Putting together a proposal for publisher?

tarotmama

Hi all! I have (what I think is) a really brilliant idea for a deck. I've done some conceptual art for it, etc., etc. I could theoretically put together a proposal for a publisher at this point.

I'm just wondering if it's "safe" to do? My idea is a little different and I wouldn't want to have my proposal rejected only to see someone else come out with a similar deck with the same publisher... know what I mean? I've heard of that happening in the book world.

On the other hand, it'd be nice to uh... get paid to do something tarot-related, you know? Working on the Lenormand deck has been a mixed bag and figuring out the logistics of carrying it to print has been mind-boggling. I don't think the Lenormand is a good candidate for a big publishing house anyway, but my tarot deck idea is really good... and knowing it would eventually see the light of day would totally make all the effort worthwhile.

Thoughts?

AJ

Hay House seems to be taking on unusual decks lately and there are submission guidelines on most of the publishers websites. Sometimes you can even do it by email.

I personally think you get a better response with hard copy submissions.
Best wishes on your journey!

tarotmama

Yeah, I've looked up the submission guidelines of some different publishers already. Most want a few majors, a few court and pips first. Which is no problem. I'm going to try to raise some funds to get a wacom tablet -- which I think would make it sooooooooo much easier to finish the cards -- which are pen and watercolor at this point.

I really *want* to shop for a publisher first, but I don't want to get ripped off or have my idea stolen.

Does that even happen in the tarot world? Maybe I'm just being paranoid?

Chronata

I wouldn't worry TOO much about the idea being stolen. Ideas are weird winsome things.
And you'd be surprised how many people out there have the same idea you do... it's so hard to say "Hey that was my idea first!"!

The good thing is that you are working to make your idea Happen, and that's awesome!

I wish you good luck! You are a lot braver than me!

Submitting to publishers makes me want to hurl...and then hide!

As it turns out, none of my designs ever fit into their guidelines anyway.

Curtis Penfold

AJ said:
Hay House seems to be taking on unusual decks lately and there are submission guidelines on most of the publishers websites. Sometimes you can even do it by email.

I personally think you get a better response with hard copy submissions.
Best wishes on your journey!

Checked up Hay House. Their submission guidelines say you need an agent. And they're not accepting card decks anyway. Too bad :(

AJ

I think some of our members have been published by Hay House, maybe they'll speak up. And agents are just people, doing a job...you might need one!

When I lived in Portland Oregon I belonged to a big writers group and once a years there was a ...omm, like a convention, but not :) I can't remember what they were called, but many agents were there and for $25.00 you got 1/2 hour of their time and they'd read your synopsis and give you pointers, and if they were interested they let you know and then you had an agent! Fascinating process! We had the list of agents 3 or 4 months ahead and could sign up with the ones that specialized on our genre.

Are you going to need a book to explain your deck or is it a clone?

I see lots of links here to Deviant Art, is there a forum there? You might be able to pick artist brains easier then readers brains :)

tarotmama

AJ said:
Are you going to need a book to explain your deck or is it a clone?

I see lots of links here to Deviant Art, is there a forum there? You might be able to pick artist brains easier then readers brains :)

Hmmm. Deviant Art is scary! I'm really not an *artist artist* you know.

I don't think I'll need a book. I'm not really at that point yet. Yes, a clone of sorts.

I'm dreaming about attending Readers Studio with some samples of the cards... maybe that'll stir some interest. I'm not ready to find an agent (and probably couldn't afford one anyway).

I guess I'll just keep moving forward with my project on my own then. I'd probably retain the most creative control that way anyway. :)

Thanks for the input and support everyone!! XO

AJ

agents work on commission.

Artist's studio...I dream of it. I do hope you can go! There are people there who know people :)

irmata

tarotmama said:
Hmmm. Deviant Art is scary! I'm really not an *artist artist* you know.
Don't worry - Deviant Art isn't scary :) There are artists of every level there, from 10-year old anime fans to professional fantasy artists.

Concept Art though - THAT'S the scary *artist artist* place ::grin::

Good luck with your deck idea. I can't wait to hear more about it and seem some samples one day!