Morinus Versions 5.5/6.0

Minderwiz

I had an interesting experience when copying over my saved charts from version 4.5. I was able to open them and work with them in the new version, but when I tried to save my changes I got an "Error with Chart" message and the changes were lost. Turns out that in Windows 7 (and probably in Vista as well), I had to go into the security module and set the permissions individually so that both Administrator and User have full access. I tried doing it at the HORS folder level but that wasn't enough. After I set each chart file's access parameters I had no further problems.

Interesting!!

I've transferred .hor files between various versions, both full and traditional under XP, Vista and Windows 7 nd not had any issues at all. However, when installing Janus, the instructions were to modify the security permissions, in the same way that you describe,

If you had the issue, I'm sure someone else will, so I now know what to suggest.

kalliope

Hi Minderwiz,

I'm back at my horary attempts, and in preparing to go through your Horary DIY thread I just went through the setup for the new version of Morinus (thanks for the heads-up about it here!). I have a quick question about the Part of Fortune settings:

The new version of the Traditional Morinus seems to have a different screen setup when setting options for the various Lots, and from what I can tell, the default settings only have the Lot of Fortune as a diurnal calculation. (It's also the only Lot added.) It appears that one would need to manually add the nocturnal formula, or any other Lot's formula, for that matter. Am I correct about this?

I just checked the options for the Part of Fortune in the regular Morinus, and it has two choices for formulas if you want different day/night formulas, and they are opposites of each other. Which one is correct?

For reference, I have attached screenshots of the Lots options for both versions of Morinus.

Do you have any resource suggestions for a list of Arabic Part formulas?

Attachments

• MorinusTraditional_Lots.png
    MorinusTraditional_Lots.png
    22.3 KB · Views: 221
  • MorinusRegular_Lots.png
    MorinusRegular_Lots.png
    18.9 KB · Views: 246

Minderwiz

Hi Kalliope.

To use the Lots to their full potential you need the Traditional Version (though you can easily install both versions as I have done). Actually both Morinus' versions allow you to use the same formulae for the Lot of Fortune.... they simply go about it in different ways.

The rest of this answer relates to the Traditional Version.

From the Options Menu

Select Lots, which will take you to the Lots editor, (which is shown in your screen shot). The Lot of Fortune is pre-entered, as you point out. The default is to have the 'Diurnal' box ticked, as shown in your screen shot.

This actually means that the formula shown is reversed automatically for Nocturnal charts, i'e' it results in the night formula being reversed to AC+SU-MO, you do not have to enter the night formula as a separate entry (as you do in Solar Fire).

Unchecking the 'Diurnal' box means you get the same formula all the time, irrespective of the time of day the chart is cast. This is the default for the Regular Version and follows Ptolemy (who did not follow the practice of his day and was trying to 'streamline' Astrology). This gives you the freedom to use whichever approach you like, and indeed switch between them by simply checking or unchecking the Diurnal box. I would suggest you leave it checked. And if you use the Regular Version as well you check the bottom radar button to get the same effect (the middle radar button actually gives you the Lot of Spirit).

Yes you do need to type the individual formula in but in the thread I've only used 18 Lots and most lists will give you about 93. Dave also supplied some formulas which he thought were useful.

Once you have entered the formulas for the first time that should be it, because Rob assures me that the file can be transferred to any future version and I've successfully transferred the file between Traditional Versions on three computers, so I know it works.

I might be able to attach the file to a post here, so I'll have a check and see if I can do that.

Some of the Lots in the thread apply to both diurnal and nocturnal charts, so the Diurnal box is left unchecked.

You will also notice the check box to the left of Lot of Fortune in the main list screen (to the right of the editor entry screen) checking this ensures that the Lot shows up in the tables list of Lots for any particular chart and checking Lots in the Options Appearance I, dialog box (bottom left) will show the lots on your chart (those that you have ticked in the Lots editor).

That might sound a bit of a bind but it means that you only get the Lots for a chart that you really want, not the entire list which you have to trawl through. And none of the other software programs are capable of putting the Lots on a specific chart (apart from Fortune), so you get to see at a glance where the Lots you are interested in, lie on the chart.

I've used that feature in a number of horary readings in Round 7, so if you want to see what it looks like, go to my last reading in the Answers thread.

Edited to add

I've checked Rob's email and I've uploaded the relevant file. BUT

Before you can use it you must change the extension from .txt to .opt

Do not change the name in any other way

Then copy this file into the Opts directory of Traditional Morinus - you might well be prompted that the file already exists and do you want to replace it. I'd copy the existing file just in case this doesn't work and put it somewhere safe. Then replace it with the new version.

When you know open the Lots editor you should find 19 Lots, with 1, 2, 4 and 19 checked - those were the ones I used and displayed last. Ticking the others will make them show up in the Tables, Lots list and setting the radar button for Lots in Appearance I will make them show up in a chart.

Let me know if it works - which will mean that others can also use the same file, providing they follow the same instructions.

Attachments

• almutentopicalandlots.txt
    1.2 KB · Views: 318

kalliope

Hi Kalliope.

To use the Lots to their full potential you need the Traditional Version (though you can easily install both versions as I have done).

Good to know this.

The rest of this answer relates to the Traditional Version.

From the Options Menu

Select Lots, which will take you to the Lots editor, (which is shown in your screen shot). The Lot of Fortune is pre-entered, as you point out. The default is to have the 'Diurnal' box ticked, as shown in your screen shot.

This actually means that the formula shown is reversed automatically for Nocturnal charts, i'e' it results in the night formula being reversed to AC+SU-MO, you do not have to enter the night formula as a separate entry (as you do in Solar Fire).

Unchecking the 'Diurnal' box means you get the same formula all the time, irrespective of the time of day the chart is cast.

Ah ha! Now the Diurnal checkbox makes more sense, knowing that it means it will automatically reverse for nocturnal charts. Thank you!!

And if you use the Regular Version as well you check the bottom radar button to get the same effect (the middle radar button actually gives you the Lot of Spirit).

If I'd actually thought about it for a minute I would have figured out that the third/bottom radar button was the right one, since the day formula is the one I've seen everywhere. But thanks for confirming!

Yes you do need to type the individual formula in but in the thread I've only used 18 Lots and most lists will give you about 93. Dave also supplied some formulas which he thought were useful.

Once you have entered the formulas for the first time that should be it, because Rob assures me that the file can be transferred to any future version and I've successfully transferred the file between Traditional Versions on three computers, so I know it works.

I might be able to attach the file to a post here, so I'll have a check and see if I can do that.

Some of the Lots in the thread apply to both diurnal and nocturnal charts, so the Diurnal box is left unchecked.

You will also notice the check box to the left of Lot of Fortune in the main list screen (to the right of the editor entry screen) checking this ensures that the Lot shows up in the tables list of Lots for any particular chart and checking Lots in the Options Appearance I, dialog box (bottom left) will show the lots on your chart (those that you have ticked in the Lots editor).

That might sound a bit of a bind but it means that you only get the Lots for a chart that you really want, not the entire list which you have to trawl through. And none of the other software programs are capable of putting the Lots on a specific chart (apart from Fortune), so you get to see at a glance where the Lots you are interested in, lie on the chart.

I've used that feature in a number of horary readings in Round 7, so if you want to see what it looks like, go to my last reading in the Answers thread.

Edited to add

I've checked Rob's email and I've uploaded the relevant file. BUT

Before you can use it you must change the extension from .txt to .opt

Do not change the name in any other way

Then copy this file into the Opts directory of Traditional Morinus - you might well be prompted that the file already exists and do you want to replace it. I'd copy the existing file just in case this doesn't work and put it somewhere safe. Then replace it with the new version.

When you know open the Lots editor you should find 19 Lots, with 1, 2, 4 and 19 checked - those were the ones I used and displayed last. Ticking the others will make them show up in the Tables, Lots list and setting the radar button for Lots in Appearance I will make them show up in a chart.

Let me know if it works - which will mean that others can also use the same file, providing they follow the same instructions.

Thank you for all of this explanation, and if you have covered this already in the thread on the Lots, I apologize, since I haven't read that one yet and didn't know.

You'll be happy to know that the transfer of the file you posted WORKED! So anyone else looking to use the same shortcut should be able to do so successfully.

Thanks very much!!

FYI, for anyone running Morinus on a Mac (by using Crossover or Wineskin), when you change the file extension from .txt to .opt, do it by going to the Get Info screen for the file (Command-I), not just by editing the file name in the Finder. When I did the latter, it secretly had kept the .txt extension (my file ended with .opt.txt) so it didn't work. Once I looked in the Get Info screen, I edited it properly and it worked just fine. And for the record, I'm still using Crossover to run Morinus, and it works perfectly. The Morinus website claims that Wineskin will do the same, and that one is free so it's worth a try!

Minderwiz

Thanks for trying the file transfer and it's good to know that it will work on a Mac as well. I'm going to post the same instructions and file in a new short thread so it is more likelly to be noticed by Morinus users.

Thanks again for your help!

kalliope

I have a few questions about reading the aspect table in Morinus. There seems to be a system of grading going on, but I'm too obtuse to understand it!

--Some of the aspects are in a larger font, but this doesn't seem directly related to power, since some that are bold/large are farther from perfection than ones that aren't bold/large.

--Some also have a small black triangle in the upper corner. Is this a code for applying vs separating?

--Why are some aspects listed by the difference between the planets (i.e. 122.0 for a trine), and yet others show the difference from perfection (0.9 for a different trine)?

Thanks!

Minderwiz

I must admit that I never use this table. I check aspects by sight from the chart and I have the aspect lines switched off.

I will have a look st the table and get back to you. it will be later on as I'm going out for the day.

Minderwiz

Right I took a look at the table for a sample chart:

Remember at the outset that Traditional orbs are the property of the planet, not the aspect. So Jupiter's orbs are the same (10 degrees) no matter what the aspect is.

Secondly, not all planets have the same orbs - the Sun is 15 degrees but Mercury, Mars and Venus are all 7 degrees, Saturn in 9 degrees, Moon 12 degrees (though you might find some variances between authors).

So:

Bold/large type signals an aspect in orb - the type of aspect is shown in the box. It's quite possible for a separation of 112 degrees to be a trine for Jupiter, and Venus but not for Venus and Mars.

This means that you will get bold/large for a separation of around 11 degrees for Jupiter and the Moon but will not get bold or large for a separation of 8 degrees between Venus and Mars.

The black small triangle in the top left corner indicates an applying aspect.

The only thing I can't see from your example is a separation of 122 degrees that is not shown bold, unless it's between two points - the Ascendant can't aspect the North Node for example because neither has orbs. So if it's not points (including house cusps) please get back to me.

Edited to add:

Where there is an aspect you will get the aspect symbol and the number of degrees from perfection (whether applying or separating) thus where there is the 10 degree separation for a trine between Moon and Jupiter the box will say 10.0 and have the trine symbol. if there is no aspect within orb you will just get the number of degrees of separation (e.g. 112 for the Mars/ Venus example)

kalliope

Hi Minderwiz,

Thanks for taking a look at the aspect table. I should probably practice finding the aspects by sight on the chart itself, like you do. (And Traditional Morinus makes this quite easy with the clickable planets to show find the overlapping orbs.) But in the meantime, I enjoy the aspect grids as a shortcut, which is how I found myself staring dumbly at Morinus's version of the grid.

I do understand the planet-based orbs (instead of angle-based orbs), so I don't think my confusion is there. I've pulled up the first example chart from the Horary DIY thread to use as an example here: Inanna's Horary. I've uploaded a screenshot of the aspect grid.

Bold/large type signals an aspect in orb - the type of aspect is shown in the box. It's quite possible for a separation of 112 degrees to be a trine for Jupiter, and Venus but not for Venus and Mars.

This means that you will get bold/large for a separation of around 11 degrees for Jupiter and the Moon but will not get bold or large for a separation of 8 degrees between Venus and Mars.

The black small triangle in the top left corner indicates an applying aspect.

The only thing I can't see from your example is a separation of 122 degrees that is not shown bold, unless it's between two points - the Ascendant can't aspect the North Node for example because neither has orbs. So if it's not points (including house cusps) please get back to me.

Thanks for confirming that the black corner triangles are for applying aspects. I've also realized that what I thought was a special large/bold font for some of the aspects is just due to the smaller orbs having a larger font simply because they will fit in the box! And now I understand that:
  • if the aspect is between a planet and a point or house cusp, it will show the aspect symbol, but will show the distance between the two points (i.e. Jup-Asc=119.4, Venus-Asc=59.6, Merc-MC=61.6,
  • but if the aspect is between two planets, then the measurement is listed as the difference from perfection (i.e. Sun-Saturn=4.5, Sun-Mars=1.8, Venus-Jupiter=0.2, Moon-Mercury=0.1).

You cleared up the important parts of my question, so thank you!

This is not really so important, but here is my final but of confusion. Why do some of the within-orb aspect boxes have a double border and some do not? At first I thought it was only aspects that were partile (that's the correct term, right, to mean within 1 degree of perfection?), but then I noticed that there were a few that weren't doubled, so I can't find a hard and fast rule. Then I thought that it was only for planets and important points, but then I noticed that the Moon & 12th-house-cusp aspect gets a double-border. For example, these aspects have the double border: Jupiter-Asc, Venus-Asc, Venus-Jupiter, Moon-Merc, and Moon-12thCusp (on the cusp grid).

These aspects are partile, but don't have double-borders: Moon-3rdCusp, Mercury-3rdCusp, Sun-11thCusp. There are several others that aren't doubled, but their orbs are greater. I've noticed the same thing in my own natal chart's grid.

Can you make any rhyme or reason out of this one?

(I'll bet you're glad about now that you don't normally bother yourself with these darned aspect grids, aren't you! ;) )

Attachments

• InannaHoraryAspectGrid.png
    InannaHoraryAspectGrid.png
    39.7 KB · Views: 209