If you were a professional reader and I asked you.......

LabyrinthOfDreams

Yeah, all of the above are correct, it does sound pretty aggressive. I don't have time to explain the reasoning behind all my questions at the moment ( I Will try to later this afternoon) but they do stem from things that were said to me during each reading..... Which is why I posted my questions here, I really don't want to come off as an unreadable asshole. :)

Sinduction

Yeah, I wouldn't read for you either and I wouldn't stand to be interrogated. You could always go in and say, "Could you tell me a little bit about what it is you do?"

Unfortunately, I really think the only way you will know if a reader is bad is to get a reading from them.

JBerry

Previewing a professional reader...

I agree with some of the others, that this list of questions is way long. Why not just ask the simple question: Tell me a little about how you approach reading Tarot? If you feel uncomfortable with the answers, then don't go.

Really, the best way to find out is to go yourself and have a short reading. Some readers may not be 'con artists' but just have a style or approach that is not compatible with you. Because I am a professional reader and very interested in the field, I would have a reading with any professional reader in my area, just for research. Then I know who is out there. There are times when for whatever reason I might not be the best reader for someone, and then I can refer a client to someone else.

JBerry

Cerulean

Just an aside though...they are great questions!

...I like the questions though in terms of tarot readers asking themselves and discussing their thoughts....would Labyrinth and others like a linked thread where we do ask ourselves these questions and talk about them?

And perhaps we might add one or two that we think aren't covered--such as do we integrate astrology and numerolgy or runes in our readings...

But if you think these questions have been discussed thoroughly before, I'll just use them as a basis of a journal thing for myself. Thanks for the thread LabyrinthofDreams...I actually didn't have a basis of asking myself how my reading for others evolved...I don't read professionally for others though.

Best wishes,

Cerulean

franniee

Not crazy about it. I do get questions when I read - the latest one has been about reversals. I don't use them and at least 5 people asked me about it. I don't mind explaining. I also have been asked about my religious beliefs and if I am psychic and how it comes to me... I don't mind then either. I don't really mind being asked about things - I don't want to be interrogated. I love active participation - you knowing the book meanings is not necessarily going to help you when I read because the message is coming to me... People have also asked me about specific cards and told me what they felt it meant and I tell them what I see.....

But in answer to your most important question .... I would get a referral before I go to a psychic tarot reader - that is usually the best way. If you can't then I would do as someone here suggested and take the most inexpensive reading and check the person out....the best gauge is to look into their eyes and see who they are. :)

PS astrology is very complex. Not everyone can pick it up. I have been fooling around with it for at least 12 years and I consider myself barely intermediate.... and I am being generous. :D

Umbrae

LabyrinthOfDreams said:
Do I sound like the Spanish Inquisition here? I'm just a tad bit over the bullshit and I'd like the reader to know that I'm SERIOUS about her claims to be serious. Think I'll offend?
Yes, it’s over the top and needlessly ‘edgy’. So I’ll pretend we’re on the phone, and I’ll answer a couple.

“How did you come into this profession?”
“Back in 1972 I thought it’d be a great way to pick up girls. So one could say I began with the idea of reading for sex; and no, that’s not my current motivation. Are you comfortable with that?”

“Why do you read for other people?”
“There is no correct answer for this; further the answer changes from month to month. Asking such a question allows the reader to discover by self exploration their own path, which defines the approach of the reader, even helps defines which deck the reader may use, and even what ethical approach the reader may use. In this case – the second half of the question must be asked, ‘With all today’s’ science and immediate availability of expert opinions, Why are you coming to a Tarot reader?’”

“What type of deck will you use and or will I have the option to choose my own deck?”
“Is this really relevant? Today I’m in touch with my Gummi Bear Tarot? Do you have a problem with that?”

“Are you comfortable with the fact that I do read for myself and I am aware of the "book meaning" behind each card?”
“Are you comfortable with the fact that I tend to eschew book meanings? Are you going to argue when I start talking about something that is diverse from your knowledge base?”

“How do you think that the tarot works?”
“Totally not important, next question.”

“Do you use reversals?”
“Why? Does it add or subtract from my ability to read if I don’t use reversals? Three decades of reading and I don’t think reversals are important. Totally unimportant.”

“Do you allow any particular religious beliefs to influence your readings?”
“No. Do you allow any particular religious beliefs to influence your life?”

“Do you believe that the cards themselves hold any kind of "power"?
“No.”

“Have you studied psychology (Such as Jung) and do you apply that to your interpretations of the cards?”
“No. And Jung was a wanker.”

“Do you believe yourself to be psychic? If so, explain to me how that will come into play during my reading.”
“Sometimes I am. And no I won’t explain it.”

“Are you comfortable with my active participation during the reading?”
Well you’d better participate, this ain’t passive. Most folks go through life as spectators and wonder why their life sucks.”

“Are you put on the defensive by sitters who have a prior understanding of the tarot?”
“Not at all. I love to read for readers. Readers are my favorite kind of sitters.”

“What type of spread will you be using for my reading if any are used at all and why?”
I dunno. I may use a 5 or 7 card horseshoe. Or the ’57 Chevy Coupe of Doom…Why? The importance of the ‘absolute correct spread’ is pure crap, and is a myth furthered by folks who don’t grok what the cards are saying as opposed to what the cards ‘mean’, so they invent wacko spreads that do absolutely nothing except waste both or our time.

Now I have answered the above honestly. And my answers may have raised your blood pressure slightly…don’t blame the messenger…I was asked.

sweet_intuition

Well, if someone asked me those questions and I was having a bad day (think gay-menopausal type of day), I'd answer them as follows:

(NOTE: Some of these questions were asked when I was in a pissy mood, but never during a reading :D)

How did you come into this profession?

Since my ample hips prevented me from making it as a pussycat doll, I decided it would be cool to read tarot and get paid for it.

Why do you read for other people?

Cause I got tired of reading to my Barbie and Ken dolls. Yes, I have Barbie and Ken dolls, you got a problem with that?

Do you believe that you can solve other peoples problems via "spell work"?

Sure, just don't blame me when you have to sign a binding contract where you clearly agree to offer your soul to Lucifer.

What type of deck will you use and or will I have the option to choose my own deck?

What are you a nit-picky anal retentive virgo? (eeee... no offense to those who are :D)

Are you comfortable with the fact that I do read for myself and I am aware of the "book meaning" behind each card?

Right, and who died and made those who wrote the books the queen of the tarot world?

How do you think that the tarot works?

Do you know how electricity works? And yet you use with abundantly without a second thought!

Do you use reversals?

No darling I don't, and neither do I think they really bring about a difference in the reading.

Do you allow any particular religious beliefs to influence your readings?

The Church of the Goddess Ironica

Do you believe that the cards themselves hold any kind of "power"?

The same amount of power a cup of coffee bean residue, an astrological chart, and a copy of Freakonomics hold

Have you studied psychology (Such as Jung) and do you apply that to your interpretations of the cards?

Would you pay me what the average therapist makes if I said yes?

Do you believe yourself to be psychic? If so, explain to me how that will come into play during my reading.

Yes and No... a "lady" needs her mystery

Are you comfortable with my active participation during the reading?

Would you be comfortable if someone sat across the table from you and remained silent and stoic while crossing their arms and staring at you point blank?

Are you put on the defensive by sitters who have a prior understanding of the tarot?

Nope

What type of spread will you be using for my reading if any are used at all and why?

First ask the freakin question luv!

Again, this post was clearly meant for "entertainment" purposes.. however, asking all those questions before a reading can really create a tension of sort between you and the reader. If you still wanna ask, ask at least one or two but not too much (especially if the reader charges by the hour).

However, if you really aren't comfortable with the reader, then just don't go to them. It'll save your time and dime

Love and Blessings

:)

Logiatrix

LabyrinthOfDreams said:
...Do I sound like the Spanish Inquisition here? I'm just a tad bit over the bullshit and I'd like the reader to know that I'm SERIOUS about her claims to be serious. Think I'll offend?
Yes.:neutral:

If you asked me those questions, I wouldn't need to be psychic or lay out any cards to sense that you have some serious issues regarding tarot readers. Those questions make it pretty clear!:p

Have you considered just going over to get to know the reader? If you wanted to have a pleasant conversation with me, so as to get an idea of my tarot reading capability, then I would welcome that. A conversation is different, though, than spouting off a list of rather confrontational questions. Even if I actually chose to answer your questions (a very strong "if"), I can't imagine how tense that reading would be. I'd be so on the defensive, or just ready to toss you off your chair and out the door!;)

More likely, if you chose to interrogate someone with those questions, it's a good chance that your attitude will make them uncomfortable. In the real world, they'll probably just refer you to someone else. Sure, doing that risks your assumption that they are indeed a charlatan, and that your questions somehow "caught" them. They won't care, though, because they would much prefer to avoid a "problem" client. They might also suspect that you're someone sent from the city to find licensing infractions or something like that. Either way, it is more likely that all your questions will be a big red flag to a decent reader, and they won't want you for a client.:rolleyes:

Sheri

Unfortunately, there isn't anything in the questions you ask that would give me a warm and fuzzy that the reader wasn't a con. A person who is conning someone most likely will give satisfactory answers. I guess it comes down to what your definition of being "conned" is - is it someone giving you an "off" reading? someone trying to up sell a remedy to remove a curse?

I would check with the local chamber of commerce and BBB to see if there are any complaints against the person. If there aren't, when I arrived at the reader's place of business, I would ask how long they have been reading, how long they have read in the current location/area, and whether or not they have a business license. All of this would make me feel more comfortable that the person wasn't a fly-by-nighter and was in legitimate business. Most importantly, if I still had doubts, I would ask if the reader had any references that he/she wouldn't mind if I called.

:love: valeria

M-Tarot-M

Gavriela said:
Then I must be very silly, because I studied astrology for over 10 years before I went pro with it. You cannot grasp the fine points of natal interpretation by looking it up in a book - the chart has to be blended and weighted - and explained in plain language to the client - and that takes both skill and time. A real astrologer will give you a far better reading than a computer will. And that's just natal. Then there's progressions, transits, returns, locational astrology, synastry, composite charts, Gaquelin sectors, midpoints, horary and medical astrology, and many others, not to mention all the different astrological systems - it takes years of work to become competent, and competent means knowing at least half-a-dozen fields of astrology well enough to practise them professionally.

Numerology gets pretty trippy, too, and there are any number of different systems and influences at play there, as well.

It's kind of like saying anyone can read tarot, or anyone can do magic. There are lots of bad tarot readers and abysmal magicians out there who've never studied or honed their craft, but do you really encourage them to hang out a shingle because 'anyone can do it'?

If 'anyone' could be a competent metaphysical practitioner of any stripe, then there would be no need to ever consult one. Yet - people do it all the time - for whatever reason.

All forms of divination/magic are part art and part hard work, skill, and knowledge. Not everybody has the gift for it, or the inclination to pursue it even if they do have a gift for it.

Your argument reflects a grose misinference. Before getting so worked up and defensive ask for clarification. I said very little for you to draw such conclusions from. Aside from this you are creating a false dichotomy.