What Are You Currently Reading?

Eeviee

Currently reading The Open Tarot by Ben-Dov and the Ultimate Guide to the Rider-Wait Tarot by Fiebig.

Miss Divine

Whenever time allows, Complete Guide to Tarot Illuminati and Holistic Tarot.

foolMoon

I have got a few books by LM DuQuette recently.

1. Chicken Qabala (read - a great book & reference for Hebrew Letters, Qabala)
2. My Life with the Spirits (read - an interesting book)

3. The Key to Solomon's Key (now reading)

Grizabella

I just got four or five books. Some of them are to replace ones I've lost in a move that go with some of my "keeper" decks, but there are also a couple--Tarot Beyond the Basics and Cartomancy with the Lenormand and the Tarot---that don't go with my decks.

Right now I'm reading Beyond the Basics and find that it's really very good. I'm enjoying it very much.

A wonderfully generous young man in Asia made me a gift of the Tarot of Ceremonial Magic recently, so I ordered the book that goes with it from one of the Amazon used sellers very inexpensively and I can't wait for it to get here.

Grizabella

Holistic Tarot by Benebell Wen. I was kind of skeptic when seeing reviews of it, people were describing it as if she has this very academic approach to tarot which turned me off even though I've loved her blog for some time now. But when I read some excerpts on her website I had to order it immediately - and I'm sooo glad I did!

It is full of information, exercises, spreads, theories and just... It has everything! And she writes in a way that is very easy to take in, and often with a hint of humor. I'm really starting to think this might be THE tarot book for me.

For once I don't have a book on my "waiting list" since Holistic Tarot is like 850 pages thick lol so might take some time to finish... ;)

I was torn on this one. I love big, fat books, but she's so adamantly anti-fortune telling that I passed when I had money for spending on books.

I just picked this up at barnes and noble last night. I have yet to open it. It came with a set of The Rider Tarot Deck and a book by Amber Jayanti. It was 30 bucks. I didnt know if maybe someone would have a better suggestion of where to spend 30 buck on trying to learn how to use tarot cards for a beginner.

The Rider deck's illustrations kinda remind me of the Renaissance deck I already own and am not very fond of either, but the Renaissance deck was passed down to me so I really want to study it.

I see that the Rider uses pentacles instead of coins? would this confuse a beginner, if I really just want to study my renaissance deck.

Do you suppose the book came with it just teaches you about the Rider deck? the packaging really didnt say.

I understand your feeling about both RW and the book for dummies, but it was only when I broke down and decided "okay, already!" that I'd use that ugly old deck and bought the book for Dummies that I finally, FINALLY, got the hang of reading the cards. Once over that hurdle, it's been onward and upward. Don't toss them. Put them aside. You might feel differently later.

One thing I can assure you of---when you're a beginner, if it has anything to do with Tarot, whether decks or books, don't get rid of it! You may regret it later. If you get rid of a deck or book that goes out of print, when you do decide maybe you want to have them again, you'll have to sell your firstborn child to get them back if you can even find them anywhere.

Also, have you had a look at this one ? Another one I've drooling over:

http://www.schifferbooks.com/tarot-...solutions-for-relationship-readings-5342.html

How in the world did I miss knowing about this one??? I'm going to put it on my list. She's one of my friends elsewhere so I'm floored that I didn't get her book right off. But with the severe illness of a family member, I missed quite a few things.

I'm reading:
  • The Story of the Waite-Smith Tarot by K. Frank Jensen
  • Reading the Marseille Tarot by Jean-Michel David
  • Tarot - The Open Reading by Yoav Ben-Dov
  • Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot by Lon Milo Duquette

I'm really enjoying Duquette's. I think I'll recommend that to anyone who wants to know more about Crowley without actually reading Crowley :joke:.

I forgot to add that I've been reading his book on Chicken Caballah. I still don't "get it" but I'm hanging in there.

Cocobird55

I'm reading the book that was written for the Russian Tarot of St. Petersburg by Cynthia Giles. I'm enjoying it -- the history of Russia is fascinating. The book is very well written, and holds my interest.

MagsStardustBlack

Faery Lights as always although coupled with Earth Magic Oracle. The Pamela is always at hand too.

Faery Lights for me feels like an extension of myself. Its not an easy deck to read, in that the images are not obviously esoteric or any system, the meanings are slightly different too. But now i feel i have a good deep relationship with it, i just love it to bits :)

OOOOhhhh Books :) :)

Nothing yet i just finished year two uni so i need to put text books away and get a good solid book to read for pleasure and fun and not for study :)

CornissMagorniss

"Understanding the Tarot Court", by Mary Greer and Tim Little. I got this a few years ago, but at that point, it was way over my head. The court cards had no individual personality for me and I had not really seen enough decks to understand the subtle differences in "personality" between them. Now that I am more familiar with the meanings of the cards and with different styles and varieties of decks, it all clicks for me in a way that is very exciting. Ironically, the things in the book about using the Celtic Cross spread and interpreting the relationships between the cards is proving very enriching. It's not just about the court cards. Beginning to think that pretty soon I may also be ready to start reading with reversals.
Enjoying all this tremendously.

MagsStardustBlack

I do have a book which I'm desperate to read I have just remembered :) bought it a while back Inanna by Wolkstein and Kramer :) gonna start tonight :)

Late Starter

I've been using Rachel Pollack's "The New Tarot Handbook" for my 'one card per day' study. After I finish that I will start on her 'Tarot Wisdom'.

I'm having a tough time with the court cards, if anyone can point me to additional resources, I'd be grateful.

I did just finally start the court card definition section here btw.