Robin Wood - Death 13

CelticGirl

I think that for a lot of people, the first card they hear about in the tarot deck is death, and how it doesn't necessarily mean actual death, but the end of one thing and the start of something else.

I really like this card in the Robin Wood deck. I love the colors and I also feel that it is not a "threatening" looking as a lot of other decks. As I was sitting here trying to get this post started and I was glancing at this card, I saw that the figure was holding a staff of some sort, but once it went up over his shoulder I couldn't figure out what it was.... it looked like some metal pole with holes. Then I started looking at the big white rose behind the figure and was wondering what the black behind it was... and then it dawned on me that the figure is holding a black flag with a white rose on it. How on earth had I never noticed that it was a flag???!

I tell you what, these study groups really have me looking and thinking!! :D

*Edit to add that I love the crimson color of the robe in this card, though I don't have the Robin Wood book, but I know that crimson is associated with rebirth and starting new, so I would imagine that is why she used this beautiful color!

CandyApple

This is one of my all time favorite death cards. For so me reason I have to like the Death Card before I get a deck. Don't know why. LOL

I love the colors she has chosen. The Bright red of the cloak takes awy some to the "negative" feelings of this card. At least to me. I notice the butterfly in the background. In some mythology the butterfly is a messanger. So This card is a card of messages.

The trees in the background look like birtch to me. The birtch tree is the first letter in the Celtic Alphebet called Ogham (I mis-spelled that I bet).

Beithe
1. The first letter of the Ogham tree alphabet, corresponding to the letter B and meaning "birch."

The graceful, white-stemmed birch with its beautiful green leaves represents the Otherworld.... Beithe has always been regarded as an indicator of good fortune, luck, and change.

CelticGirl

Oooh, I never even thought about associating this card with the Ogham (pronounced "OH-yam") alphabet! (Yes, you spelled it right). The letter Beth (I have always called it Beth, but I know the spellings vary) is associated with new beginnings, changes and purification.

As well as the butterfly.... she starts off as a catapillar and turns into a beautiful butterfly. I never knew they were associated as messengers. You have shed some new light for me today! :)

CandyApple

Yay! I help good! *snickers*

Rhiamon

yes, I agree, this is my all time favorite death card. Butterflies also stand for transformation, the end of one cycle into a new (death)...I'll check my book and see what else she has to say about it..hehe

also you guys, this is so much fun! *hug*

CelticGirl

Rhiamon said:
yes, I agree, this is my all time favorite death card. Butterflies also stand for transformation, the end of one cycle into a new (death)...I'll check my book and see what else she has to say about it..hehe

also you guys, this is so much fun! *hug*

Ah yes....transformation....that was the word I was thinking of but couldn't spit out. LOL. This IS fun!! :D

Rhiamon

ok, his cloak is supposed to be the color of heart's blood because that is where change affects you usually. the white rose stands for freedom and rebirth, the black behind it stands for mystery and the unknown (as in not knowing where this change will take you)....flagpole is white for purity of heart....and did you notice there are 13 nails on the flagpole? Cool beans, eh?

CandyApple

I have got to get this book! LOL...it sounds like there is so much information in there. LOL I love the imagery she puts into the cards.

CelticGirl

Very cool! Thanks for looking that up for us! When I read about Ostara / Spring Equinox, they always say that crimson is a corresponding color for rebirth and new beginnings which I would always think is weird because for Spring I only imagine pastels.... but I think my idea of the color crimson, that I have learned to accept (lol) goes hand in hand with this card, even if that's not quite what Robin Wood intended.... so it works for me! :D

HudsonGray

She also put some rocks on the path to show that it may not all be smooth sailing, taking that other road (Death blocks the current path). The white rose stands for freedom, also. We're free to choose how and where we go once our main path has been blocked from us.

The free thinking meditation I did on this card turned out great, I got a lot of very funny visuals.