Robin Wood Majors Suit Associations

shiresun

I've been working with the Robin Wood deck now (PDR) since April. As I learn about the cards, and approaches to reading, I have begun to see that the Majors are associated with the suits and/or the elements by many (maybe all?) readers. While working on a project regarding this actual topic, I tried to find in Robin Wood's book where she might mention, as a whole, what Major Arcana cards are associated with which of the four Suits. I see where she clearly states which suits are associated with specific elements, but not what Majors are associated in the same way.

Can anyone tell me if they have found this information for Robin's book anywhere? I know that there are debates about how the suits are associated with the Elements in various traditions. Since I'm working with Robin's deck, I wanted to know how she associated the Majors, and hoped to find this information in her book, but have not been successful.

Thank you,

Shire

HudsonGray

You know that you can email her directly and ask, right? Her website has a contact page. Here --
http://www.robinwood.com/Catalog/Contact.html

I've met her at several science fiction conventions and SCA events, she's a very easy person to talk to. I'm sure she'd email you back about any question you may have about her deck.

shiresun

HudsonGray said:
You know that you can email her directly and ask, right? Her website has a contact page. Here --
http://www.robinwood.com/Catalog/Contact.html

I've met her at several science fiction conventions and SCA events, she's a very easy person to talk to. I'm sure she'd email you back about any question you may have about her deck.

Thank you HudsonGray! I had not thought of that. I will head over and do just that.

Shire

shiresun

I contacted Robin, and happily she wrote back.

This was her response:

"I don't think of the cards in the Major Arcana as being associated with any suit. They are, for all intents and purposes, their own suit. Except that, really, each one stands alone, as the crystallization of a concept. An archetype, if you will.

In my tradition, anyway, the four suits are associated with the four elements. (Earth, Air, Fire, and Water.) If the Majors are associated with anything, they are all associated with Spirit.

But, although I drew the deck, and put a fair amount of my thoughts and so on into it, the one you are holding in your hands is *your* deck.

What's really important are the associations that *you* attribute to each of the cards."

This really adds another dimension for my own study! :)