TOADies Anonymous.

Linfang

It reminded me a lot of what Chogyam Trungpa had to say about "Spiritual Materialism". ...

Wow CharlotteK, that is so spot on, thanks for posting. I know that I should join you here, but I cannot stop compensating everyday frustration with buying new decks.

Booklioness

Just what I needed to read right now, thank you both. Something to ponder.

I'm really really struggling not to order the deck currently at the top of my wish list.

Hold fast, friends. Try to think about the buyers remorse you'll have after.

Scarlet Woodland

Time to see if I'm really a Toadie graduate :D

Have ordered my three pre-planned decks now they've all been out for a while and am still reserving judgement on the fourth. Will give it a couple months and see if I really "need" it. Fingers crossed this won't send me down the rabbit hole again. Feeling good though as have known for a year plus that I definitely wanted the ones I've bought. Have also staggered them to arrive over three weeks.

Am also about to put in a last BPAL order for a good long while. Planning for no frivolous spending till... July I think? Here's hoping I don't go bonkers.

Booklioness

I have found this helps: since I work on a computer all day, I leave a tab open that has a full flip through of a deck I'm wanting. That way, whenever I want I can play it to see all the cards before me. As each day goes by, I can then see if the "want" fades... or if logic takes over and says 'You really don't need that deck'. If I'm still as passionate about it after a given set of days, I'll then think about it more. It's weird, I know, but it helps to have it there open to see the cards if/when I want to.

vie

I have found this helps: since I work on a computer all day, I leave a tab open that has a full flip through of a deck I'm wanting. That way, whenever I want I can play it to see all the cards before me. As each day goes by, I can then see if the "want" fades... or if logic takes over and says 'You really don't need that deck'. If I'm still as passionate about it after a given set of days, I'll then think about it more. It's weird, I know, but it helps to have it there open to see the cards if/when I want to.

What a fab idea. I'm going to try it with the deck I'm lusting after at the moment, see if that and thinking of buyers remorse will keep me from hitting the buy button.

DDwarks

Smug face here still hasn't bought any new decks :D Ha!
I will say however that I thought it'd been longer since I last posted ....hmm...
*Obviously* something wrong with AT's timing...right?

And im still on the wagon :)
I clicked on a deck link yesterday and thought Straight away "ooh pretty!" but i didnt buy it and have no intention to.
Ive got enough decks to learn and enjoy as it is.
Hopefully im cured rather than on remission ...
Still waiting for 2 kickstarters to manifest, one of which I dont actually want anymore but i paid for it now so ill just have to suck it up :(
Life's good :)

csmith0406

Well I failed my TOADie pledge. I was browsing Ebay (fail) late at night (fail) when I impulsively made a "Best Offer". I immediately regretted it and hoped the Seller wouldn't accept or would counter-offer. The seller accepted right away. So not only do I have the deck but I know I offered too high. Then I bought another indie deck I'd been eying for awhile, not sure why! Guess I figured in for a penny in for a pound.

Well nothing for it except get right back on the wagon. :sigh:

csmith0406

Lol! Ok. If I fail, I'll give away my brand new Tabula Mundi and pay worldwide postage on it 😜

Clearly I need a penalty as well (forget who mentioned it) so starting now, if I fail my 3 months no buying new decks pledge, I have to give away my Kitty Kahane deck. Embargo lifts August 1st. Ack! That is pretty motivating. :bugeyed:

I think trading is OK, because it's an exchange of decks and overall I'm not acquiring MORE decks. Just for the record.:angel: