Eruditus said:
Hello everyone,

I'm probably more of a neophyte than Neophyte, who seems to really know what he's doing (everyone up here seems to know what he or she is doing).

So, I'm going to do the typically irritating newbie thing to do: throw in my two cents' worth.

No, it's a fresh breeze (and one that isnt tooooo insane ;) )

Eruditus said:
Also, I've noticed a few seemingly basic, amateurish errors in a number of otherwise excellent books on the Thoth Tarot. The thought's crossed my mind that the authors (this would include Mr. Crowley) were irritating (I meant to write "imitating" here, and now on an edit I am deciding to allow this Freudian slip to stay, if for no other reason than it illustrates my point that intentional mistakes draw one towards enlightenment) Eliphas Levi--changing small details here and there to protect the integrity of their vows. If the aspirant to knowledge is canny enough, he'll root out and correct the discrepancy.

Either way, I believe the contradictions or errors are intentional. Whether or not they're put there to enlighten or befuddle, I still don't know.

Ah yes ... what a great excuse ... mistake, me? Oh no I was just protecting the sanctity of my vows. :laugh: Reminds me of words of advice from the head of a magical organisation here in OZ; "if someone asks you a complex magical question you can't answer, tell 'em it's a mystery." ;) Often i find I write about something I'm not supposed to, I find 99% of the time one can word it differently or lead along to the obvious conclusion for someone that has put in a bit of work and study. That's a lot better than the semi-smarmy 'Uncle Thero', "As initiates of the IV degree OTO are well aware" or the fully smarmy Waite-a git (HA! I did it, I meant to write Waite-a-bit - for A.E, Wait, but I'll let that one stand :laugh:) 'I know, but I will not tell the likes of you.'

Lots of times, I believe commentary authors are just being repetative, armchair occultists. I dont know how many times I have seen that wrong planetary karmea being repoduced, in books and in ritual, to me, evidence that it has not actually been worked with or analysed by the person in question.

of course it is always difficult when one finds one of these glitches - is it a mistake, or am I just judging it from my own incorrect and inexperienced evaluation?

PS. I just started rereading (since 20 years ago) Levis Theory and Practice etc. Gawd he takes a thrashing from the editor at the begining! Then as I worked through I have come to a new conclusion .... Levi is as mad as cut black snake! (But I guess , back in those days ...?)

Also, somewhere, AC talks about his difficulty of communication and why his writings end up the way they do; boiling over with enthusiasm, assuming the reader already knows and he is trying to present the info in a new and interesting form .... I think the passage is somewhere in 'Magick Without Tears' - Can't remeber the name of the chapter (Aeon418 probably does)