The Book of the Law Study Group 3.3

Always Wondering

I've been wondering about "they" for a long time. "They" as thoughts makes sense to me. Yet, I think an argument can be made that "they' refer to peoples also. I have a harder time with this.

On one hand Crowley seems to despise the Christian countries involved in the Great War. On the other hand he thought the whole BotL should be taken literally.

We got straight to the dualism I guess. But it seems pretty crucial that I understand the war engine, to understand Chapter Three. Any help is appreciated.

AW

Grigori

Not just war and vengeance, but War and Vengeance, like titles. Again can think of The Tower and Crowley's alternate name for it, War. Also I wonder about the word "hardly" which can mean something like "forcefully" or the very different "barely".

I've also been thinking about the difference between the Christian 'trinity' and that of the BoL. There seems a type of inversion to me, the vengeful Jehovah moderated by a loving personified Christ, which seems the opposite of the loving Nuit, but the personified vengeful Ra Hoor Khuit.

I was reading Low Magick last night and Duquette's story of discovering the invocation of Ganesha as his ideal method for "falling in love with/identifying completely with" deity, and using that as the basis for ritual. I can't imagine someone developing that sort of personal relationship with Ra Hoor Khuit. An angry, warrior, bird headed god. The Christian version is much more understandable to me, I can see how someone could relate to Christ, even despite rejecting other aspects of the Christian religion. Which leads me to wonder, why such an impersonal "personified" deity? He seems much more a representation of the Aeon, than someone you'd want to have a chat to.

TarotCraft

I tend to think the entire BoL refers to an inner process. It's not a reference to anything external.

"I am a God of War and Vengeance and I shall deal hardly with them."

I think it's talking about the Martial/Geburah destruction of the ego and a necessary restriction and limitation of energy leading to discpline and balance.

Grigori

I wonder about Vengeance. I'm quite comfortable with the idea of War, I can fit it into my understand of Thelema and also find it applicable and useful for me. But Vengeance seems very backwards facing, retribution for something from the past that was not dealt with back then, seems a distractions from what you should be doing now. How does vengeance help me now?

TarotCraft

'The Law Is For All' references the Greek god of Vengeance, Alastor.

"ALASTOR was the daimon (spirit) of family blood feuds and the inflicton of vengeance upon a new generation for the crimes of their fathers. He was related to the Erinyes, the avengers of murder, although the retaliation which Alastor inspired was directed against the murderer's family rather than against the murderer himself. " http://www.theoi.com/Daimon/Alastor.html

In this context, perhaps we are paying for the sins of the society that created us - the old Aeon - and we need to take our revenge in the form of destroying it in our own psyches.

Aeon418

Grigori said:
I've also been thinking about the difference between the Christian 'trinity' and that of the BoL. There seems a type of inversion to me, the vengeful Jehovah moderated by a loving personified Christ, which seems the opposite of the loving Nuit, but the personified vengeful Ra Hoor Khuit.
How much of the bible have you read, Grigori? Comparing RHK to Jehovah is bizarre. They are not even close. RHK pales in comparison to the pure horror of Jehovah.

Loving Christ? Well if you cherry-pick the gospels you might find be able to patch together a loving Christ. Just sweep the other stuff under the carpet. Most people do. ;)
Grigori said:
Which leads me to wonder, why such an impersonal "personified" deity? He seems much more a representation of the Aeon, than someone you'd want to have a chat to.
Have you tried having a chat? He's a nice bloke once you get to know him. ;)

War (Atu XVI)

If you're hiding within your little safe and cosy Tower of self, then RHK is here to burst your bubble and break down your walls. Whether you perceive this as Liberation or Destruction all depends on how much you cling to your Tower.

Vengeance (Atu VIII)

Are you out of balance? Not in line with your Will? RHK is here to guide you back towards Tiphareth. But if you insist on following your petty wants you inevitably tip the scales of Karma. The corrective counter weight is Geburah. Does this seem harsh? Is it unfair? Well too bad. Thou hast no right but to do thy Will.
Mr Want thinks he's an exceptional case. He doesn't have to align himself with the Universal order (Will), because he can do what he wants, right?
Wrong! And so he points his accusing finger at RHK and screams Tyrant! Jehovah! Just like petulant brats do in supermarket checkout lines when their wants are denied. ;)

But when the ego stops resisting, something happens.
Liber Tzaddi

15. I have hidden myself beneath a mask: I am a black and terrible God.
16. With courage conquering fear shall ye approach me: ye shall lay down your heads upon mine altar, expecting the sweep of the sword.
17. But the first kiss of love shall be radiant on your lips; and all my darkness and terror shall turn to light and joy.
18. Only those who fear shall fail. Those who have bent their backs to the yoke of slavery until they can no longer stand upright; them will I despise.
Everyone has seen the movie, Rocky. Well you are both Rocky and Apollo Creed in the fight at the end of the movie. Apollo Creed is your lower self with all of it's wants. He's dancing around the ring, winding up a knockout punch. "He's going down. He's going down!"
In your corner your old trainer, Mickey, aka RHK, is yelling at you. "Get up! Fight!"
It would be so easy to lay down on that canvas...

Grigori

Aeon418 said:
How much of the bible have you read, Grigori? Comparing RHK to Jehovah is bizarre. They are not even close. RHK pales in comparison to the pure horror of Jehovah.

:laugh: Most of it, some bits repeatedly, though I didn't mean to draw a direct parallel between RHK and YHVH, more to comment on the difference of Thelema presenting a hard and difficult personified god, and Christianity's presentation of the soft aspect of their trinity as the personified god who is the savior from the angry primary deity. There seems an inversion of the pattern there to me.

Aeon418

Grigori said:
:laugh: Most of it, some bits repeatedly, though I didn't mean to draw a direct parallel between RHK and YHVH, more to comment on the difference of Thelema presenting a hard and difficult personified god, and Christianity's presentation of the soft aspect of their trinity as the personified god who is the savior from the angry primary deity. There seems an inversion of the pattern there to me.
I'll give you a clue.

If the Aeon of Osiris laid emphasis on the Pillar of Mercy, how do you achieve balance?

On a different note....

RHK and YHVH. You will have a panic attack when we get to III:49. :laugh:

Grigori

I'm thinking a little now also about the difference of understanding of figureheads of various philosophies/religions. I guess I'm used to the idea that Christ was the perfect Christian, Buddha the perfect Buddhist etc.. I'm very comfortable with Crowley not being the perfect Thelemite, at the least not an idealized version of behavior to fit all people, but wonder if the same can be said for the deity's of the BoL?

Where is the line between the realities of the universe (as understood in the BoL) and the recommended social actions of a Thelemite. Perhaps this can be read that you may encounter War and Vengeance, rather than you as a person 'should' embody or aspire to these qualities. If in fact we see them as aspects of RHK that we encounter when "off-path", maybe we are avoiding them (through action) rather than through Osiric suppression (or inaction).

Still thinking out loud :D