The Little Window Tarot

MrsOnePotato

Well, I've been sketching since summer, and finally started making the final drawings for my first deck. The deck is based on the Tarot de Marseilles, and I am using oil pastel. At this point, I am only planning to do the Major Arcana...but we'll see how it goes...

It has been many years since I've used this medium...so I am going to take my time. There is drying time involved, so I'll be working on several drawings at a time in different stages. When I have something I consider finished, I will share with the group...

Wish me luck...I'll need it!

MrsOnePotato

temperlyne

Can't wait to see it! I'm curious how you will translate the classic marseille images into your own style.

I'm working in oils (paint) myself because of the drying time, it makes me more flexible with my time.

MrsOnePotato

temperlyne

art school... I would have loved to go there! Maybe one day in the future I will.

I can definately see a resemblance between your style and the marseille tarot and look forward to seeing the first card appear on the board. The crude images of the marseille can really benfit from a richer colorscheme I think.

MrsOnePotato

First card

Well, I had the whole week off, so I had lots of time to work...here's the first card that is 'finished'...although I probably won't be able to resist the urge to go in and fuss with it a little more.

http://members.aol.com/fiveoakleaves/artwork/mop_moon.jpg

Next cards to be done will probably be the Hanged Man and the Hermit. The Star is coming along too...hopefully I won't lose momentum once I go back to work tomorrow...

Any comments are welcome,
MrsOnePotato

Little Hare

i love that moon card!... for me the moon card needs to have an extra special drawing power of pulling the reader in and i think you accomplish that quiet well

temperlyne

love the graphic style and uncluttered image! can't wait to see more.

Strange2

Very effective Moon card, MrsOnePotato! I love that look on the face of the Moon, sly yet omoonous! I like the extended arms of the crayfish, which could be interpreted as either embracing or defensive. And the 2 dogs, one wild and baying, while the other is sitting and smiling, echoes the metamorphic nature of the moon.

Nicely done, and looking forward to more!

MrsOnePotato

Thanks for the reassuring comments, peace_pixie, temperlyne and strange2!

I am now struggling to finish the Star and the Hermit. I fear I am getting too fussy with them...I want to keep the bold, loose style. Hopefully one of them will be finished up by the weekend...if so I will post another image.

Thanks again,
MrsOnePotato

spoonbender

MrsOnePotato said:
Well, I had the whole week off, so I had lots of time to work...here's the first card that is 'finished'...although I probably won't be able to resist the urge to go in and fuss with it a little more.

http://members.aol.com/fiveoakleaves/artwork/mop_moon.jpg
That Moon card is AMAZING. :eek: I am totally in love with it!!! Seriously, MrsOnePotato, if the whole set is going to look like that (and, as a bonus, be based on the Marseilles, as you say) then you can include me on your pre-order list right away - no question about it.

I think you owe it to us (me) now to complete all 22 cards! ;)

Spoon