9 of Swords As Joy?

LadyV

I recently did a future romance spread. The third card was designated "Joy: How you will socialize and express your love."

I found this a little confusing, since the 9S tends not to be the most positive of cards. First I though, maybe it means I'll be kept up at night with all the excitement. But then I thought, with there being a bed, and swords sometimes a phallic symbol, that this eluded to sex. My only concern is that the woman in bed doesn't look very happy.

Any thoughts?

rwcarter

Swords can be about communication, so maybe the 9S is saying that you'll talk so much that you give the other person a headache?

LadyV

Swords can be about communication, so maybe the 9S is saying that you'll talk so much that you give the other person a headache?

Perhaps. I do talk a lot.

Scarlet Woodland

From the fear angle it could be something like being afraid to express your love etc...

Or you could always end up with an adrenaline junkie and do a lot of skydiving :D

Styx

Hi LadyV !

Just thought I'd chime in because I have a long and not always bad relationship with the dreaded 9/swords. ;-)
If the position was explicitly positive, I would see the 9/swords as intellectual compatibility and challenge. I am a "word" person (I'm completing a PhD in literature, my perception of life is tinged with references to novels and characters) and the 9/swords often comes up in my readings to mean that I will have time focusing solely on an important project. I will be able to complete that story, to take care of the planning of a future project, etc. In a romance reading I would see it as pointing towards an intellectually stimulating and challenging relationship ; it could mean someone who speaks the same language but also someone who won't let you "rest", with whom you will always be rethinking and reconsidering things. I'd say it might tend to isolate you from the world. Both exciting and exhausting, in short.

Elendil

The 9 of Swords can sometimes represent a realisation that our anxieties and fears are largely in our mind, where we have overblown and multiplied them so that we feel oppressed and unable to cope.

Perhaps then, in your reading, the card represents an opportunity (since it fell in a position in your spread concerning joy) to connect with someone with whom you can share your greatest fear(s) and by sharing, diminish them. Perhaps fear is holding you back and you need to face it for what it is and deny its hold over you so that you can find joy in the realisation that you have made mountains out of molehills...

E.

:)

LadyV

Interesting how each of you has a different interpretation. They're all good as far as I'm concerned.

Ace

Years ago, I read for a friend who was a real drama king. He was very depressed but when I read for him (and he had asked, Will I ever be happy?) The cards says he WAS happy now. This reading blew up on me, I was totally wiped out the rest of the evening (I have since learned some techniques that help with that, but at the time I was a pretty recent newbie.)

The reason I bring this up is because maybe you like being dramatic. I am not judging or accusing because I don't really know you, but check for this: do you get a vicarious pleasure out of being miserable? Are you an adrenal freak?

I find the 9 of Swords to be about anxiety, what you are AFRAID will be true, not what is true. Is this a way you are in a romance? All worried about what MAY go wrong?

Please don't take what I say as criticism, just consider the implications of the card in the context of new romance.
barb

LadyV

No criticism at all. I know people who get a thrill from being miserable, but that's not me.

Perhaps the "joy" would come from me discovering that my worries are for nothing and that everything is great.